Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Fleetwood Town (A) 0-0 FA Cup 3rd Round

16 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

The fans were worse than the team lol If a small allocation at a new ground in the cup can't get the away support going, not much will.

I kind of agree with this.  We were always up for the FA Cup years ago.     The fans that is unfortunately since I moved to Japan i can’t see them as much as I used too.  Still watching from a live stream I hardly heard the Leicester fans at all. 

I also suspect the cause of this maybe because those that would have made a noise couldn’t get the tickets IMO ?

I’ve read commmets such as “I’m not blaming Puel.”

We are obviously at the stage on this Forum where the manager is credited with good performances, but has no responsibility for totally shit performances, or where it seems no attempt is made to win the match in question.

What a bunch of sad twats we have on here who have the gall to almost troll those who dare to suggest anything other than Ra ra Claude Puel.

Do they not understand that people are paying out hard earned money to follow the team? 

We effectively gifted a semi final to Man City in a game we could have won if we’d really started as

if to try and win the game, and now that bollox yesterday.

Where was this master tactician we have allegedly employed? 

I do not agree with this half arsed attitude when they are in the business of trying to win football matches.

4 hours ago, Gerbold said:

I heard the opinion from one BBC pundit that it's virtually impossible to field a team with so many changes and expect a cohesive performance. He cited lack of match sharpness in non 'regulars' as one of the negative factors but the other was the unfamiliarity of second-string players trying to emulate the kind of awareness the first team have developed. I thought a team of top-level professionals would beat, on balance, a team several flights below them. Should have recalled just how strong the desire is to topple a 'giant'. After all, we made Atletico work very hard for their progression to the CL final.

City got away with it. Maybe Puel hasn't realised what a festering open sore some of us feel at never having won the Cup.

I watched the Man City game last night - they were transcendent. But it's not football - or should I say, 'cricket'. An article in the Guardian last week drew attention to the manner in which vast amounts of money has mad Man City possible. Interestingly, Fleetwood have had their share of exceptional cash inflow. It's not difficult for a millionaire to get hold of a club and use his (her) spare cash in order to fast-track the the club into unheralded heights. But Man City are really riding the crest of a wave of confidence. Guardiola has suspended disbelief - he has their complete and utter faith. Success and confidence (or vice-versa?) is self-perpetuating. His players know they're exceptional; they know they're going to collect the Premier title; they know that they can rest an injury until they're fit and they know they'll probably get back into the team soon enough. For them the sky's the limit - no doubts - just wondering what they can achieve.

It's lack of confidence, fear of losing ones place and those other insecurities that wear away players and a team. We have a core of players who keep on 'busting their balls' for the Club - Okazaki, Schmeichel, Albrighton, Morgan, Vardy, King (in a manner), N'Didi. What Puel hs tried to do is rest his best and prompt the rest. The result wasn't pretty but it didn't turn into a disaster.

I suspect Fleetwood will find the KP a formidable psychological test - which they'll fail. City will progress one step further and can then concentrate on the League. Puel has to calm it down - with that voice I zeenk he have no problaim.

Far too much common sense in this post for this forum!!

8 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

I’ve read commmets such as “I’m not blaming Puel.”

We are obviously at the stage on this Forum where the manager is credited with good performances, but has no responsibility for totally shit performances, or where it seems no attempt is made to win the match in question.

What a bunch of sad twats we have on here who have the gall to almost troll those who dare to suggest anything other than Ra ra Claude Puel.

Do they not understand that people are paying out hard earned money to follow the team? 

We effectively gifted a semi final to Man City in a game we could have won if we’d really started as

if to try and win the game, and now that bollox yesterday.

Where was this master tactician we have allegedly employed? 

I do not agree with this half arsed attitude when they are in the business of trying to win football matches.

....Simples! --  Its  a business for the club, they are less concerned about what the fans really want ( cup runs and maybe a final even!).

The league cup pays no prize money worth talking about, the FA cup has some prize money but again its a pittance for premier  clubs when compared to another place higher in the league. 

...yes their are Europa league places on offer  but the risk v reward is not ideal.

Sadly this isn't changing any time soon so we have to get used to lousy reserve team run outs. Its just a pity our reserves are so poor!

2 hours ago, desertfox2 said:

Tried to avoid posting yesterday. Why are we writing off the FA cup? The league cup is bad enough especially as we are not in Europe but the FA cup wtf. And we are bang average to poor without Mahrez and Vardy

Madness isn't it!? 

