Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leicester 2-Liverpool 3 post match thread.

Why are we so bad at winning second balls? Literally, I mean literally, we are so, so bad at winning second balls. If lumping it long is going to be our plan B then we seriously need to learn how to take the ball out of the sky and hold on to it. All over the park it's a joke. 

1 minute ago, SecretPro said:

Why are we so bad at winning second balls? Literally, I mean literally, we are so, so bad at winning second balls. If lumping it long is going to be our plan B then we seriously need to learn how to take the ball out of the sky and hold on to it. All over the park it's a joke. 

That's why we need Maguire in the middle to win more of the Ball further up the Field. 

Jeez the hate for King on here is unbelievable. Someone on the match thread even wished he'd break his leg. He got the pen last week that got us a point and created another pen today for Vardy, which if he'd scored would have got us another point.

Frustrating game.

Thought we played with more vigour and desire from 40' onwards but before that looked lacklustre and stale.

Some are saying that we shouldn't be too negative and yes we shouldn't panic but it is alarming to not get anything from both this and the Arsenal game, (we should have also really got the 3 points at Huddersfield). The team gave a great bit of effort in the second half but for me some things just have to change. Mahrez has to be dropped for starters - he is just not in games - give Gray a chance instead and see if he wants to compete for his place and potentially his transfer away form the club. Thought Chills was actually much better tonight, still some questions around him defensively but he is young and I thought he got about the pitch brilliantly, as did Maguire. King just can't be a starter in a 2, I'm sorry, he's a loyal servant to the club and it is unlucky with the Silva deal but I'd rather see a 3 man midfield with Iborra in there as well at least and then maybe bring a youth team player for the bench.

Of course though we didn't use our preseason to test out any of these variations and they will never happen under Shakey. 

oh my word what a match we very were good for most parts and we were the better team vardy was good (bar the pen) and there was a lot more energy in the game then last time enough with the positives though

schmiechel's worst performance for a long time

vardy WTF with the PEN

chillwell can't defend and neither can simpson (tackle the ball instead for waiting for the attacker to cross it !!!!)

all albrighton does is run and cross we need someone who can do more

king can't play in the prem just put ibbora on FFS

we were so unlucky with the okazaki offside and the emre can handball

we have serious problems we should have won the arsenal game and this one say all you like about where we were a few years ago but no matter where we are we have to take points when they are there for the taking arsenal and liverpool were both games we could have won and we didn't something has to change

2 hours ago, somebum said:

He's got to go cluelessly inept 

You talking about Gray? I like him, but I wholly agree. Both Mahrez and Gray need to go, and we need some wingbacks who are elite -- at least one. Mahrez and Gray are hurting us in terms of formation, we are stuck in this 4-4-2, as they cannot play in a 3-5-2, and even a 3-4-3 which Shakey likes and went to today is problematic with their indifferent defense.

7 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

Musa, Amartey, Mendy, Kapustka, Dragovic, Iborra, Slimani , Iheanacho, how much did they cost ? We need impact players not bench warmers.

We will never know if they will make an impact if they get 20 minutes here and there. Iborra and Dragovic looked OK midweek after a difficult start and I would like to see more of them.Craig is going to have to be brave and take a few more risks with team selection  and making changes early in games if we are going to move forward.Surely Gray has to start now he is working hard and can change games

The problem with us is that no other formation apart from 4-4-2 fits us. We are so inflexible. 

The two formations which have have been talked about is 4-3-3 or 3 ATB.

The problem we have with 4-3-3 is that we have 4 strikers and need to play 1. Secondly, we are fvcked in the centre mid as it is, nevermind by adding anotjer cm. Thirdly, simpson cannot attack so it becomes a very narrow formation. 

The problem with 3 atm is really the left wing back position. Perhaps chilwell can fill in but wont be a stable position. Another problem is serious lack of pace playing it, as neither wing backs have any. We may get away with it playing vards and iheanacho but just got to look at everton to see the problem of little pace

3 minutes ago, Swarles Barkley said:

The problem with us is that no other formation apart from 4-4-2 fits us. We are so inflexible. 

