Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

42 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

The Arctic Monkeys are a disappointing live band.

29 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

They weren't the first time I saw them in 2007 but they've got worse each time since. 

They don't really put on a show or have much stage presence.

Agreed to a certain extent but I think part of that boils down to seeing then perform in their early days and them never really being able to live up to that. I would still always go and get tickets to see them whenever they tour though. Chasing the dragon, probably, and Alex Turner’s song writing, especially in the middle albums, is a joke. 

I think they’re just one of those bands that never really suited playing arenas or main stages (which is mad for how massive they are obviously) If they could play forever in the NME tent at Leeds that would be perfect for their sorts of gigs. 

• Like 3

Knockaert is a better player than Dyer was. Dyer was very effective and successful for us, but wasn't as talented. 

Knockaert's signing seemed symbolic of our renaissance as a club because after years of dross (even the 09/10 team was substance over style) it felt like we had unearthed an exciting, game-changing player, something we'd get used to over the next few years. He was a great mixture of passion and raw talent. But he clearly didn't live up to the promise we thought he had, and was over shadowed by Mahrez almost as soon as Riyad arrived. 

Dyer is the kind of player that looks great on highlights on Quest but never had the ability to play at the highest level. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Scottish people are friendlier than English people.

Interesting generalisation...

Must admit I've done a lot of work with the Scotch over the years and I've always found them to be great company, very friendly, and good natured on the whole.

I've said before that this myth that they hate the English is mainly BS in my experience.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Scottish people are friendlier than English people.

Tough to generalise about either nation since they are both very diverse. Are we talking Londoners, Glaswegians, Highlanders, Yorkshiremen? 

But my experience in the Highlands particularly has always been great. 

Hard to think of an area of the UK that is less welcoming than East Anglia. Although I think that's less because we're unfriendly and more because people are extremely awkward and uneasy in social situations here. Would be interested to hear how Midlanders perceive it when they come on holiday. 

39 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Must admit I've done a lot of work with the Scotch over the years and I've always found them to be great company, very friendly, and good natured on the whole.

I've said before that this myth that they hate the English is mainly BS in my experience.

Scotch is a drink. :whistle:

Not sure it is totally a myth either about them hating us. I was collected from Edinburgh airport by a chauffeur once (yes, really) and chatted to him as he drove. He said he did this job part time and got a call the night before to go to the airport and pick some English cvnt up. :D

We got talking about football and I mentioned most people I know want Scotland to win when they're playing, unless they're playing England of course. He assured me they want us to lose, no matter who we are playing.

Anyone who is onboard with the the whole ‘defund the police’ movement is an absolute d**k. Currently watching the most harrowing stuff on Channel 4 about the abuse of children. If you’re all about ‘defund the police’, the 100 policemen/women who are visible on the street aren’t going to change, what you’re advocating for is taking funding from the people who have to deal with all the shitty stuff we never hear about.

• Like 2

Sir David Attenborough is a hypocrite, who's marketing team have made him look a bit silly in recent documentary (apologies to my impressionable niece). A man who's amassed more than 200,000 air miles, and despite calls for us to ditch meat only recently reduced his intake to "nearly vegetarian". Sorry, Sir David... You are a legend when it comes to filming wildlife and educating us about the wild world, but your recent plea's seem to me like you're harboring feelings of guilt and want to save your face as we're currently living in a period of severe judgement for our past shenanigans. 

8 hours ago, oakman said:

Anyone who is onboard with the the whole ‘defund the police’ movement is an absolute d**k. Currently watching the most harrowing stuff on Channel 4 about the abuse of children. If you’re all about ‘defund the police’, the 100 policemen/women who are visible on the street aren’t going to change, what you’re advocating for is taking funding from the people who have to deal with all the shitty stuff we never hear about.

Something I absolutely agree with, as I have two siblings in the job, one of whom is a DC in a child protection unit, this kind of ideology drives me insane. The fact my sister tells me she is "snowed under" with work, given her line of work should make any human's stomach turn, and fully support them in what they do. 