Apart from the cup competitions what else have we got to play for this season? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, desertfox2 said:

Tried to avoid posting yesterday. Why are we writing off the FA cup? The league cup is bad enough especially as we are not in Europe but the FA cup wtf. And we are bang average to poor without Mahrez and Vardy

I don't think we are writing the cup off. Man City went strong yesterday, but they were playing a team currently 7th in the premier league. Same with Liverpool naming a strong team v Everton. Man Utd named a quite strong team but they were against a team currently second in the league below. We were up against a league one team. Naming a mostly second string team that's still full of internationals should have been enough given the draw we had. They didn't perform but they should have had enough to win. At least we've not done a Stoke and name a quite strong team and lost to a league two side.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

All of that is fair enough, but even so the total inability to create even one good chance all game was pathetic. There was plenty wrong today - Slimani totally isolated, the midfield trio absolutely pedestrian as not one of them made a single decent pass into an advanced position all game, both wingers pretty useless.

The set up was poor, but individually the majority of them were hopeless.

I think Mahrez, his presence alone, would at least open up some more possibilities in our attacking play. I can't actually remember us creating so little in a game as that earlier.

I mean agreed had we put him on the bench I imagine he’d of been capable of causing them problems by himself I just think we could of done plenty of other things to cause them problems as well. Ultimately our team selection was, albeit full of internationals who should of got the job done, borderline disrespectful.

21 minutes ago, woollett the bullet said:

Apart from the condition of the pitch did anyone else think it looked quite small ?

I know they pressed and closed down but at times there seemed to be too many players on it.

Not looking for excuses - just an observation

The pitch was indeed narrow and it was in poor condition too. Good observation.

9 hours ago, Gerbold said:

Give the guy a chance. First full game in a 'scratch' team after four months sidelined and you expect a performance out of him. Maybe you need to change your moniker from "Clever" to "Fickle".

I'll forgive any player an off day but I'll never accept any player who doesn't try.. Letting Players run past him and just stopping is unacceptable, Certainly from a player who cost so much and a proven International.  Top players get a grip on the game and show leadership and effort. Silva done neither. The fact that he hasn't played as much competitive football in 3 Months should have meant he was hungry to play. I've seen him play twice now, once in Portugal and yesterday and I'm yet to be convinced that he has what we need, But it is early days. I suspect he might be a moody player.

As for being fickle, no never I'm 60 years a Leicester Fan. 

2 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Looks like Leeds Utd cocked it up playing a weak side against Newport. Some clubs will never learn.

They were 1-0 up until the 76th minute. Shaughnessy's own goal changed everything, though.

Leeds' attitude in the second half was criminal - couldn't really be bothered to score a second, way too lacklustre and complacent up front.

15 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

In fairness to Puel he got Okazaki and Albrighton both on the pitch, and I thought they were both the right players to bring on at the time as we're usually better when both play, but even so there was just nothing from us. The lack of creativity was genuinely staggering. I did not agree with those who thought we'd go and roll these over and said as such in the pre-match thread, and wouldn't have made that many changes, but that side we had out was more than capable of winning today - to not have a single shot on target!!! It's absolutely shocking.

I think Puel was right to make the changes after the run of games we've had and it is true that so many changes can bring a disjointed performance which is what we got yesterday.

But you're right not a shot on target is shocking. There was no leadership both on and off the pitch. Gray at least tried to make a difference but got no support. He was wasted on the wings yesterday.

I'm more worried by Pules lack of ability to effect games as they progress and evolve when things are not going right. I'm also not a fan of Managers who don't show real passion on the sidelines like

O' Neill did. I do thing he's a great Coach especially in working with players. I'm just not sure he reads the game well enough to make the necessary changes when things are not going right.

But it is early days yet so we may see him improve with his English.

1 hour ago, woollett the bullet said:

Apart from the condition of the pitch did anyone else think it looked quite small ?

I know they pressed and closed down but at times there seemed to be too many players on it.

Not looking for excuses - just an observation

I thought it did look very narrow, noticeable how little space there was down the wings. That, combined with how hard and slow the pitch was from the amount of holes in it and the amount of sand on it (see the moment in the second half when Chillwell slides to clear for a corner, and loads of sand flies up into the air) meant our slow pass out from the back tactics were never going to work very well yesterday. Fleetwood clearly know how to play on a pitch like that, tried to get forward quickly, and made a lot of effort to force corners to make the most of Bolger as their main threat. Plus, they closed down quickly off the ball, and won quite a lot of possession from closing down our slow attempted passes from the back. We were too slow, and by the time we got into their half they would have everyone behind the ball. The only real inroads we made were when we were hitting long diagonal balls to Gray in the first half.

On a pitch like that, I think any advantage we have in terms of technical ability gets reduced - we would have been better off playing a 442 with someone up front alongside Slim so he wasn't so isolated. A midfield 2 of Iborra and N'Didi would have been more physically imposing, and we'd have won more headers in midfield (and there was quite a lot of midfield head tennis in that match). Could have been more direct at times, someone next to Slim looking to get onto flick ons would have stopped Fleetwood's defence from being able to push up too much, and might have opened up midfield a little too.

• Like 1

The FA cup holds no allure to anyone anymore. It is clear that the players don't hold it in high esteem, which must come from above.

There will be slight uplift at the KP because people are paying good money in January but expect a team not too dissimilar to yesterdays!

• Like 2