Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

England - Road to the World Cup - Russia 18

On 3/24/2018 at 20:36, STEVIE B said:

Even when/ if we get behind, the final ball ( from watching last night ) is often dreadful. We seem along way behind the ‘top’ nations. I like our possession part but we need so much more work on the upping the tempo and pace in the final third. The keep ball scenario works if our Jamie is playing, as it draws team out, I’m just not sure Southgate will start Vardy enough though 

We seen tonight that Vardy is capable of causing the better international teams problems. Such a shame that come the summer he won't even get a look in lol

Stones is an absolute liability and just goes to show that if you can't get in your clubs starting 11 then you shouldn't be anywhere near the international definite starting 11. On another day had a better finisher been playing for Italy we could've been 2-0 down because of him. 

6 hours ago, lee7 said:

We seen tonight that Vardy is capable of causing the better international teams problems. Such a shame that come the summer he won't even get a look in lol

Stones is an absolute liability and just goes to show that if you can't get in your clubs starting 11 then you shouldn't be anywhere near the international definite starting 11. On another day had a better finisher been playing for Italy we could've been 2-0 down because of him. 

Love Vardy and all he has achieved. Maybe it helps him that the ‘better’ teams play a high line and give him space behind to run into ( Italy pressed really high ). If England can move the ball quickly enough or win it back early our Jamie will always be a danger. I just can’t see Southgate playing both Kane and Vardy unfortunately. Stones improved as the game went on, but as you said we could’ve been 2 down by then. McGuire will surely start in th WC now. 

7 hours ago, lee7 said:

First and foremost a defender must be able to defend then anything else such as being a good passer of the ball is a bonus, this seems to of been overlooked in the case of Stones.

Realistically there are probably only a couple of places in the squad left up for grabs assuming it’s a 22 man squad.

1. Butland

2.Hart

3.Pickford

4. Maguire

5.Stones

7. Rose

8. Young

9. Walker 

10. Trippier

11. Dier

12.Wilshire

13. Ali

14. Henderson

15, Lingard

16. Lallana

17. Sterling

18. Oxlaide Chaimberlain

19. Kane

20. Vardy

21. Rashford

2 spots left.

Edited by Mark 'expert' Lawrenson

6 minutes ago, KFS said:

What's going on with Phil Jones? Can't he be number 6?

Striker I'm in agreement. It's going to be a wildcard in form veteran (Murray) or youngster coming through.

I always liked Gary Cahill but I assume his style of play is too old fashioned for the new England, but at least he could defend! 

4 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Realistically there are probably only a couple of places in the squad left up for grabs assuming it’s a 22 man squad.

1. Butland

2.Hart

3.Pickford

4. Maguire

5.Stones

7. Rose

8. Young

9. Walker 

10. Trippier

11. Dier

12.Wilshire

13. Ali

14. Henderson

15, Lingard

16. Lallana

17. Sterling

18. Oxlaide Chaimberlain

19. Kane

20. Vardy

21. Rashford

2 spots left.

Tarkowski is mightily impressive, deserves to go to Russia this summer.

As far as the last striker spot is concerned, it's going to be one out of Rooney, Murray, Wilson, Calvert-Lewin.

On current form, it's Murray.

Edited by MC Prussian

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

Tarkovski is mightily impressive, deserves to go to Russia this summer.

As far as the last striker spot is concerned, it's going to be one out of Rooney, Murray, Wilson, Calvert-Lewin.

On current form, it's Murray.

Out of them I’d say they’d go for Calvert-Lewin, as long as it’s not Welbeck! 

1 minute ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I always liked Gary Cahill but I assume his style of play is too old fashioned for the new England, but at least he could defend! 

Having a bit of a shocker for Chelsea this year, but could be an option. It's him, Jones or Smalling realistically.

Just looking at strikers, take your pick from one of these ??

Jermaine Defoe

Glenn Murray

Callum Wilson

Danny Ings

Daniel Sturridge

Danny Welbeck

Dominic Solanke

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Theo Walcott

Tammy Abraham

Andy Carroll

It'll be Welbeck, but I'd be looking at Walcott's end to the season personally.

3 minutes ago, KFS said:

Having a bit of a shocker for Chelsea this year, but could be an option. It's him, Jones or Smalling realistically.

Just looking at strikers, take your pick from one of these ??

Jermaine Defoe

Glenn Murray

Callum Wilson

Danny Ings

Daniel Sturridge

Danny Welbeck

Dominic Solanke

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Theo Walcott

Tammy Abraham

Andy Carroll

It'll be Welbeck, but I'd be looking at Walcott's end to the season personally.

I think it’ll be a youngster, they always take one for the “experience” they can gain, so that narrows it down to 3 from your list.

Oh and Michael Keane another CB option.

Edited by Mark 'expert' Lawrenson

At the minute I think the squad will be.

Pickford

Butland

Hart

Walker

Trippier

Rose

Young

Stones

Jones

Maguire

Tarkowski

Henderson

Dier

Wilshere (Still think he'll get the nod if he plays until the end of the season)

Oxlade - Chamberlain

Lallana

Lingard

Ali

Sterling

Vardy

Rashford

Kane

Welbeck

The only question is Young or Bertrand? Whether to take an extra centre back but I think he'll see Dier and now Walker has an option.

Edited by RowlattsFox
  • Like 1

Enjoyed the speed and the will to pass forward yesterday.

Got no idea who should be the GK, but as long as it's not Hart that's fine.

Walker has been a revelation in the back 3 so I hope that it's stones, Maguire and Walker and the WBs have complemented them well. We'll still let in goals but the games should be fun to watch.

up front Vardy, Sterling and Lingard had pace and skill but we all know that Vardy will not be starting any games. I think Rashford is a great player but he is lost in this England setup and has no idea of the role he's supposed to play. 

In midfield we need Lallana to find his form because we have no-one else with his eye for a pass and skill. wilshere shouldn't be going and Chamberlain isn't very good. I haven't liked Henderson at all until this week when I tought he had 2 good games covering the defence but more importantly playing good forward passes. I wouldn't be playing alli and dier is just too thick and error prone, plus he summs up Spurs bottle.

2 minutes ago, FIF said:

Enjoyed the speed and the will to pass forward yesterday.

Got no idea who should be the GK, but as long as it's not Hart that's fine.

Walker has been a revelation in the back 3 so I hope that it's stones, Maguire and Walker and the WBs have complemented them well. We'll still let in goals but the games should be fun to watch.

up front Vardy, Sterling and Lingard had pace and skill but we all know that Vardy will not be starting any games. I think Rashford is a great player but he is lost in this England setup and has no idea of the role he's supposed to play. 

In midfield we need Lallana to find his form because we have no-one else with his eye for a pass and skill. wilshere shouldn't be going and Chamberlain isn't very good. I haven't liked Henderson at all until this week when I tought he had 2 good games covering the defence but more importantly playing good forward passes. I wouldn't be playing alli and dier is just too thick and error prone, plus he summs up Spurs bottle.

Really? Again, I have no idea why Southgate can't be bothered to give this lad a call instead:

James-Ward-Prowse-603380.jpg

• Like 1

What I'd go with atm

1.Butland

2.Pickford

3.Pope

4.Walker

5.Trippier

6.Rose

7.Young

8.Stones

9.Maguire

10.Tarkowski

11.Cahill/Jones/Mawson/Lascelles - I'd swing towards an experienced option but if Mawson or Lascelles have good form from now till May then one of them should be in.

12.Dier

13.Henderson

14.Wilshere

15.Winks

16.Oxlade-Chamberlain

17.Ali

18.Sterling

19.Lingard

20.Kane

21.Vardy

22.Rashford

23.Whoever has a good end to the season

Majority of squad picks itself apart from maybe 3-4 spots. Southgate will probably choose Hart over Pope, Lallana over Winks and pick Danny Fvcking Welbeck.

I'd agree with the sentiment that there's a centre back and a striking spot there for someone to claim. Nick Pope really should be going ahead of Joe Hart but I think we'll start with Pickford come the tourney itself regardless.

It's a shame Danny Ings and Callum Wilson have been so unlucky with injuries really, either of those fit and firing could be a reasonable wild card as a fourth striker. Welbeck will get it for his versatility though.

I'd like Tarkowski to go over Keane or Smalling. There's a case for Phil Jones if he gets a good run with united between now and June.

7 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

At the minute I think the squad will be.

Pickford

Butland

Hart

Walker

Trippier

Rose

Young

Stones

Jones

Maguire

Tarkowski

Henderson

Dier

Wilshere (Still think he'll get the nod if he plays until the end of the season)

Oxlade - Chamberlain

Lallana

Lingard

Ali

Sterling

Vardy

Rashford

Kane

Welbeck

The only question is Young or Bertrand? Whether to take an extra centre back but I think he'll see Dier and now Walker has an option.

I don' think you are too far wrong with this to be honest. What I've always wondered Is, why is it considered essential to take 3 keepers? Have we or anyone else for that matter ever had to use the 3rd choice keeper in a max 7 game tournament. I'd take two and possibly pick a wildcard outfield player with the bonus spot.

3 hours ago, Erinjack said:

I don' think you are too far wrong with this to be honest. What I've always wondered Is, why is it considered essential to take 3 keepers? Have we or anyone else for that matter ever had to use the 3rd choice keeper in a max 7 game tournament. I'd take two and possibly pick a wildcard outfield player with the bonus spot.

Unfortunately it's mandatory to have 3 keepers in the squad.