8 hours ago, oakman said:

I mean that was some horrific watching last night. We watched it because it’s interesting to see how the police catch these monsters. The reality of actually watching live message conversations between an undercover officer and the predators they're after was not an easy watch. Not in the slightest. I’m not usually shocked massively by most things on the tv, terrifying tv at times that. 

25 minutes ago, stix said:

I mean that was some horrific watching last night. We watched it because it’s interesting to see how the police catch these monsters. The reality of actually watching live message conversations between an undercover officer and the predators they're after was not an easy watch. Not in the slightest. I’m not usually shocked massively by most things on the tv, terrifying tv at times that. 

Out of interest what is it called? I usually watch these but I missed this one? 

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

Sir David Attenborough is a hypocrite, who's marketing team have made him look a bit silly in recent documentary (apologies to my impressionable niece). A man who's amassed more than 200,000 air miles, and despite calls for us to ditch meat only recently reduced his intake to "nearly vegetarian". Sorry, Sir David... You are a legend when it comes to filming wildlife and educating us about the wild world, but your recent plea's seem to me like you're harboring feelings of guilt and want to save your face as we're currently living in a period of severe judgement for our past shenanigans. 

I'm not sure what his motivations are, but it is clear he has been in the public eye through enormous change in how we approach the environment.  Watched a couple of episodes of Zoo Quest, his first BBC series where they are out in Borneo catching / buying animals for London Zoo, including a baby Orangutan.  He may well feel guilty about his past actions, but they reflect the times.  He should also be proud of his impact on sharing nature with the world.

That said I do find the lecturing tone of the recent documentaries painful.  

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I'm not sure what his motivations are, but it is clear he has been in the public eye through enormous change in how we approach the environment.  Watched a couple of episodes of Zoo Quest, his first BBC series where they are out in Borneo catching / buying animals for London Zoo, including a baby Orangutan.  He may well feel guilty about his past actions, but they reflect the times.  He should also be proud of his impact on sharing nature with the world.

That said I do find the lecturing tone of the recent documentaries painful.  

Yea, I don't wan't to have this opinion of him because because I do like his documentaries. But at the moment I find it really difficult to watch his documentaries where he's criticising people for going on holiday, having kids and eating meat.. When he has kids, probably more air miles than anyone else and recently admitted to not even being entirely veggie himself. His long life and long career obviously needs to be contextualised as things change overtime and his line of work has recently really been put under the microscope thanks to the environmental challenges ahead. He is the ideal candidate to make people aware of what is going on in the world, but perhaps his deliverance needs to be better, he is no novice, he has been around long enough to know how to deliver his message, but with the extremely impressionable generation we seem to be in is helps generate unbalanced toshy opinions and articles which muddy the waters diminishing the strength of the real issues. 

11 hours ago, Izzy said:

10 hours ago, bovril said:

Tough to generalise about either nation since they are both very diverse. Are we talking Londoners, Glaswegians, Highlanders, Yorkshiremen? 

But my experience in the Highlands particularly has always been great. 

Yeah, it is very much a generalisation and not really based on much other than my own experience of dealing with people from both countries and those I've met on holiday etc.

Guess my point is the English stereotyping of Scots as sour, unfriendly and bitter (usually put forward by the kind of English people who are sour, unfriendly and bitter) is miles wide of the mark. I actually find them quite a jolly bunch.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I see this accusation so often, probably because most often it carries weight.

However, the problem with it is this: too many people in public discourse say and take "this person is a hypocrite" to/and mean "this person is a hypocrite and so what they say isn't true or important and shouldn't be regarded" or "this person is a hypocrite and so the problem they're talking about is their responsibility, not mine". And those two attitudes are not only misguided, but also massively dangerous for the future depending on the topic. The previous US government spent a great deal of time and money labeling those who want to change the way humans interact with the climate as hypocrites for the express purpose of having an excuse to do nothing about the problem.

