Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Soyuncu isn’t an upgrade on Maguire.

He’s physically spot on as a defender, and he can get himself out of trouble because of it, but he spends so much time in the wrong position and watching the wrong man that he has to do something spectacular to recover. 

With everyone fit, he’s on the bench.

11 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

So I'm guilty of using exaggerated language to state my unpopular opinion in the unpopular opinions thread?  Hardly worth getting the London Tourist Police onto me lol 

lol You're not "guilty" of anything of the sort. It's an inconsequential trivial thread on a football forum and it really doesn't matter. I simply commented that your statement was "somewhat of a generalisation" for an urban area so large and diverse as London. However, since you have explained that crowds induce feelings of agoraphobia I can understand why the prospect of even entertaining London in your head may seem 'vile'.

Imagine if you lived in Night City.

London just seems like a ripoff to me. If I’m going for a night out I’d have just as good a night in Manchester, Liverpool or Leeds and it wouldn’t come with an eye-watering bill the next day. Same goes for general day entertainment. 

Living there sounds grim as well, I’ve never been one to fancy living in a city (although I enjoy working in Leicester city centre) so a massive urban sprawl doesn’t appeal to me. 

4 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

London just seems like a ripoff to me. If I’m going for a night out I’d have just as good a night in Manchester, Liverpool or Leeds and it wouldn’t come with an eye-watering bill the next day. Same goes for general day entertainment. 

Depends where you go

4 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Living there sounds grim as well, 

Depends where you are.

8 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Line-X said:

I was questioning the reasoning behind branding an entire metropolis of such striking cultural diversity and geographical variability as "vile" that's all - not the fact that you don't like the place.

Off on a tangent ....

I suppose it's the same reason why some people might brand entire diverse cultural and geographical groups as homogenous.  

For example some people think if you voted for brexit, you're a narrow-minded backward-thinking xenophobic Daily Mail reading old white middle class heterosexual Christian racist bigoted little Englander.  Even though a majority in Wales also voted for it! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

For example some people think if you voted for brexit, you're a narrow-minded backward-thinking xenophobic Daily Mail reading old white middle class heterosexual Christian racist bigoted little Englander.  Even though a majority in Wales also voted for it! 

Yeah, clearly nonsense.

I'm sure some of them read the Telegraph...

Edited by Buce

5 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Off on a tangent ....

I suppose it's the same reason why some people might brand entire diverse cultural and geographical groups as homogenous.  

Never quite comprehended that - given that the improved infrastructure and civil engineering projects, urban development, the business start ups, skills and training initiatives and increased connectivity in depressed areas such as the valleys was made possible through ERDF/ESF initiatives.

38 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Never quite comprehended that - given that the improved infrastructure and civil engineering projects, urban development, the business start ups, skills and training initiatives and increased connectivity in depressed areas such as the valleys was made possible through ERDF/ESF initiatives.

Yeah - ungrateful bleeders!  That's the trouble with people - improve their circumstances,  and the next thing you know they start thinking for themselves. Even forming opinions that might differ from conventional wisdom...

On 02/02/2021 at 12:32, BenTheFox said:

John Moss was 100% right to send Vardy off against West Ham in 2016. 

On 02/02/2021 at 16:35, Corky said:

He was, but his refereeing in the rest of the match was woeful.

On 02/02/2021 at 17:14, Sampson said:

Vardy went down easily but there was clear contact. And you don't get penalties if you don't go down.

It was never a yellow card dive.

There was a tangle of legs / contact.

It wasn't a dive.

It wasn't a foul.

It wasn't a penalty.

It wasn't a yellow card and therefore it wasn't a red.

On 03/02/2021 at 08:30, Webbo said:

Nobody is happy that Captain Tom is dead and he raised a lot of money, was a war hero but I think the coverage of his death is a bit OTT. Nobody had heard of him 10 months ago. 

Nobody had heard of Covid a year ago and coverage of that is everywhere! lol

On a serious point, Captain Tom brought a lot of positive headlines and inspiration to people, not to mention raising a fookload of money for charities, during the worst time post war so damn right we should celebrate his life and achievements as loudly as possible.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

On a serious point, Captain Tom brought a lot of positive headlines and inspiration to people, not to mention raising a fookload of money for charities, during the worst time post war so damn right we should celebrate his life and achievements as loudly as possible.

Sure the guy done good, but a national clap for walking up and down his garden?  If we wanted to retain any notion that clapping for the NHS was more than just extreme virtue signalling then we should have left it as a unique, spontaneous gesture for the men and women on the frontline of the fight against the virus.

