Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

New Series of Taskmaster?

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

Agree. Series 7 is still my superior series (especially as series 8 was such a disappointment in my eyes) but this has been the best one in a long time. No covid restrictions help compared to recent iterations, but some of the tasks have been brilliant and the general line-up have good chemistry together.

Have to say the early series really are a joy. The tasks just seem a lot more refreshing than later series, which is only natural I guess. The little extra elements (like Josh Widdicombe's counting task) are also fantastic.

21 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I think the individual tasks are great, but can be overkill if they do them every series so its a good idea they dialed back a bit. The John Kearns betrayal task this series was brilliant and you can see how it's affected all the teams tasks afterwards.

Agreed. Can have too much of a good thing. 

I love when there's the kind of reveals for disqualifications though. The tension they all must feel and they nailed it this series (again with John Kearns) when it came to the trolley-push task when there wasn't actually a disqualification lol

I guess a lot of the success is in the editing of the show. Like the grapes in the garage door, literally, and Dara is pretty much staring them in the face. 

I thought the hand picture task was very good, probably Munya's finest moment in the whole series too. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

This series was decent, yes. 

Judi Love wasn't on it, so it was only going to be better than the last series.

A good group on this season, worked well.

Up there with the best ones. The  Ed Gamble one was good, as we're those with Jessica Knappet and Mike Wozniack.

Not much will beat the Wozniack fart challenge though as a single moment lol

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Judi Love wasn't on it, so it was only going to be better than the last series.

A good group on this season, worked well.

Up there with the best ones. The  Ed Gamble one was good, as we're those with Jessica Knappet and Mike Wozniack.

Not much will beat the Wozniack fart challenge though as a single moment lol

Guz Khan was one of my favourite contestants.

I tend to root for the older contestants like Alan Davies and Lee Mack, often got second hand embarrassment from watching them particularly David Baddiel.

Edited by Tuna

9 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Agree. Series 7 is still my superior series (especially as series 8 was such a disappointment in my eyes) but this has been the best one in a long time. No covid restrictions help compared to recent iterations, but some of the tasks have been brilliant and the general line-up have good chemistry together.

Have to say the early series really are a joy. The tasks just seem a lot more refreshing than later series, which is only natural I guess. The little extra elements (like Josh Widdicombe's counting task) are also fantastic.

Not sure whether to post in this thread or Unpopular Opinions thread but....

I quite liked Season 8 and do not think it is half bad as anyone are making out.  

I view Taskmaster as an anthology with each season has its own dynamic and narrative thread.  I like how you get two ultra competitive participants in Ian and Lou who butted heads with each other and with others at times.   It is an interesting variant cause most of time the participants are mostly playing it nice on TV.    I also liked how you can see Ian in particular realising at times that he has gone too far and reeling it in.   Real human psychology there all on live TV.

Oh and how could you not like the season with adorable Paul Sinha in it?   The moment where everyone bandied together to help Paul out in the stage task due to his frozen shoulder were up there with greatest Taskmaster moments.  

Caveat I) I am deaf but I can imagine that Ian's screeching voice (if I imagine that right) can get annoying.  

Caveat II) I can get competitive and can be a sore loser so I think I am naturally little defensive of Ian and Lou lol

Caveat III) I was not planning on writing an essay to defend S8 but I think I have did a Finners and got all defensive just to offer an alternative viewpoint due to all hate S8 get!  

Edited by The Blur
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Really enjoyed this series and happy with the winner (I won't spoil it if people haven't watched yet).

Next series looks good, Frankie Boyle will be interesting as i think Taskmaster brings out your real self, and I don't mind Ivo Graham, can see him being the easily wound up one. Think Jenny Éclair will give Greg as good as she gets. As for the other two, I only know the guy from Ghosts and only seen Mae Martin on TV a few times.

7 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Really enjoyed this series and happy with the winner (I won't spoil it if people haven't watched yet).

Next series looks good, Frankie Boyle will be interesting as i think Taskmaster brings out your real self, and I don't mind Ivo Graham, can see him being the easily wound up one. Think Jenny Éclair will give Greg as good as she gets. As for the other two, I only know the guy from Ghosts and only seen Mae Martin on TV a few times.

Mae Martin is pretty blunt and dry. I think she was in a series with Charlotte Ritchie. They're quite similar but I think Mae is less dumb lol

Enjoyed this series. Found all the characters funny in their own way in the end, after not being sure at first. Even Sarah Millican who grown on me quite a lot. 

There was always a clear winner from the start. 

Not blown away by the new cast but taskmaster rarely does that. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Blur said:

Not sure whether to post in this thread or Unpopular Opinions thread but....

I quite liked Season 8 and do not think it is half bad as anyone are making out.  

I view Taskmaster as an anthology with each season has its own dynamic and narrative thread.  I like how you get two ultra competitive participants in Ian and Lou who butted heads with each other and with others at times.   It is an interesting variant cause most of time the participants are mostly playing it nice on TV.    I also liked how you can see Ian in particular realising at times that he has gone too far and reeling it in.   Real human psychology there all on live TV.

