Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dirkster the Fox

Mahrez v Gray. Gray v Mahrez

Didn't exactly play well together, with Gray the more obviously frustrated by Mahrez selective passing tonight......so....

Can we have them both? You call this:

a) prefer Mahrez for the ultimate magician to make it happen, keep the guy at all costs, despite a likely departure. Place the full emphasis on keeping and playing. Drop Gray.

b) at 4+ years younger and on the up curve, Gray's got lots of work to do. Likely to be around for a while though but should be the one with poetic licence and the main man. Drop Mahrez as he wants out.

c) both on the pitch is perfect and has plenty of attacking potential, despite some clear frustrations. Don't worry about who should be the main creative player, game by game, play both egos it's perfect and others sacrificed and benched is not a concern.

The now, the probable future..........

Personally think Gray is proving himself to be a lot less selfish than Mahrez.

Still don't want to drop Riyad, but another performance like tonight's in the week and he can be benched as far as I'm concerned. It's a team game and Gray is being more of a team player - he has moments of selfishness mixed with lots of team play, unfortunately Riyad is the converse.

7 minutes ago, Blue'nWhiteFox said:

Marez at his best is a world class player. 

Gray ... I'm not sure if he ever will be that...

What do you define 'world-class'?

There's a lot, including Mahrez when he's on it, talented individuals around in the top European leagues but I wouldn't define them as this term as I feel to be world-class - you need to be unique in achieving such rather rare feats many footballers would dream of in being a success as a footballer, such as regularly winning trophies (ala Messi and Ronaldo).

The pitch simply isn't big enough for the two egos. They need to sort it out between them and soon!

Gray behaviour tonight goes along  way towards justifying what has been written about him in terms of attitude.

The dummy spit when he didn't get the ball but we were still on the attack was almost unforgivable. Then getting booked for reacting to a foul with a silly childish push.

If he seriously wants to spoken about as an England chance he weds to work on this.

19 minutes ago, Blue'nWhiteFox said:

No, Mr. Wymeswold fox - I don't define first class player as those who regularly wins trophies.  To be defined as a world class player you need to show a talent that are so unique that very few others in the world are doing the same.  

So not Riyad then

29 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

The pitch simply isn't big enough for the two egos. They need to sort it out between them and soon!

Gray behaviour tonight goes along  way towards justifying what has been written about him in terms of attitude.

The dummy spit when he didn't get the ball but we were still on the attack was almost unforgivable. Then getting booked for reacting to a foul with a silly childish push.

If he seriously wants to spoken about as an England chance he weds to work on this.

agree but not passing it was equally as unforgivable. was an identical one where he could have put albrighton in but decided to have a shot himself on his weaker foot

11 minutes ago, Blue'nWhiteFox said:

Oh yes Riyad.   Sometimes....

Too infrequent. To me world class means producing match winning performances on the regular. He might get there eventually but he’s not yet imo. That’s not to say he wasn’t world class the season we won the title 

Passing or not wouldn't  make a lot of difference because the passing and receiving by these players is terrible. Gray for example underhit/misplaced half a dozen passes.

Gray isn't anywhere near the player Mahrez can be. The problem is Mahrez is our only creative player and sides know that. He's receiving the ball too deep at the moment and under Puel I don't see that changing at all.

Just now Mahrez clearly wants out and is playing well about 25% of the time.

Gray on the other hand can only play well about 5% of the time and during that 5% does about one decent thing. Otherwise he offers very little. His end product is very inconsistent. Would be better if he stayed off social media and worked harder at improving his game. He has talent but doesn't seem able to use it.

28 minutes ago, reynard said:

Gray isn't anywhere near the player Mahrez can be. The problem is Mahrez is our only creative player and sides know that. He's receiving the ball too deep at the moment and under Puel I don't see that changing at all.

Just now Mahrez clearly wants out and is playing well about 25% of the time.

Gray on the other hand can only play well about 5% of the time and during that 5% does about one decent thing. Otherwise he offers very little. His end product is very inconsistent. Would be better if he stayed off social media and worked harder at improving his game. He has talent but doesn't seem able to use it.

I do think that is a little harsh on Gray, he seems to be more of a "team player" compared to Mahrez, Mahrez's performance yesterday was diabolical, I can't remember him actually passing the ball to a team mate at all. To be world class you need to also know how to play with your team, he forgets this sometimes, my only thought is this his agent has told him that it's close to January and he needs to show other teams how good he is individually so to be as selfish as possible. 100% Gray has more of a future here than Mahrez so why not put more resources for him and give him more game time. Don't get me wrong, Mahrez on his day is unstoppable, however he's not really been playing for Leicester City since title winning season, since then mahrez has been playing for mahrez. 

Grey is not liked by a number of Senior pro’s 

Mahrez is not world class , in his very best top form he is a decent champions league player 

there has never been an active world class player at the city in the 25 years I have been going 

kante comes close and maybe in time I’ll feel he was , but right now I reserve judgement 

I'd say Mahrez has unique ability, to bamboozle defenders into not knowing where he is going and he's excellent up until the final third where his decisions are sometimes not the best.

Gray is much more direct and relies on his raw pace rather than tricks. Again he's good until the final third. 

Despite tonight, I do like seeing mahrez play as a no.10 but I think away from home we should go Okazaki there and mahrez right, just so that we defend from the front. 

24 minutes ago, GaelicFox said:

Grey is not liked by a number of Senior pro’s 

Mahrez is not world class , in his very best top form he is a decent champions league player 

there has never been an active world class player at the city in the 25 years I have been going 

kante comes close and maybe in time I’ll feel he was , but right now I reserve judgement 

The world class argument is a bit silly though really, obviously it all depends on how we each define world class. You'd end up arguing to the ends of the earth over semantics.

2 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Mahrez trying to play for himself and a move rather than playing for the team at the moment.

Sad but true.  The irony is that by playing like this he trashes his form and will end up sitting by his phone at cdg.  We know he is a fantastic player. ... I'd hoped puel would bond with him .... but now i see him going.   That will.leave us with gray who seems to have a big sense of entitlement... i am not sure he is going to kick on.   He needs someone to tell him about janazai... dupay... etc

Archived