Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

11 hours ago, Bunyip said:

Ah, those same players you are denigrating that won us the league. Shame on you. we are never going to be a Man city or a top-six side passing or no passing. He with no clout in the footballing world will never be able to attract top players to play the way he envisages. He is a no mark in terms of agents who want to promote their players to join us.  the sooner he is gone the better,

we are as a club bigger and better than the likes of him.

You crazy, Bunyip

Btw, the one player Puel has brought in has never looked anything other than a fantastic find.  We got him on the cheap, he's young, and it seems definitely a choice of the manager's.

I still enjoy watching us play.  Have enjoyed progression in style even with its hiccoughs and fits and starts.   Thats what happens when you try to change.

I did not enjoy us trying to repeat the ways of the title winning season in the face of it obviously being an out-dated mode for us.  That was boring and depressing. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Irrelevant - you might not like it, but swift incisive football is not their forte, is it?

The irony of someone on here (unless you're a very big talent in your chosen field, and even if you are, it's still twattish) accusing someone who has managed a club to the CL semis, as a no-mark.

So us winning the league is now irrelevant? And since when have we played " swift incisive football " under Puel?  I must have missed it among all that dreadful side to side back to back boring nonsense 

41 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

You crazy, Bunyip

Btw, the one player Puel has brought in has never looked anything other than a fantastic find.  We got him on the cheap, he's young, and it seems definitely a choice of the manager's.

I still enjoy watching us play.  Have enjoyed progression in style even with its hiccoughs and fits and starts.   Thats what happens when you try to change.

I did not enjoy us trying to repeat the ways of the title winning season in the face of it obviously being an out-dated mode for us.  That was boring and depressing. 

Yes, I am a bit. Good points I'll take them on board.

• Like 1

On 03/04/2018 at 20:15, Abrasive fox said:

Also told the club in the summer that he'd leave if they signed another centre half after Maguire and he wasn't still first choice.

Why the hell did anyone care if he left? He’s hardly world class 

1 hour ago, Bunyip said:

So us winning the league is now irrelevant?

To the point you were trying to make, yes. They did a fabulous job back then (with a lot of shielding by Kante), it should not make them immune to valid criticism now.

The point about 'swift, incisive football' is that is is made less possible with those two taking an age to get the ball under control. Please don't do what so many do, which is selectively (and without context of the original overall statement) cherry pick what is said and ignore the basic point, it gets very tiresome to try and discuss with.

Edited by HighPeakFox
typing too fast

19 hours ago, Bunyip said:

Ah, those same players you are denigrating that won us the league. Shame on you. we are never going to be a Man city or a top-six side passing or no passing. He with no clout in the footballing world will never be able to attract top players to play the way he envisages. He is a no mark in terms of agents who want to promote their players to join us.  the sooner he is gone the better,

we are as a club bigger and better than the likes of him.

Players are only good in systems that suit them. Simpson and Morgan were excellent in a fast counter attacking side that funnelled the opposition down the wings. In a possession side, much less so (although I suspect Simpson could change). And a possession side we could be, with owners who are willing to let us change, a manager who can play in that style and players suited to it: it's only the last we don't currently have, or can't use anyway. And a side happy with possession is probably the best tactic for us now, in a league where the bottom half are trying to play fast counter attacking football, which we could never cope with even in 15/16, and where the top half are successfully beating fast counter attacking teams.

Edited by Foxxed

4 hours ago, lgfualol said:

Shortlisted for MOTM 

A draw against Bournemouth at home, a win against the worst side in the league and a terrible performance at Brighton are hardly what i would consider manager of the month form but then you can only beat what's in front of you and it shows how bad the rest have been I guess!

Still think some people are judging him too soon. If we're crap after he's actually brought his own signings in then yeah, by all means pick at him.

We lost the best player in our title winning side the summer after it happened. I'm amazed people overlook they say "why can't we play like the title winning side". Losing him, in a nutshell was a big part of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Still think some people are judging him too soon. If we're crap after he's actually brought his own signings in then yeah, by all means pick at him.

We lost the best player in our title winning side the summer after it happened. I'm amazed people overlook they say "why can't we play like the title winning side". Losing him, in a nutshell was a big part of it.

Adding to this, I highly doubt people will give Puel the grace of finding a Mahrez replacement or allowing a player the time to develop into the Mahrez replacement.

Itll just be used as another stick to beat him with, totally not of his choice.

Think some people expected the title win to prompt our overnight transformation into some juggernaut mega-club with unrivalled pulling power. Not how it works I'm afraid. Puel - i.e. successive top half finishes and the occasional cup run - is about our level.

It's not out of the question that we'll progress further and be able to have a serious crack at breaking the top six, but it takes time, long-term planning and luck. The news about the training ground and stadium expansion speaks to the fact that we're trying to move onwards and upwards, but to do so with the backs-to-the-wall directness of the title win is not realistically possible or sustainable for so many reasons.

• Like 2

Will judge him fully at the end of the season.

This is the most-important part of it, and if he delivers consistency and the 7th place prize, then he deserves to be part of the longer-term plans.

2 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Will judge him fully at the end of the season.

This is the most-important part of it, and if he delivers consistency and the 7th place prize, then he deserves to be part of the longer-term plans.

So what if we're only 8th at the end of the season? Should he get the boot?

27 minutes ago, ZeGuy said:

So what if we're only 8th at the end of the season? Should he get the boot?

Depends on the performances in general then.

Could play excellently in a game or more, but yet could still fail to get the 3 points etc.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

He's done a good job since he came in and it seems clear to me that he's trying to implement a new style and that doesn't happen overnight.

Ridiculous to suggest the guy should be gone at this point, we're in a good position in the league (which we weren't when he arrived) and there's a gradual evolution to our play.

As others have said the real test will come in the summer when we lose Mahrez and maybe Maguire. Seems like a very safe pair of hands to me and someone who can build something. Yes he's boring as shit but who cares? Shakespeare being a lovely bloke didn't make him a better manager did it?

I get that fans want to see ambition from the club but you have to put our current position into context- right now we're in the top 8 which is relatively rare territory across LCFC's history. Plus the club are investing in a new training ground and the board are looking at expanding the stadium - that shows ambition. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 2

Dunno why Pep is messing about with the tippy-tappy pissy-passy football. Waste of fuching time. Just hoof the potatoe up to the South American Vardy and hope your lucky streak is season long. 

Possession, passing, composure - who wants em?  

:ph34r:

There’s a big difference between being comfortable in possession and being a possession oriented side. In the past we have lacked the former and shunned the latter in favour of fast attacking football. Unfortunately that title winning style morphed into a caricature of itself, as just lumping it over the top.

I’m still hoping that we can get a good balance between being comfortable on the ball and playing fast attacking football, but recent signs have not been good.

• Like 1