As such, my possibly unpopular opinion is that such accusations of hypocrisy, when not paired with appropriate context, most often (but not always) bring nothing to the table besides making the person saying them feel better about themselves and their own responsibility towards the future.

NB. To say nothing of the accuracy of such accusations because air travel and meat eating are uncertain in their degree of contribution to climate change anyway, and we don't have to abandon them to turn things around.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I see this accusation so often, probably because most often it carries weight.

However, the problem with it is this: too many people in public discourse say and take "this person is a hypocrite" to/and mean "this person is a hypocrite and so what they say isn't true or important and shouldn't be regarded" or "this person is a hypocrite and so the problem they're talking about is their responsibility, not mine". And those two attitudes are not only misguided, but also massively dangerous for the future depending on the topic. The previous US government spent a great deal of time and money labeling those who want to change the way humans interact with the climate as hypocrites for the express purpose of having an excuse to do nothing about the problem.

As such, my possibly unpopular opinion is that such accusations of hypocrisy, when not paired with appropriate context, most often (but not always) bring nothing to the table besides making the person saying them feel better about themselves and their own responsibility towards the future.

NB. To say nothing of the accuracy of such accusations because air travel and meat eating are uncertain in their degree of contribution to climate change anyway, and we don't have to abandon them to turn things around.

I completely get where you are coming from. Perhaps hypocrite is the wrong word, but like you say to some degree from his personal point of view he must be looking back on elements of his career with a heavy heart and is using his reputation and position in society to help ease these feelings and also press home the message that we need to change our ways. 

My stance is, whereas no one has a past void of errors in misjudgment, but some should consider these things when trying to deliver a message as important as this they should probably be careful with their deliverance, particularly when you tell people we need to stop eating meat, only to admit in an interview he is not strictly veggie, tell those we shouldn't be going on holiday on a plane, when you've clocked up over 200,000 air miles yourself, and to say having kids is contributing to the climate issues, all are true, but when you can't practice what you preach or don't, should your deliverance be different? I personally just think it somewhat taints the validity of their message, and with all of the information out there does it support the correct advice or the extreme advice born from an ideology. 

I certainly won't be abandoning my efforts to be as green as possible just because I think his latest messages are tainted, but if I were to be lectured by someone, i'd want a full thoroughly balanced approach with pro's con's and a bit of personal experience thrown in I.E "yes I have traveled a lot, I do have kids and I have only in the last few years reduced my meat intake, but due to my life experiences I feel compelled to tell you that...." If that makes sense? 

I Just worry that certain generations are incapable of seeing balance, are incapable of seeing the bigger picture of an argument, that they feel the world is black and white, with simple and often extreme solutions to the issues life presents. And I just worry, that notable figures Like Sir David's message's need to be tailored to be accepted by those with these views... It just makes for unbalanced and messy information being put out there. 

I guess I am a stickler for details and that's what I like to see. 

On 07/02/2021 at 12:35, Alf Bentley said:

If he's a Celtic chair-leader, he must be hoping they move up the table! :D

I can't believe I wrote that but then again it's something I always mix up :whistle:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, bovril said:

Hard to think of an area of the UK that is less welcoming than East Anglia. Although I think that's less because we're unfriendly and more because people are extremely awkward and uneasy in social situations here. Would be interested to hear how Midlanders perceive it when they come on holiday. 

Nobody goes on holiday to East Anglia, I wonder why???:huh:

4 hours ago, stix said:

Yep ...  a very full on documentary that one ...  the part relating to the destruction of babies was the lowest point for me ..  even the policeman struggled with it and had to leave the room for a bit.   Some of these characters just won't stop and this really needs looking at ...  they seemed to think oh well if i get caught I get caught ..  no worries ...  and in the meantime another young life has been ruined forever.  Much harder sentencing is needed imo,  and a 'two strikes and you are castrated' policy might help.