Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Again, that was £10, delivered.  Still pretty feeble, but comparing it to a £30 shop you do yourself is nonsense.

Are we paying the company £30, or are we paying them to provide £30 of food. I'm gonna take a guess we paid more that £30 per package, to provide £30 of food.

9 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Are we paying the company £30, or are we paying them to provide £30 of food. I'm gonna take a guess we paid more that £30 per package, to provide £30 of food.

3 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

What's nonsense is the packages that families got, whether it's a tenner or 30 quid or a ton you can't in all conscience think that's acceptable. 

No one is paying anyone £30. It was a made up number.

Cost aside yes the packages were not good enough, which presumably is why parents can now choose vouchers instead, and some schools have cancelled the caterers off their own back.

12 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I think the basics are there, but I put more in my kids lunchboxes than that, and they eat it all most of the time.

Half a carrot though, I mean a bag of carrots is so cheap the effort to cut it would be more expensive than the carrot.

My kids would never have eaten all of that in one week for lunch each, but I guess they're all different 

Funnily enough, I came on here to post about school meals, but a slightly different unpopular opinion...

My opinion is that actually delivering food rather than vouchers is actually a good idea. This is based on the assumption that vouchers are for supermarkets and therefore could be misspent or spent on food for adults rather than children.

The downside to this is that if your kid is a fussy eater, which most are, having your food picked for you isn't ideal - but the deliveries seem to be fairly generic.

I also find the sensationalism around the crap photo of a few bruised bananas on someone's tatty carpet floor, and how it compares to some photoshopped staged photo of a parcel from some other country, laughable. People lap it up though. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Buce said:

There's a surprise.

Where's the surprise? That I think one full loaf of bread, filling for sandwiches, 5 pieces of fruit, 5 snacks and fresh vegetables is enough for one child for five lunches? It's exactly the same as I would put in their lunch boxes, although they wouldn't eat a whole loaf each in a week :unsure:

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

I imagine if the tories gave her half a rotten apple she'd claim it was enough.

How much more food would you expect one child to eat for lunch, in five days? I've got 3 children, and I can honestly say not one of them could eat all that for lunch over 5 days :unsure:

I absolutely believe that a large amount of child poverty in the UK is down to woeful parenting, neglect and poorly prioritised money BUT no child should suffer so much better provision is needed. Those food parcels pictures doing the rounds make me sick. 

21 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

How much more food would you expect one child to eat for lunch, in five days? I've got 3 children, and I can honestly say not one of them could eat all that for lunch over 5 days :unsure:

Oh I'm not talking specifically about the package, I'm just talking about the fact you'd claim half a rotten apple was enough if the tories provided it :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, January47 said:

And a lot is down to single parent families where (usually) the father has left, doesn't contribute and the mother can be left to bring up the kids on benefits or minimum wage jobs

This rings truer in my experience, rather than other people on the thread who just blame poor parenting.

I only know 2 people on benefits and they're both single mothers. In each case their benefits have never fully cover rent, essential bills and food. They are forever juggling between having a decent meal and not being evicted. They never let their children go without food, but they often do. One girl I know, her ex boyfriend hasn't paid child support for 4 years, despite her constantly pressuring child maintenance. 

And their situation - one has a daughter with autism who she needs to take to/from school, which limits her work opportunities, and the other worked full time until April and was made redundant.

But yeah, it's all down to poor parenting and them spending their money on other things :huh:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

This rings truer in my experience, rather than other people on the thread who just blame poor parenting.

I only know 2 people on benefits and they're both single mothers. In each case their benefits have never fully cover rent, essential bills and food. They are forever juggling between having a decent meal and not being evicted. They never let their children go without food, but they often do. One girl I know, her ex boyfriend hasn't paid child support for 4 years, despite her constantly pressuring child maintenance. 

And their situation - one has a daughter with autism who she needs to take to/from school, which limits her work opportunities, and the other worked full time until April and was made redundant.

But yeah, it's all down to poor parenting and them spending their money on other things :huh:

I was raised by a single parent so I've always had a respect for them but since my daughter was born, I honestly don't know how they do it. Having kids is tough but managing it on your own is nothing short of miraculous. These folk need all the help we can give them. 

Like someone said earlier, folk always go on about looking after our own first but when it comes to actually doing it, our own are suddenly not worthy of it. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

I dunno dude I got loads of remastered Sahotas, Malkit Singh stuff

Yeah, a lot of stuff has been remastered now. But a large of part of vinyl getting the “sounds better” rep is from before this happened. And it’s true. The first Stone Roses album sounded shit on CD before the remastered version came out. 

• Like 1