The problem we have with 4-3-3 is that we have 4 strikers and need to play 1. Secondly, we are fvcked in the centre mid as it is, nevermind by adding anotjer cm. Thirdly, simpson cannot attack so it becomes a very narrow formation. 

The problem with 3 atm is really the left wing back position. Perhaps chilwell can fill in but wont be a stable position. Another problem is serious lack of pace playing it, as neither wing backs have any. We may get away with it playing vards and iheanacho but just got to look at everton to see the problem of little pace

So long as we have Gray and Mahrez, we are sort of f'd formation-wise. We need to either dump them both, or move to a 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 with Gray as a fwd. What we really need is to exchange Mahrez for an elite wingback. THAT is what this team needs, a true two-way wingback, spend 50 mill on him, get someone with young legs who can score and get back to defend consistently. That would change this team drastically.

Dissapointing result despite spirited 2nd half performance, however the thing that worries me at the moment is strikers not taking any chances unless they are open goals or penalties. I can only think of two decent goals scored that weren't penalties or tap ins in the league this season (Maguire and Vardy from corners). Eventually the ball will stop falling to us with an open goal and I'm really struggling to see where the goals are going to come from. Vardy is not being his usual clinical self with his feet so far this season missing multiple one on ones including two good chances today. Okazaki is never going to bag 15 goals a season but that missed header today was dire, although not always a fan of Albrighton it was a superb cross. Can only imagine the stick if Slimani had missed that. Even Iheanacho missed a clean cut one on one against Huddersfield. Don't know who to suggest up top but we need to finish our chances. I think Vardys 5 goals this season are very flattering although to some extent he deserves them for his work rate and the same can be said for Okazaki's 4 goals, 3 being tap ins and a deflection.

12 minutes ago, oadby.fox said:

Frustrating game.

Thought we played with more vigour and desire from 40' onwards but before that looked lacklustre and stale.

Some are saying that we shouldn't be too negative and yes we shouldn't panic but it is alarming to not get anything from both this and the Arsenal game, (we should have also really got the 3 points at Huddersfield). The team gave a great bit of effort in the second half but for me some things just have to change. Mahrez has to be dropped for starters - he is just not in games - give Gray a chance instead and see if he wants to compete for his place and potentially his transfer away form the club. Thought Chills was actually much better tonight, still some questions around him defensively but he is young and I thought he got about the pitch brilliantly, as did Maguire. King just can't be a starter in a 2, I'm sorry, he's a loyal servant to the club and it is unlucky with the Silva deal but I'd rather see a 3 man midfield with Iborra in there as well at least and then maybe bring a youth team player for the bench.

Of course though we didn't use our preseason to test out any of these variations and they will never happen under Shakey. 

we should have bought zappacosta while no one was trying to get him

Starting to wonder about Iheanacho -- he doesn't seem to add anything to the attack, we look worse every time he is on the field. What exactly is he doing when out there? Very quiet with his play every single time I've watched him, doesn't seem ready to make things happen, can manage a neat pass once in awhile, but other than that, I haven't seen any reason to play him. 

Maguire is hurting us, he is costing us points with his careless play. He needs to get smarter. 

Very tired of watching Kasper lump it fwd. I understand, we are missing a MF who can reliably move the ball fwd. But it is a tired style of play, and it is costing us games. Christ, if we'd had Silva or Drinky vs. Arsenal and Liverpool, I think we take 6 points there. That may well be the difference between Europe and nothing. Such a bloody shame. 

This is the critical time for Shakey, the time we discover whether he is the manager for us. We need to immediately start stacking points. We have played well against some of the elite sides, and yes, we should've taken at least 4 points there IMO, as well as three at Huddersfield. But now we need to press the gas and start pounding teams. We need to let our superior talent show, no more meek, passive defensive games against crap teams where we play for a 1-0 victory on a Vardy counter over the top. We need to start playing 3 forwards and start putting pressure on teams.