Oh and how could you not like the season with adorable Paul Sinha in it?   The moment where everyone bandied together to help Paul out in the stage task due to his frozen shoulder were up there with greatest Taskmaster moments.  

Caveat I) I am deaf but I can imagine that Ian's screeching voice (if I imagine that right) can get annoying.  

Caveat II) I can get competitive and can be a sore loser so I think I am naturally little defensive of Ian and Lou lol

Caveat III) I was not planning on writing an essay to defend S8 but I think I have did a Finners and got all defensive just to offer an alternative viewpoint due to all hate S8 get!  

Defend away! I've reached a time in my thought process with things like TV and comedy is that it's wholly subjective. I adore season seven, but I know some might not like Acaster, Gilbert etc, so they might hate it. I can't or won't rail against something and you wouldn't find me dying on the hill of S8. I didn't like it, but others do.

For me Sanders was/is not my cup of tea at all and didn't come across well with me, and as a result it really affected my enjoyment of the whole series. It was horribly unfortunate, especially in timing, but it was almost uncomfortable watching Paul struggle through some of the tasks as well as well.

Equally I know people like yourself will love it and have multiple reasons to, and that's the best bit. Every season is going to have a legion of fervent proponents and opposers. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

. I adore season seven, but I know some might not like Acaster, Gilbert etc, so they might hate it.

The way Rhod Gilbert had Davies on strings is one of the finer Taskmaster moments too. 

The constant pictures of him in prize tasks, the hiding in a cupboard all night to film him as 'creepy', then getting his mum in a bath as one of the things Davies wouldn't even expect in a thousand years lol

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Defend away! I've reached a time in my thought process with things like TV and comedy is that it's wholly subjective. I adore season seven, but I know some might not like Acaster, Gilbert etc, so they might hate it. I can't or won't rail against something and you wouldn't find me dying on the hill of S8. I didn't like it, but others do.

For me Sanders was/is not my cup of tea at all and didn't come across well with me, and as a result it really affected my enjoyment of the whole series. It was horribly unfortunate, especially in timing, but it was almost uncomfortable watching Paul struggle through some of the tasks as well as well.

Equally I know people like yourself will love it and have multiple reasons to, and that's the best bit. Every season is going to have a legion of fervent proponents and opposers. :) 

Absolutely!   My comment was not wholly aimed at you,  it was just the general timing where I finished S8 at same time of your comment and was pleasantly surprised at how I do not mind it when I was expecting not to.   I was interested to revisit this given the hate it got when it first aired.  I do agree re Paul but at time you have to admire how he just got on with it and the willingness to make fun of himself.  That uplifted the season for me a bit.  

Cannot agree more about Rhod, he got to be up there with one of greatest Taskmaster competitors.   Thought Kerry and particularly Phil were bit of a weak link and brought down S7 a notch or two for me.   

13 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Enjoyed this series. Found all the characters funny in their own way in the end, after not being sure at first. Even Sarah Millican who grown on me quite a lot. 

There was always a clear winner from the start. 

Not blown away by the new cast but taskmaster rarely does that. 

Yep was dreading Sarah Millican but she was great and now quite like her.

Ah man, I actually thought S7 was a let down all told? Acaster was great, Knappet and Gilbert were good too. I love Phil Wang's stand up but he just wasn't good on the show; people who actively try to be a bit shit at the tasks wear a bit thin I think (David Baddiel was like that n all). And Kerry Godliman was just too competitive to the point she was ****ing annoying and I really didn't want her to win it.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Ah man, I actually thought S7 was a let down all told? Acaster was great, Knappet and Gilbert were good too. I love Phil Wang's stand up but he just wasn't good on the show; people who actively try to be a bit shit at the tasks wear a bit thin I think (David Baddiel was like that n all). And Kerry Godliman was just too competitive to the point she was ****ing annoying and I really didn't want her to win it.

Baddiel is probably my least favourite contestant thus far. It can be fun when people get fed up with the tasks and/or try to half-arse them to get it over and done with but I thought he just came across like he genuinely didn't want to be there.

I think they broadly do a brilliant job of selecting contestants and assembling a good mix of personalities which can't be easy. I'd probably agree with the consensus that S8 was one of the weaker ones but still enjoyable, as they've all been. As someone who doesn't watch much TV or comedy there are regularly people in the lineups who I'm only vaguely or not at all familiar with, which I reckon might help me get more out of it than if I were to go into it with expectations or preconceptions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

BOSH! 

• Haha 2

On 01/12/2022 at 22:28, The Bear said:

Ivo Graham FFS. One of the unfunniest people I've ever seen. He always looks like they've dragged a student out on stage to do an open mic night. 

Also seen him live and he's really good. 

Edited by StanSP
  • Like 1