8 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Sure the guy done good, but a national clap for walking up and down his garden?  If we wanted to retain any notion that clapping for the NHS was more than just extreme virtue signalling then we should have left it as a unique, spontaneous gesture for the men and women on the frontline of the fight against the virus.

I think it was less about the walking as such but more about a 99 year old war veteran raising almost £40m and inspiring others to do similar stuff when the country was on it's knees.

The man was amazing and we need these positive things to lift the gloom.

I think people are being overly moany about the applause for him.

22 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

11 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I think it was less about the walking as such but more about a 99 year old war veteran raising almost £40m and inspiring others to do similar stuff when the country was on it's knees.

He's getting a statue now.

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Tbf I never thought the applause was a great gesture in the first place, more for the clappers than the clappees.  This latest iteration only reinforces that imo.  As much good as he did I don't think it's equivalent to being on the NHS' frontline. It's getting a bit weird and culty all this clap stuff imo.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

He's getting a statue now.

A statue I can live with. If they want to put one in his home town to commemorate him, that's fine. There a petiton signed by 200k people calling for him to have a state funeral. Now that is ridiculous. To put it into context the last none royal to have a state funeral was Winston Churchill nearly 60 years ago.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Line-X said:

This makes as much sense as being grateful for benefits which you paid for.  They aren't free.  You assume the UK would have done nothing to develop it's regions in the past 40 years, which is a pretty bold viewpoint.  Ridiculous, but bold.

10 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

This makes as much sense as being grateful for benefits which you paid for.  They aren't free.  You assume the UK would have done nothing to develop it's regions in the past 40 years, which is a pretty bold viewpoint.  Ridiculous, but bold.

Strawman, I make no such assumption and UK regeneration is not in question here.

I am an EU sceptic for a range of different regions, but I also understand the benefits together with the cost of withdrawing...which is why I voted Remain, both on principle and predicated upon the disastrous ramifications for younger generations, existing businesses and research collaboration.  

Do you actually understand ERDF funding in terms of eligibility and contribution?  Wales received in the region of £658 million of EU funds every year. It's precisely why the country is festooned with signs such as this:

EHq3wKiUwAEAuzy.png.ecef3209857b03aa18f9f7a9e81d28b1.png

And this...

e10.jpg.421680db784d465a9f6af4a5a3c686c2.jpg

From 2000 - Brexit, Wales benefitted from just over £4 billion of 'structural funding'. This included of note - Swansea University's Bay Campus (£40 million of EU money, The dualling of the Heads of the Valleys road (£79 million). Town centre improvements in areas including Merthyr Tydfil, Pontypridd and Llanelli. A friend at Cardiff Uni works in the Brain Research and Imaging Centre - a £16 million project only made possible by EU funding. From memory the Welsh government/office of national statistics was been able to demonstrate that since 2007 EU projects supported over a quarter of a million people to gain qualifications, helped 70 odd thousand people into work and created 40,000 jobs and 12,000 enterprises

The crux of my post was, that West Wales and the Valleys are a "less developed region". These are considered amongst Europe's poorest regions, and GDP is less than 75% of EU average. It was allocated the money under the EU Regional Policy, which aims to reduce economic disparities between the EU's regions. 

Wales received on average around £245m more from the European Union that the nation paid in contributing £414 million to the EU but received £658 million in funding. So there was a net benefit to Wales of around £79 per head.. 

Wales is no longer eligible for EU funds and it still remains to be seen whether comparable regional aid money comes from the UK government. The level of taxation per head has since increased.

What's your point?

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Tbf I never thought the applause was a great gesture in the first place, more for the clappers than the clappees.  This latest iteration only reinforces that imo.  As much good as he did I don't think it's equivalent to being on the NHS' frontline. It's getting a bit weird and culty all this clap stuff imo.

100%

You almost get the sense those clapping would have internally been thinking "GET IN. Something to clap about and stick on my Instagram", rather than any actual heartfelt emotional response.

Sure, the guy did good. But are people really that emotionally involved in the actions of others? Admirable as they are, I'll be honest, I really couldn't care less.

I'm aware saying that kind of thing makes me sound like an arsehole, and maybe I am. Maybe that's the conclusion here, I just need to come to terms with being an arsehole. Maybe I need to start owning it. lol

49 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

The parish council meeting video isn't as side-splittingly hilarious as everyone's making out. And it's definitely not worth spending 20 minutes watching.

I was entertained by the self importance and people losing their shit, but it wasn't funny, as such. Have folk been saying it was?

It just made me think of those twats that go mental when you park legally outside their house

• Like 1