Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Claude Puel - Contender

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Not gonna slag him off before I’ve gave him a chance but I’m not keen and abit pissed off about it. 

I’m uninspired and underwhelmed.

But the last time I was unhappy with a managerial appointment we went and won the league - the following season he did what I thought he would and the reason I was unhappy about his appointment though.

Well, I think we’ll be looking for another manager within 8 to 12 months. 

You could give him until the summer, but then that's just going to look poor to our players as they will know another manager is coming in come summer. We really fecked up not going in someone experienced in the summer if we weren't going to give CS time. 

3 minutes ago, simFox said:

Defence dross, uninspiring turgid football coming up.

Well soon know what it's like to be a West Brom fan.

We already do. Have you not been watching us since the title win? 

Lets not pretend we've been playing half decent football because we beat seansea and Leeds in the cup.

Bar the odd blip its been fvckin dire.

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

You could give him until the summer, but then that's just going to look poor to our players as they will know another manager is coming in come summer. We really fecked up not going in someone experienced in the summer if we weren't going to give CS time. 

I think the team will get fully ripped apart in the summer (we may lose a couple in January) anyway so do they really care.

I think the way the club is being ran we have/will have quite a few unhappy players on the books.

We are now a joke, a circus.

57 minutes ago, cc_star said:

46pts for Southampton is awful, the first time they've got few points than the preceding season since they got promotion

The fact it got them to 8th that year is irrelevant

Oh, they sold some players... they always do & have grown every year by signing & promoting new ones. Puel failed in that

If his attitude, negativity & all round dour nature is repeated we WILL lose players we want to keep that will let us grow

We sold players but didn’t replace them effectively that summer - losing Pelle, Mané and Wanyama was huge. Can’t overstate Mané’s loss who basically bailed out Koeman in the run-in to the 15/16 season.

By contrast, all the new signings -Redmond, Hojbjerg and Boufal- have been disappointing (with Redmond the best of the three but only because he never gets dropped). Throw in Clasie who was meant to step up for Wanyama or Schneiderlin yet struggled and is now plying his trade on loan in the Belgian backwaters.

Recruitment is Les Reed’s job, not Puel’s. So much so that those players were signed before Puel even arrived. We signed Gabbiadini in January who made a difference but not enough to make up for a static, one-paced midfield. Only this summer did we begin to address the problem with the signing of Lemina from Juventus. 

Dont get me wrong: some of Puel’s performances, especially at home and towards the end of the season, left me bored shîtless. We were much much better away from home and would have picked up more points but for wasteful finishing. I can see why we parted ways; but equally I wouldn’t haven unhappy to give him another season -with a stronger squad and a less cluttered fixture list. Puel clearly knows his stuff and is tactically astute - whether he can adapt his style and be more expansive  remains to be seen.   

5 minutes ago, ALWAYS_SFC said:

We sold players but didn’t replace them effectively that summer - losing Pelle, Mané and Wanyama was huge. Can’t overstate Mané’s loss who basically bailed out Koeman in the run-in to the 15/16 season.

By contrast, all the new signings -Redmond, Hojbjerg and Boufal- have been disappointing (with Redmond the best of the three but only because he never gets dropped). Throw in Clasie who was meant to step up for Wanyama or Schneiderlin yet struggled and is now plying his trade on loan in the Belgian backwaters.

Recruitment is Les Reed’s job, not Puel’s. So much so that those players were signed before Puel even arrived. We signed Gabbiadini in January who made a difference but not enough to make up for a static, one-paced midfield. Only this summer did we begin to address the problem with the signing of Lemina from Juventus. 

Dont get me wrong: some of Puel’s performances, especially at home and towards the end of the season, left me bored shîtless. We were much much better away from home and would have picked up more points but for wasteful finishing. I can see why we parted wars; but equally I would have been prepared to give him another season -with a stronger squad and a less cluttered fixture list. Puel clearly knows his stuff and is tactically astute - whether he can adapt his style and be more expansive remains to be seen.   

Fantastic :doh:  Rudkin and Puel a match mad in heaven. :doh::doh: 

Now I don't claim to know how good (or bad) Les Reed is, but reading stuff on here, reading bits he's said he seems to be a decent bloke doing a decent job and you only have to look at Southampton in recent years with their recruitment.

...and Puel failed with him...we have Rudkin...he's got no chance. :doh: 

23 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Not being funny but how would it be reported in Ireland first as a credible source? Like when foreign newspapers were saying in the summer Mahrez to Rome was done for £27 million

Irish Independent UK sport is mostly PA boys and telegraph boys 

3 minutes ago, RODNEY FERNIO said:

I know he lost some good players at the Saints ... but was he one of the factors why they left ?

The bloke sounds as much fun as going in for root canal surgery while suffering from a migraine.

Nothing to do with him: Wanyama had downed tools the previous season and was entering his final year; Mané had outgrown the club and it was open knowledge he was off; and we didn’t offer Pelle a new contract because of his age and we had signed Austin as his replacement that January.

We bought our own hype that we can buy low and sell high and constantly replace players through the transfer market without a drop off in quality. It’s partly caught up with us and Puel and Pellegrino are now dealing with the consequences.

He speaks in tongues about ‘interesting possibilities’ and I can see him riling up some of the English lads. But others will definitely respond to him and he’s actually pretty animated on the training ground. 

I'm a bit 'meh' about it, but he strikes me as a better option than the likes of Coleman. Decent managerial career with an ambiguous display at Soton. The more cerebral Saints fans aren't as disparaging of him as you'd assume because there are numerous obvious root causes for the lesser season on season performance vs Koeman. He doesn't seem a terrible fit. It all depends on how the players respond. 

Archived