Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Claude Puel - Contender

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Let's not kid ourselves here, I am all for giving him a chance as I think he probably warrants one as he's not some lunatic way out of his depth. However, we can be as positive or as in denial as we like but if he struggles to engage with the fans, plays very negative football that doesn't get results and fails to inspire the players then he'll be gone very quickly. We can dress it up however we like but we don't suffer fools here, and if any of the above is likely and he's stubborn enough to not be flexible and change then it'll be a strange appointment and a waste of time which will be a further nail in Rudkin's coffin.

We are caught between needing a strong leader to take back the power gained by our title winning squad and cut misplaced loyalty to players who no longer are good enough but at the same time we need a manager to get the best out of our players and motivate and inspire them as there is some serious talent amongst it. It's a very delicate situation at Leicester and I think time is needed or a very brave and ruthless regime and I'm not sure time will be afforded or a regime of such nature accepted so it appears to me it's likely to end in failure anyway.

This is how I feel. The fans won't take to him personally, Claudio had the warmth and charisma, whereas this guy will have people on his back after a couple of losses IMO.

9 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

I don't think I am inverted. I am very much the right way round.

Fair enough though, if you think we need a big make-over then so be it. It worked wonders for Palace.

Can't wait to see Danny Simpson on the overlap, beating his man and whipping the ball in! N'didi playing ticka-tacka in the diamond. Vardy coming short to link up with Amartey's through pass. It will be like watching blamange trying to ride a bicycle.

I think the words of Taylor Swift are particularly apposite right now:

"Don't say I didn't , say I didn't, warn ya"

I think you just accidentally outed yourself as a fan

Admittedly, I'm not really sure about how I feel with this appointment although, there is one thing that's making me feel optimistic.... The general consensus here on FT is a negative one which makes me think that he'll do well. After all, there was quite a lot of grumbles when Ranieri took over and we won the league, there was then a huge call from FT for Shakey to take over and we saw what happened there so..... yeah, seeing as FT is generally wrong, he should do great!

4 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

Admittedly, I'm not really sure about how I feel with this appointment although, there is one thing that's making me feel optimistic.... The general consensus here on FT is a negative one which makes me think that he'll do well. After all, there was quite a lot of grumbles when Ranieri took over and we won the league, there was then a huge call from FT for Shakey to take over and we saw what happened there so..... yeah, seeing as FT is generally wrong, he should do great!

Jeez, you make it sound like this forum is full of idiots!

I couldn’t agree more :D

1 minute ago, HankMarvin said:

I think you just accidentally outed yourself as a fan

Image result for taylor swift

Oops.

2 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

:D

That's the vibe i'm going for. If the FT witchcraft works, then Puel will win us the Champions League five years running.

When he first came in, the thing Ranieri did though was not change anything. It was only when he tried to impose his own ideas (Musa) on the team that things started to go South.

I just hope Puel has the common sense to realise that you can't make a major switch in tactics and philosophy mid-season.

18 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

Fair enough though, if you think we need a big make-over then so be it. It worked wonders for Palace.

Can't wait to see Danny Simpson on the overlap, beating his man and whipping the ball in! N'didi playing ticka-tacka in the diamond. Vardy coming short to link up with Amartey's through pass. It will be like watching blamange trying to ride a bicycle.

I think the words of Taylor Swift are particularly apposite right now:

"Don't say I didn't , say I didn't, warn ya"

Can I just draw all your attention the fact that we are now quoting Taylor swift songs at each other as a way to put forward our argument.

9 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

and we were wrong about mon, remember the mon out placards ?

16 minutes ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

Some reasonable points but how many years has it been since we got to the last 8.....

Your writing him off before he's even appointed... same as we all did with Claudio.....

Maybe we'll get the same result then, but finishing 8th (with 17 fewer points)  was piss poor for Southampton, so that in itself is not a reason to be cheerful, even if his Nice record is

16 minutes ago, Libertine said:

This is how I feel. The fans won't take to him personally, Claudio had the warmth and charisma, whereas this guy will have people on his back after a couple of losses IMO.

Absolutely, it's the same with players as well. You have to run around like a raving coont to be accepted by our fans.

4 hours ago, Fox Ulike said:

Yes it does. Unless you think we're gonna win the League again?? It's not as good without Kante, but nothing in life is!

To digress, all the problems with the formation seem to come whenever we drop Okasaki.

I'd go Dyche over Puel. I'd go Coleman over Puel. 

In fact, I'd go Harry Redknapp over Puel *

I've actually not got a problem with Puel I just think the current problems with the side just need tweaking, not ripping up. I just don't think Puel is the man for that particular task.

Whatever your perception of the team's current problems, do you really think that a diamond formation is going to improve things?

* This is a joke.

No we won't win the league before ast least 2-3 seasons.

The system is wonky though and doesn't get the best of either the starters or the fringe players.  Shinji, who's used as third midfielder, can be either good or phenomenally bad. Iborra, Silva, Nacho, Slim and Ndidi ain't players for a flat 4-4-2.

This shows how biased you are.

I personally think that the 4-4-2 as we know it is dead and we have to move on. This summer signings only strenghten this theory. Ranieri already recognized the problem in the title winning season as teams sat deeper and began to double on Mahrez.

It became extremely complicated to score even with Mahrez/Vardy on fire and Kante/Drinkwater in the midfield. Can remember of Vardy's and Mahrez's dry spell. What was complicated with Kanté became impossible without him, that's why Claudio tried to evolve into a more possession based play.He just didn't have the players for, tinkered, lost the dressing room and got fired.