How we perform the next 6 games will decide Shakey's fate. We honestly should win the next 6. 15 points plus beat Leeds. That is my expectation. Anything worse than ten points in the next 5 games, we need to think about a new manager.

36 minutes ago, vanity said:

So long as we have Gray and Mahrez, we are sort of f'd formation-wise. We need to either dump them both, or move to a 4-3-3 or 3-4-3 with Gray as a fwd. What we really need is to exchange Mahrez for an elite wingback. THAT is what this team needs, a true two-way wingback, spend 50 mill on him, get someone with young legs who can score and get back to defend consistently. That would change this team drastically.

39 minutes ago, Swarles Barkley said:

I think we can do it with the players we have currently. 

One of the reasons for our troubles in central midfield is the fact that we don't have the quality to play with 2 in the middle and have control of games, especially against the bigger sides which often are playing 3 (AND especially without Silva and James). We are getting outnumbered and it's hard enough not being a possession-based side as it is. We can't just go out every single game with 4-4-2 with the exact same line-up and expect dramatic wins all the time - we have to be more intelligent then that as a team and this is where I am not sure of how progressive or willing Shakey is to shake things up. 

Even in a 4-4-2 we are effectively playing a 4-3-2, with Mahrez performing the passenger role in most games. Drop him into the bench and make him earn a spot back in the side. Bring Gray in. We can still play 4 at the back but then pack 5 in midfield (Gray, Ndidi, Iborra/Okazaki, James/King/Silva, Albrighton) and stick Vardy up top. Wouldn't be much of a crazy change. I think Shinji can play that role as well, moving forward to link up with the wide players and Vards and then sitting back into defend with the other midfielders - it's pretty much what he does already. I reckon that would make us far more solid, harder to play against, better at retaining possession and also give us more going forwards. Iheanacho also looks out of place coming on but I think he really needs to becoming on for Vardy if anything, I don't think it's going to work playing him behind. 

Tough to take and frustrating, but that's sadly become the story of the season.

Vardy smashing another penalty in the middle of the goal - after doing the same in the two previous Prem games - was just plain dumb.

As against Chelsea (and in many other games over the past year), Mahrez was annoyingly wasteful. Drop him and start Gray at Bournemouth.

Just like the gobby Giroud at Arsenal, why did it have to be Henderson who scored the winner? He was obnoxious all game with his constant haranguing of the ref.

We need to break free from our painfully predictable 4-4-2. It's horrible to see the opposition boss us in midfield virtually every game. That Adrien Silva transfer cock up is really hurting us.

Lot of frustration today in sk4. My voice is about 2 or 3 octaves deeper than this morning. Reminds me of the frustration in our second season with claudio.

We have no midfield. The team looks lost. We are trying to play a system we dont have players for.

Cant fault the effort or individual talent mostly... but we arent going to be a top 10 team like that.. need to strengthen up in midfield. 

If we had silva playing for us might look a lot better.

Is shakespeare out of his depth? Starting to wonder....

30 minutes ago, Swarles Barkley said:

I have to disagree that - chilwell has plenty of pace. He was up against one of the quickest players in the prem today and matched him for the most part.  I think the LWB position (chilwell /fuchs) is comfortable. The RWB is the problem with only albrighton the realistic option.   3-5-2 is, I think, the only formation that will allow kelechi to perform. Gray can also play ahead of the midfield three and just behind/alongside the striker. (Vardy or slim). 

EDIT: expecting silva or Iborra to come in and solve all our midfield problems is fanciful - playing 2 v 3 against the best sides on this league will generally result in defeats unless you have NG (and Chelsea are rarely seen playing only him holding) 

30 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Jeez the hate for King on here is unbelievable. Someone on the match thread even wished he'd break his leg. He got the pen last week that got us a point and created another pen today for Vardy, which if he'd scored would have got us another point.

King certainly wasn't our worse player today. But we weren't great in midfield in general and after 30 minutes should have been dead and buried. 

Not pushing the panic button just yet but we definitely need four points as a minimum from the next two games.

Archived