Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

This is football related. I dont see anything at all wrong with players waving an imaginary yellow/red card. If I'm playing and the opponent smashes into my team mate (Hayden on Praet last year for example) you damn right im gonna gesture my fingers to the ref to send him off.

British football culture is bizarre in many ways. Vinnie Jones can commit GBH on someone but if Ossie Ardiles did card waving gestures he would be called a disgrace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest seanfox778
32 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Unpopular opinion - Not Another Teen Movie is one of the best comedy movies of the noughties.

I'm with you on that! 

10 hours ago, Nalis said:

Unpopular opinion - Not Another Teen Movie is one of the best comedy movies of the noughties.

The amount of times me and my brothers would rewind the 'I just jerked off in your French toast' part as kids lol

I mean, it's probably not the best part of the film, or even funny anymore but it use to get us every time back then haha

On 26/01/2021 at 12:20, filbertway said:

Talking of comedy being subjective, the Del Boy falling over in the pub scene gets a lot of love, but I think this is probably my favourite funny scene in the show 

Batman & Robin was probably my fave 'set piece' moment but this one is class.

What I find with OF&H is even though I know the punchline, it still makes me laugh when delivered.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Batman & Robin was probably my fave 'set piece' moment but this one is class.

What I find with OF&H is even though I know the punchline, it still makes me laugh when delivered.

More of a chandeliers man myself. 

• Like 1

Publicising every time a football player gets sent a racist message does more harm than good. Of course people need to be made aware of racism on social media needs, but every time a player gets racially abused on social media and it’s publicised, it happens again shortly after. I suspect the vast majority of the perpetrators are not even adults, and are just 12 year olds sitting in their bedroom wanting some attention. I think it would be best to give them the recognition the recognition they deserve and tackle the issue on a collective level. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Publicising every time a football player gets sent a racist message does more harm than good. Of course people need to be made aware of racism on social media needs, but every time a player gets racially abused on social media and it’s publicised, it happens again shortly after. I suspect the vast majority of the perpetrators are not even adults, and are just 12 year olds sitting in their bedroom wanting some attention. I think it would be best to give them the recognition the recognition they deserve and tackle the issue on a collective level. 

I was going to say something similar.

In the last fortnight, on several occasions the BBC have put up in the news headlines "player racially abused on social media".   All that happens is that a couple of days later, another idiot does the same.   It's called the "copycat effect".

Best to just privately report it to the police, and let them investigate and take the appropriate action.   Most people who spend their life on social media abusing people are idiots, and can usually be tracked down fairly quickly.  (unless they happen to be using the dark web, or a non-registered burner phone ... tracking via IP address is pretty straightforward).

One of the reasons they don't publicise suicides, is that it has a strong copycat effect.  This may sounds bonkers, but it is absolutely true.   Numerous studies around the world have shown that when they publicise it happening in areas, they get an increase over the following days/weeks.

In a similar way, they also try not to publicse bomb hoaxes during period of tension or terrorism.   It just encourages loads more idiots to follow suit.

And in the late 1970/80's, they generally only publicsed major disturbances at football matches ... because they knew that by publicing football hooliganism - showing fans invading pitches, fighting, smashing up buses and trains ... it had a copycat effect, and encouraged 1000's more to behave like that.

• Like 4

On 26/01/2021 at 12:20, filbertway said:

Talking of comedy being subjective, the Del Boy falling over in the pub scene gets a lot of love, but I think this is probably my favourite funny scene in the show 

I just been reduced to actual tears of laughter watching that. Bloody brilliant!

The thing is Only Fools and Horses is old fashioned and dated and probably “middle of the road” but it’s such a wonderful show, I love it. I think it’s because it’s got heart. Like underneath the comedy you actually care about the characters. I can’t truly love something if there’s no heart at all. That’s why The Office is a masterpiece and why even though Family Guy has hilarious moments it will never be The Simpsons. X 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 2

On 02/04/2019 at 13:40, Finnegan said:

No, you just have about sixty minutes of the game stuck in midfield both teams booting it back to each other after failing to gain off their set. 

I've come around to liking both sports in my lifetime and I'd concede that a bad game of union is about the worst team sport you can watch, it's awful. 

But otherwise I'd say good union > good league > average union > average league > bad league > bad union. 

I don't really understand anyone that can watch matches like England Scotland or the European quarters this weekend (Leinster Ulster and Racing Toulouse were both amazing) and not love union. 

The break down, turn overs and the potential for chaos they bring are just completely lost on league. 

There was a time you got more broken field in league than union but the opposite is true now. 

Honestly, if you think you prefer league to union I'd strongly recommend you record a few NZ Conference Super Rugby games off sky early morning because I guarantee you'd barely recognise the sport if you're used to watching the English Prem or six nations. 

Sadly this has also become true of Union recently, particularly in England.