Shakey came then as fireman and managed to stop the fire spreading by turning on the "let's play like before" valve. But his fear of failing led him to play too safe and was ultimately his doom. Even if he wasn't helped by losing DD and the injuries, he still didn't manage to integrate the new players, he tended to overly rely on the old guard, his tactics and subs were often mind boggling. He got rightfully sacked. Too bad, we lost a very good coach.

How much this old guard weighted in his decisions on the pitch is something I'd pay dearly to know,

With hindsight Shakey was on a hot seat from the very beginning and never was thought as a permanent manager. Rudkin apparently never rate him as manager (he was right) and wanted Wagner (which was a good choice). Him pulling the trigger early enough to not replicate the last season's scenario, was the right decision IF the next manager was already aligned. Or was Puel or whoever is coming targetted from the very beginning? I don't know..

We have to completely forget about 2015/16 and start fresh. Regularly reaching the top 8-10 should be a good starting point. Challenging the top 6 is wishful thinking. Whoever is coming should have plan for the next seasons and be backed accordingly by the senior staff. No point in signing anyone just to fire the bugger one year later.

42 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

This is it! 

A reinvention takes a couple of years (like Pearson binning off Sven's overpaid Championship All-Stars), if things are too negative along the way, Puel won't get it

All we can do is support the team & wait & see

Cant say he is an exciting appointment but then again i could care less if he was a cvnt so long as the players were  happy and we are winning games. I dont need him to be my mate. I need him to do his job, motivate the players to fight and win for this club; keep discontent down or nil and bring stability to our club.

Now i wouldnt want him fighting with players but its not as if sir alex got aloNg with all his squad (not that im remotely comparing the two).

1 hour ago, cityfanlee23 said:

So just to clarify, he done well at Lille, he done okay at Lyon, decent at Nice, Solid at southampton, 

He made Eden Hazard the player he was when he moved to Chelsea, and he turned Hatem Ben Arfa round at Nice. 

I've gone from meh to content in a few minutes, amazing what FT can do to you. 

Be interesting to see if he can the get the very best of Mahrez then. 

This is a disaster waiting to happen, he did bugger all at Southampton, got 8th place with 46 points!!!!! in other seasons that would put you just above the bottom 3, they asked to change his style to be more attacking, he wouldnt,so they got shot of him, so that on basis he'll be gone at end of the season,but we'!! have lost Vardy and Mahrez in January transfer window 

36 minutes ago, cc_star said:

Not with a team as good as Saints 

8th was under-achievement & 17pts fewer than season before was more than enough to get him the sack

17 points fewer without Mane, Wanyama, Pelle and Fonte (for half a season). Sounds about right. 

2 minutes ago, southfox66 said:

This is a disaster waiting to happen, he did bugger all at Southampton, got 8th place with 46 points!!!!! in other seasons that would put you just above the bottom 3, they asked to change his style to be more attacking, he wouldnt,so they got shot of him, so that on basis he'll be gone at end of the season,but we'!! have lost Vardy and Mahrez in January transfer window 

Stop sitting on the fence! Do you want him or not? 

12 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

No we won't win the league before ast least 2-3 seasons.

The system is wonky though and doesn't get the best of either the starters or the fringe players.  Shinji, who's used as third midfielder, can be either good or phenomenally bad. Iborra, Silva, Nacho, Slim and Ndidi ain't players for a flat 4-4-2.

This shows how biased you are.

I personally think that the 4-4-2 as we know it is dead and we have to move on. This summer signings only strenghten this theory. Ranieri already recognized the problem in the title winning season as teams sat deeper and began to double on Mahrez.

It became extremely complicated to score even with Mahrez/Vardy on fire and Kante/Drinkwater in the midfield. Can remember of Vardy's and Mahrez's dry spell. What was complicated with Kanté became impossible without him, that's why Claudio tried to evolve into a more possession based play.He just didn't have the players for, tinkered, lost the dressing room and got fired.

Shakey came then as fireman and managed to stop the fire spreading by turning on the "let's play like before" valve. But his fear of failing led him to play too safe and was ultimately his doom. Even if he wasn't helped by losing DD and the injuries, he still didn't manage to integrate the new players, he tended to overly rely on the old guard, his tactics and subs were often mind boggling. but he he got rightfully sacked. Too bad, we lost a very good coach.

How much this old guard weighted in his decisions on the pitch is something I'd pay dearly to know,

With hindsight Shakey was on a hot seat from the very beginning and never was thought as a permanent manager. Rudkin apparently never rate him as manager (he was right) and wanted Wagner (which was a good choice). Him pulling the trigger early enough to not replicate the last season's scenario, was the right decision IF the next manager was already aligned. Or was Puel or whoever is coming targetted from the very beginning? I don't know..

We have to completely forget about 2015/16 and start fresh. Regularly reaching the top 8-10 should be a good starting point. Challenging the top 6 is wishful thinking. Whoever is coming should have plan for the next seasons and be backed accordingly by the senior staff. No point in signing anyone just to fire the bugger one year later.

Eh? How biased am I? Towards what?!! :D

Yes the system is wonky. There's no system/formation in football that is perfect - otherwise obviously everyone would play it.

But go on then. What system would get the best out of the starters and fringe players?

Archived