Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Guest MattP

I'll give a shout out to Hunky Dory.

Changes, Oh you Pretty Things, Quicksand, Life on Mars, Queen Bitch and Kooks are all classic Bowie.

34 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

No love here for Magic Dance, the song Bowie wrote and performed in his role as Goblin King in the film Labyrinth? Bit of a guilty pleasure of mine.

Was just coming on here to say the same thing. A coked-up masterpiece of a performance. Also Jennifer Connolly....

• Like 1

I like Bowie but usually go through periods where I constantly listen to him.

The one thing that stands out for me is how influential he was. Musicians from every genre talk about how great he was, from Madonna to Kanye West.

'Spiders From Mars', 'Alladin Sane' and 'Hunky Dory' are superb albums. I'd love to have seen him live, particularly as Ziggy Stardust.

• Like 1

Guest seanfox778
5 hours ago, bovril said:

Was just coming on here to say the same thing. A coked-up masterpiece of a performance. Also Jennifer Connolly....

She’s my favourite actress. Been in love with her for about 20 years lol

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I like Bowie but usually go through periods where I constantly listen to him.

The one thing that stands out for me is how influential he was. Musicians from every genre talk about how great he was, from Madonna to Kanye West.

'Spiders From Mars', 'Alladin Sane' and 'Hunky Dory' are superb albums. I'd love to have seen him live, particularly as Ziggy Stardust.

Saw him in 1990, wall to wall hits but the venue, Ingliston market, Edinburgh was awful. The place was used for exhibiting and selling cattle ffs. Not sure what made him play there, it was not a regular venue for music as far as I remember.

I agree though, he was hugely influential for lots of musicians.

Set list
Space Oddity
Changes
TVC15
Rebel Rebel
Golden Years
Be My Wife
Ashes to Ashes
John, I'm Only Dancing
Queen Bitch
Fashion
Life on Mars?
Blue Jean
Let's Dance
Stay
China Girl
Ziggy Stardust
Sound and Vision
Station to Station
Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)
Young Americans
Panic in Detroit
Suffragette City
Fame
"Heroes"

Encore:
The Jean Genie
Pretty Pink Rose
Modern Love
Rock 'n' Roll Suicide

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Edited by Max Wall
  • Like 1

I don't know if this is unpopular but it shouldn't be - but the continous hero worship of David Bowie is sick tbh.

The guy was almost certainly a massive paedophile who took advantage of young fans and slept with 13 year old girls (Dana Gillespie and Lori Maddix are well known - but likely hundreds more).

Exactly the same with Jimmy Page who kidnapped a 14 year old girl to take on tour with  him and is notorious for having 12 year olds in his room after gigs. (No wonder he recently married a 19 year old while in his 70s, the sick old man).

How neither of them have been exposed yet in an Operation Yewtree style investigation when this is all open secrets and has corroborated in various people's autobiography is very strange and I date say a lot of it due to thrir status and not wanting to bring down sick men because of their music which if so is frankly disgusting.

All of that is allegedly of course etc. etc

Since it briefly came up yesterday in a comparison to the France goal, the Carlos Alberto goal from 1970. It is not a particularly great goal, and there are far better examples of great team goals. It wouldn't even get in my top 50 World Cup goals.

Lineker scoffing and saying 'well it can't possibly be compared to the Brazil 1970 goal' is just a bit pathetic. People only think that because it's such an iconic team and an iconic World Cup. Let's actually break the goal down:

The first bit where Clodoaldo dribbles past 4 players is great skill, but he doesn't actually advance anywhere and in the end he just plays a sideways pass. It's not like he's got the Italians chasing back towards their own goal and created a massive hole that they can't recover from.

The next pass is just a basic one up the line, under no pressure. Then Jairzinho comes inside (hehe) way to easily from a defensive point of view.

Italy are basically walking and when Pele gets it he's just standing there, no one bothering to close him down, which tbf is hardly surprising considering the boiling heat and the fact they're 3-1 down with a minute to go. Pele then just lazily passes it to his right where Carlos Alberto has made a good run but completely untracked by the knackered Italians. The finish is a good one but not an astonishing one.

I'm really not sure what it is that is so impressive about this goal. The Brazilians don't have to move the ball quickly, none of the passes are particularly difficult or brilliant and none of them actually split the defence. It is a good goal, not a great goal. I think if we're honest people just think it's a great goal because they've been told it's a great goal all their life.

It's a bit disrespectful to teams that have scored better goals to say it's not as good because their team isn't as iconic, or old. Compare it to these 2:

I'm not bothered that there's 26 passes in this move or whatever it is, but the last bit is amazing. The quality you need to play some of those one-touches at that speed is incredible. Splits them open in about 5 seconds.

Again, beautiful one-twos take a team apart in seconds.

The movement off the ball, the intelligent first time passes, the speed in which they get from defending their own box to scoring, the weight and timing of the last pass....that is a proper goal.

Just drives me mad that nostalgia seems to be a more important factor than the actual quality of the goal.

On 01/07/2018 at 11:47, Kitchandro said:

Since it briefly came up yesterday in a comparison to the France goal, the Carlos Alberto goal from 1970. It is not a particularly great goal, and there are far better examples of great team goals. It wouldn't even get in my top 50 World Cup goals.

Lineker scoffing and saying 'well it can't possibly be compared to the Brazil 1970 goal' is just a bit pathetic. People only think that because it's such an iconic team and an iconic World Cup. Let's actually break the goal down:

The first bit where Clodoaldo dribbles past 4 players is great skill, but he doesn't actually advance anywhere and in the end he just plays a sideways pass. It's not like he's got the Italians chasing back towards their own goal and created a massive hole that they can't recover from.

The next pass is just a basic one up the line, under no pressure. Then Jairzinho comes inside (hehe) way to easily from a defensive point of view.

Italy are basically walking and when Pele gets it he's just standing there, no one bothering to close him down, which tbf is hardly surprising considering the boiling heat and the fact they're 3-1 down with a minute to go. Pele then just lazily passes it to his right where Carlos Alberto has made a good run but completely untracked by the knackered Italians. The finish is a good one but not an astonishing one.

I'm really not sure what it is that is so impressive about this goal. The Brazilians don't have to move the ball quickly, none of the passes are particularly difficult or brilliant and none of them actually split the defence. It is a good goal, not a great goal. I think if we're honest people just think it's a great goal because they've been told it's a great goal all their life.

It's a bit disrespectful to teams that have scored better goals to say it's not as good because their team isn't as iconic, or old. Compare it to these 2:

I'm not bothered that there's 26 passes in this move or whatever it is, but the last bit is amazing. The quality you need to play some of those one-touches at that speed is incredible. Splits them open in about 5 seconds.

Again, beautiful one-twos take a team apart in seconds.

The movement off the ball, the intelligent first time passes, the speed in which they get from defending their own box to scoring, the weight and timing of the last pass....that is a proper goal.

Just drives me mad that nostalgia seems to be a more important factor than the actual quality of the goal.

Still a great goal but.  X

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Harry Kane seems like a genuinely nice down to earth bloke. 

hard to dislike the fella tbh. good at the game and seems positive and grounded, all things considered.

neymar jr. now there's a cvnt that's easy to hate. 

Edited by lifted*fox

13 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Thracian has another account, based on seeing some essay-style posts that appear similar in language style to what he has adopted in the past.

Stormed off after his ban for his disgusting baseless homophobic rants and then comes back as an alias because he's too much of a bitch to face the music? 

Sounds about right. 

Hi Thracian if you're reading this. :wave: