Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bryn

Leicester 1-2 Chelsea (AET) Post-Match

Spare a thought for big Wes.  He's coming to the end of his career, he gave it all he got as he does most weeks.  He may not be the best centre back in the league but he gives it all he can and you can't ask for more than that.  His look at the end of the match told me that he thought that this was his last shot at silverware, and he's probably right.  For most of the players there's always next year, but I'm expecting Wes to be more of a part time player in the final season of his contract provided we invest in another defender in the summer.

We've lost to one of the best teams in the country and there's no disgrace in that.  Mistakes were made, and that's inevitable over the course of a season.  The chance for glory has gone this year but this doesn't mean we're in a bad place.  Some of us who have been supporting City for a long time are very happy that all we have to complain about is that we're not hammering top six PL teams and that some of our players aren't as good as we would like.  With poorer management and owners we could be where Coventry City are now.  I'm as disappointed as anyone that our Cup run is over but I'm really happy that we're progressing towards becoming a solid Premier League club and our squad quality now is something we wouldn't have dreamed of five years ago.

• Like 4

I’m surprised at how readily many seem to be going down the line of ‘we gave a full strength Chelsea side a game for 90 mins’.

I assume it’s easier to say that as it softens the blow of not making Wembley.

I say again...this was our best chance of getting to a final for years. Chelsea aren’t at their best and haven’t been all season.

To develop such few good goal chances, at home, in a quarter final in full of a packed crowd, was disappointing. The build up play was too ponderous and wasn’t helped by the crowd who seemed bored?

Big chance gone yesterday imo. Winning involves having a killer instinct. And we didn’t have it.

• Thanks 1

I thought we played really well Hazard  was well shackled Williem reasonably so

Chelsea are a very good side

I think Puel has a great platform to work with

Yes Kasper needs competition and should up his game

Morgan Simpson and unfortunately Chillwell not up to it and a minus Mahrez city is a worry

But well done Puel and the team

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Not sure what’s wrong tbh. Something is.

Despite a lot of huff and puff, we made very very few real goal scoring chances.

I look at our side and think it looks really good on paper. Then we go and keep giving the ball away for some reason. 

I’ll never get the decision to let both big lumps go out on loan and I still believe the problem lies primarily with the full backs. We get forward and then Simpson and Chilwell’s delivery is atrocious at this level. It’s such a shame we didn’t go in for Robertson before Liverpool did.

This.

Bad management it is.

We now play to negate our own strengths and to utilise our weakness.

Vardy again living off scraps, no intensity, and all creativity being put through Chilwell and Simpson who are not up to the task.

Chelsea did virtually nothing and we lost...again

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader

14 hours ago, Beliall said:

racist? are you having a ****ing laugh? you can **** off n all

No. I believe the correct response is to say that you actually kiss his mother with your mouth. On her vagina.

Then he says something like, “but she died from cancer of the aids.”

And then you say, “I know, don’t judge me for my sexual preferences, you bigot.”

If people insist on messing up simple, straightforward eFights then I’m going to have to report you all to the internet.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

This.

Bad management it is.

We now play to negate our own strengths and to utilise our weakness.

Vardy again living off scraps, no intensity, and all creativity being put through Chilwell and Simpson who are not up to the task.

Chelsea did virtually nothing and we lost...again

Or maybe you don’t appreciate we were playing the champions of England , a champions league team and for 90% of the game we made them look null and void , and you call that bad managament , lol 

Welcome to the Towers Hospital 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Blue Ed said:

I can believe people on here having a go at Puel. We were poor first half but after then we looked the only winners in the game. There are some areas he'll probably focus on in the Summer and I think full backs has to be a priority. I think this team looks solid to push on next year and I for one am liking the style of football we are playing 

This 

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

I’m surprised at how readily many seem to be going down the line of ‘we gave a full strength Chelsea side a game for 90 mins’.

I say again...this was our best chance of getting to a final for years. Chelsea aren’t at their best and haven’t been all season.

To develop such few good goal chances, at home, in a quarter final in full of a packed crowd, was disappointing. The build up play was too ponderous and wasn’t helped by the crowd who seemed bored?

Big chance gone yesterday imo. Winning involves having a killer instinct. And we didn’t have it.

I agree almost entirely with what you say. The disappointment of the defeat was made even worse by the draw (with respsect to Southampton). How many saves did their keeper have to make? Once agian in the first half we were too passive, we move the ball so slowly. Mahrez is being forced to pick up the ball inside his own half. We had two full backs whose end product was dire. Vardy was and has been almost completely isolated.

When Puel first came we played a more attacking blend of possession and counter attack and we got some good results, now we are simply not dynamic enough. The substitutions were all made too late in my opinion.

Puel's post match interview was frankly disappointing as well. How on earth was that the perfect game except for the reuslt? If that is his idea of perfect then we're in for some long dull afternoons next season.

Moving forward there is now a very good chance that 7th place would mean European football next season. I expect us to strive 100% to get there and anything less would mark a season where we have not made any real progress. In the longer term if Puel is to stay a major rebuild is needed, probably at least 6 new players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, reynard said:

I agree almost entirely with what you say. The disappointment of the defeat was made even worse by the draw (with respsect to Southampton). How many saves did their keeper have to make? Once agian in the first half we were too passive, we move the ball so slowly. Mahrez is being forced to pick up the ball inside his own half. We had two full backs whose end product was dire. Vardy was and has been almost completely isolated.

When Puel first came we played a more attacking blend of possession and counter attack and we got some good results, now we are simply not dynamic enough. The substitutions were all made too late in my opinion.

Puel's post match interview was frankly disappointing as well. How on earth was that the perfect game except for the reuslt? If that is his idea of perfect then we're in for some long dull afternoons next season.

Moving forward there is now a very good chance that 7th place would mean European football next season. I expect us to strive 100% to get there and anything less would mark a season where we have not made any real progress. In the longer term if Puel is to stay a major rebuild is needed, probably at least 6 new players.

Both keepers made 4 saves.

Just now, reynard said:

Not many really for the home side and two of those would have been immediately before the goal.

Chelsea play with a back 5 and midfield 3 in defence, what exactly do you want? Endless long shots? We had at least 3 clear chances to score that we didn't score from that I can recall off the top of my head.

Edited by Beechey

1 minute ago, Corky said:

Our final ball lets us down so much. So many times it was overhit, hit the first man or just drifted into the keeper. The difference was Iheanacho's wayward pass (after some great work in beating two players) to Mahrez which lost the momentum and 30 seconds later Willian played a perfect pass into the path of Morata. These moments are so crucial in tight games. 

Can't fault the effort or desire of the players but without the quality it only gets you so far. I've been disappointed more in the past after defeats because of a lack of urgency or intent but I didn't feel that yesterday. For next season we need a physical striker as we still look to cross high balls in, a new right back as Simpson has probably had his time and a new winger because Mahrez will go, Albrighton is limited and Gray doesn't cut it for me. Would be nice if Chilwell stopped trying to be clever near our box and play sensibly but he improved as the game went on.

Very frustrating game.

Spot on.

Whilst it's wrong to say Chelsea were there for the taking, we'll rarely have a better chance to beat them given the circumstances (they were off the back of a game at Barca 4 days earlier and there appears to be unrest in their camp). Overall, I felt we did okay but our lack of quality at full back killed us. In the second half Chelsea were basically allowing Simpson acres of space knowing he wouldn't do anything to hurt them. Chilwell, for all his energy, rarely produces anything productive in the final third.

All that said, once we equalised it felt like a winner would come. Chelsea visibly wilted and we pressed them high and got in some great positions around the box. Unfortunately, the fact our full backs can't cross or pass and Riyad was not quite on it meant we didn't create the number of good chances our build up threatened. Still feel Chelsea were fortunate to win, a draw would have been fairer, I think. 

I just don't understand people getting on Puel's back. We're much better than we were at the start of the season when, for example, Chelsea beat us much more comfortably at the KP. Personally, I would have started Shinji over Nacho, to tire their defence out before using Nacho as an impact sub, but after his cameo at The Hawthorn's it was understandable that Puel picked Nacho. I also don't think his subs were bad. Yes, he could have withdrawn Nacho sooner but what would that have done for his fragile confidence? I like Diabate but who would we have subbed to bring him on, given how well Albrighton was playing?

Anyway, we gave it a good go but just fell short. I'm gutted we've missed out on a chance of winning the Cup but it's simply not true to say that it was a great chance to win it. Realistically, for that to be possible you need fewer of the big clubs left in it at the later stages. Even if we'd beaten Chelsea yesterday we might have needed to beat 2 other big 6 clubs to win it (no guarantee that we'd have drawn Southampton).

Let's hope we can push on and get 7th and a Europa spot now. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Daggers said:

No. I believe the correct response is to say that you actually kiss his mother with your mouth. On her vagina.

Then he says something like, “but she died from cancer of the aids.”

And then you say, “I know, don’t judge me for my sexual preferences, you bigot.”

If people insist on messing up simple, straightforward eFights then I’m going to have to report you all to the internet.

Racist

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Whilst it's wrong to say Chelsea were there for the taking, we'll rarely have a better chance to beat them given the circumstances (they were off the back of a game at Barca 4 days earlier and there appears to be unrest in their camp). Overall, I felt we did okay but our lack of quality at full back killed us. In the second half Chelsea were basically allowing Simpson acres of space knowing he wouldn't do anything to hurt them. Chilwell, for all his energy, rarely produces anything productive in the final third.

All that said, once we equalised it felt like a winner would come. Chelsea visibly wilted and we pressed them high and got in some great positions around the box. Unfortunately, the fact our full backs can't cross or pass and Riyad was not quite on it meant we didn't create the number of good chances our build up threatened. Still feel Chelsea were fortunate to win, a draw would have been fairer, I think. 

I just don't understand people getting on Puel's back. We're much better than we were at the start of the season when, for example, Chelsea beat us much more comfortably at the KP. Personally, I would have started Shinji over Nacho, to tire their defence out before using Nacho as an impact sub, but after his cameo at The Hawthorn's it was understandable that Puel picked Nacho. I also don't think his subs were bad. Yes, he could have withdrawn Nacho sooner but what would that have done for his fragile confidence? I like Diabate but who would we have subbed to bring him on, given how well Albrighton was playing?

Anyway, we gave it a good go but just fell short. I'm gutted we've missed out on a chance of winning the Cup but it's simply not true to say that it was a great chance to win it. Realistically, for that to be possible you need fewer of the big clubs left in it at the later stages. Even if we'd beaten Chelsea yesterday we might have needed to beat 2 other big 6 clubs to win it (no guarantee that we'd have drawn Southampton).

I don’t think it is understandable that Nacho was picked over Shinji. To me, it defied understanding. We fielded a weakened team in order to reward one player for a good cameo against the worst team in the league last week? Nacho’s “fragile confidence” isn’t really a reason to sacrifice a chance of winning the FA Cup.

Chelsea were (relatively speaking) there for the taking. They were tired, and they were flat after their CL exit in the week. We could not have asked for a better time to play them. It really was ready made for the old Okasaki and Vardy double-menace. We let them off the hook by playing an untried and untested front two.

Since the start of the 16/17 season we have made so many attempts to replace Okasaki: First with Musa, then with Slimani, and now with Nacho. It never works, and so to try the repeatedly failed front two in the biggest game of the season is not understandable at all. It's a total fvck up!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Col city fan said:

That the Gap,the finances,the Squad ,the quality difference,between 7th and top 4 are.

Breaking down a top 4 Side,when they themselves are Up against it,is the ability to Keep and

Hide the Ball.Lesser mistakes,and Play tight,when hard come hard.

Like If or Not,even when going through a poor Run,Chelsea have better Players than ourselves,

on Ball strengthening and Skill.   Money does that!!

Edited by fuchsntf

8 hours ago, Kp1984 said:

I realy do get why most of you are getting on Casper’s back. If he pulls of a top save you cheer his name then a clanger later he needs to go wow. We played well one mistake let us down In the end and it was still a good Chelsea side out there. We ain’t no top 4 side people think we are it’s mad 

Agreed for me his the best Ghost in the League 

2 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Agree with most of this.

The timing of this fixture, home advantage to Leicester ,the events on the field in Barcelona mid week  and indeed the supposed issues at Chelsea all were meant to be n the favour of the home team.

Let’s  be under no illusion this was a massive opportunity for Leicester to at least get to a semi final and that opportunity has been missed.

Once this game went into extra time then those extra 90 minutes played in midweek should really have been the telling point and yet it wasn’t. Alonso clearly was tiring his socks were below the shin pads his energy levels enabled RM to come more into the game but elsewhere it wasn’t so obvious and it should have been.

Once Chelsea scored their second all the tricks came into play they in effect ran down the clock and for all the huffing and puffing the game had gone.A phrase that pundits now love to use is game management and that’s what we witnessed. 

Yes we are all disappointed but im sure all the players are hurting just as much....Morgan,Kasper, Simpson,Vardy, Albrighton ,Mahrez etc gave their all.  Ok they are all paid thousands  every week but  they may never get another chance to reach a Wembley final...Maybe we should not have become so cautious when we got back to 1-1 but hindsights a wonderful thing