Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Claude Puel - Contender

44 minutes ago, cc_star said:

Not with a team as good as Saints 

8th was under-achievement & 17pts fewer than season before was more than enough to get him the sack

IDK, we had some excellent coaches added to new teams that season as well as massive spends from many clubs, while Southampton was dead last in net spend in 2016-2017. He seems hard done to receive the blame when the club doesn't spend to keep up with the rest of the league. 

37 minutes ago, Wdywd said:

This is a silly argument. He can speak English ffs I've literally heard him. Players are able to cope with people from other countries without their heads exploding.

And in the important news of the day Taylor Swift is the GOAT, deal with it

What position? Wing back or doggy?

3 hours ago, SonicBoom said:

Another Saints fan here. 

Reading your comments with interest and those of the other Saints fan. 

I would say that football is strange. He may well come to you and do an amazing job much like Ranieri. Who knows. 

From my point of view I'd never heard of him. He seemed to have an ok record in France although if you are at Lyon then you have a decent chance. 

That said his low profile gave him a blank page at the start. 

One of the biggest issues is his demeanour. you might think that doesn't matter but interviews are the way most fans get to see their manager. He loves to talk. Often he will give a two minute answer to a simple question but it is monotone and rambling and you realise that he really hasn't made a lot of sense. I gave up listening after a few months of the season. It was frankly uninspiring and dull. My fear was that he must come across to the team in the same way. 

The style of play reflected that. We felt we were a good team after finishing 8th, 7th then 6th in the previous seasons but suddenly we were frustrating to watch. We weren't expecting 5th or better just that we would have a good go at most teams. 

Problem was we often didn't go for it. We went around Europe and never scored a goal on our travels and failed to qualify form what appeared a simple group. Team selection in Europe was also baffling when we needed to win. 

We (like you) got stick for binning him off when it appeared a cup final and 8th was good. How we were 8th is anyone's guess. I can't remember the stats but we didn't score a single goal in the last 6 home games. We did play well in the cup run although the early games were a lottery as we played reserves. The final might have been the best we played all year. 

In the end the vast majority of fans were delighted to see him goal though the feeling was he was a decent man and a good organiser. The frustration and his lack of ability to connect with the fans became too much. 

I suppose we should be careful what we wish for though as our new guy isn't that much better. We do feel lie we are a good side playing poorly and the hope is we will start playing well and pushing up the table. 

You are used to marauding counter attacks and scoring goals. Not really his style. I think he'll steady the ship and you'll pull away from the bottom of the table,  but you might not like the football and for god's sake don't listen to the interviews. Good luck ! 

**** me.

Thats what I thought.

?

This just is desperation Rudkin etc see Everton going for whoever we’ve been linked with and thought oh FUCH we need to sort out someone now without much of a thought as it feels City looks like they have gone for the easy option Puel, I just can’t get excited about this guy reading loads of saints fans wrote And as some on here have said he’s boring monotonous one dimensional football?

Why can’t we sound out Dyche I recon he’d have us playing as we did 2 seasons ago offer Pellegrini a kings ransom if he gets us top 6 and trophies, but Puel it’s almost as bad as Pardew ffs !!

Trouble is tho Rudkin and co haven’t really got a scooby doo but whoever is the next city manager as a loyal fan of our great club I’ll just back whoever is appointed as that’s what we do as fans we trust who’s been employed of manager of our great club and a new era in the history of our club !!

??? Please get this one right Leicester City !! ???

#RUDKIN-OUT 

Honestly what has been his philosophy and style prior to his time at Southampton, must admit I knew very little about the guy. 

He wouldn't have been my first choice but got to give him an opportunity if he is who the club wish to run! Would like him to introduce a new style to our game or perhaps a new formation but we'll see.

1 hour ago, stevelcfc said:

5 laughable seasons where his teams just didn't fancy scoring at all.  

01/02 - 39 in 34

02/03 - 29 in 38

03/04 - 41 in 38

13/14 - 30 in 38

16/17 - 41 in 38.

What about the seasons you left out?

Well I hope he does well.  Let;s see.  Most of us probably judging him off what other people say and from half remembering Southampton on MoTD.  Digging a little deeper he seems a solid (if unspectacular) bet and I am quietly confident.  We have had a mad couple of years and maybe a steady hand is what is needed.  Maybe a couple of years mid table is what the owners are looking for.  It seems (and I may be wrong) that Puel is someone that can lay the foundation and give youth a chance maybe for someone else to then come in and take us to the next level.  I actually think the owners wanted this kind of boss all along and I think this is what they had in mind with Raneiri but then he went and accidentally won the league.

Let's make this precious!  Come on Puel, prove all the doubters wrong.

X

48 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

TBF most managers interviews are extremely boring and predictable nowadays, they can't say what they want to any more

LVG was pure comedy though - essential viewing, McClaren for the same reasons. Mark Hughes always amuses me too because he invariably finds something to complain about. The only manager that I used to vehemently avoid was Nigel because it was so awkward and cringeworthy.

4 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

I enjoyed Paul Clement's interview at the weekend. Deluded fool actually thought they were hard done by.

I can never take a manager seriously who moans about refereeing decisions when they were clearly second best, which Swansea were on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, 80's fox said:

If you want to feel a bit more optimistic then watch this.. 

Thats actually quite encouraging. So if he sets us up okay to create chances I can see us putting more away than they did with our percentages and therefore we should finish better than they did. Im leaning towards lets give this guy a go. He cant be that bad from what he has achieved in the past and we have some good players who should make everything better.

2 hours ago, stevelcfc said:

5 laughable seasons where his teams just didn't fancy scoring at all.  

01/02 - 39 in 34

02/03 - 29 in 38

03/04 - 41 in 38

13/14 - 30 in 38

16/17 - 41 in 38.

I wasn't too bothered before seeing this and thought that the Southampton problem might be a one off. Unfortunately, it seems like this has been a recurring theme in his managerial career. What are the people responsible for this decision doing? I just cannot work it out. Very worrying indeed!

Archived