Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

I said it ages ago and got shouted down on here, looks like momentum is gathering  about my thoughts.

This bloke is consistently making errors with his selections and can’t get it right.

Yesterday he plays Diabate instead of the more experienced Okazaki or Kelechi. 

Okay, so apart from the cup game, when have you seen Diabate make an impact. He doesn’t, he hasn’t and he won’t for a while.

Maybe he is giving him game time as he sees him as one for the future, but when you need to get to a European place, why experiment when you have better options. 

We we were lucky v Brighton, apart from the result that was another miserable game. 

He he needs to go in the summer before we die of boredom 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Correct, at times, when needed.

As opposed to ALL the time.

It's not ALL the time, it's just that the poor performances fit the narrative about his style of play. I've seen some very good games since he arrived but we'll probably give the credit to someone else as appears to be the odd way on this forum.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Rafa? Likely to be available in the summer given Ashley not wanting to invest into the club and wanting to sell up, lots of uncertainty from Rafas end I would expect. 

Would be nice but I don't see it happening. I think Ashely will sell end of the season and Newcastle could be on to a winner. Big manager with huge potential of a football club, fans love him.

Seriously don't think Dyche will leave anyway especially if they get European football. I just cant be arsed with Puel never wanted him in the first place.. then after 4-5 games I thought I'd got it all wrong and Southampton players were just not as good as ours... however, the last 2 months performances, especially at home have been woeful.

• Like 1

The “Southampton syndrome” is rearing it’s head. Every game seems like the same performance over and over. 

The thing I’m not sure of is if it’s Puel or the players. After every game he says we need to play it faster but we never do! So is it that the players don’t understand / aren’t good enough or is it a communication issue?

Losses happen in football but it’s the way you play that matters. At times we did crank up the pressure but in general our style is to keep the ball without doing anything with it!

Performances in our remaining home games are crucial. I hope he tells the team to go for it and not be so conservative on the ball. 

11 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Puel doesn’t want us in Europe to protect his own job. Everytime the chance arises to get a spot he purposely avoids getting  there.

I don't see that being the case, surely he needs to get us into Europe to show the owners he is the man for the long term?

20 minutes ago, Shefffox2 said:

Wagner has to be. The Man, done fanatic for 2 seasons with very limited resources. Surely see use as move up,and a good communicator,. As soon as Huddersfield season is decided,move fast and get it done.

Those very limited resources include transfer fees as high as £10 million for players. They remind me of our first season in the PL if I’m honest. 

2 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

I said it ages ago and got shouted down on here, looks like momentum is gathering  about my thoughts.

This bloke is consistently making errors with his selections and can’t get it right.

Yesterday he plays Diabate instead of the more experienced Okazaki or Kelechi. 

Okay, so apart from the cup game, when have you seen Diabate make an impact. He doesn’t, he hasn’t and he won’t for a while.

Maybe he is giving him game time as he sees him as one for the future, but when you need to get to a European place, why experiment when you have better options. 

We we were lucky v Brighton, apart from the result that was another miserable game. 

He he needs to go in the summer before we die of boredom 

I always worry about a manager that starts a player based off a 20 minute cameo from the previous match. There is so much more to it than that.

Diabate played well against Brighton as it it was quite an open game and we needed some energy. Likewise Iheanacho against West Brom, who had given up. It doesn’t make either of them good starting options in that position.

The style of play is the opposite of what made Leicester different and made us great. Unless we get players that play to Puels way we will play shit and get lucky with a odd  win and draws. I was against him to be manager, I wanted Dyche but after the Southampton game I thought I got it wrong bit after that our team play is crap with players can't play that type of football. We were known as a threat when we were counter attacking. . but now we offer notching. 

Maybe Puel's type of football would have suited Continental teams but we play football different here, maybe Puel is a great coach then a good manager, that's maybe why the he has not gone to the top teams in Europe. I hate to seem him sacked but I'm clueless, the players seem Clueless and so does the Puel seem Clueless. We played better football under Appleton even though it was only 2 games

30 minutes ago, KJT said:

The style of play is the opposite of what made Leicester different and made us great. Unless we get players that play to Puels way we will play shit and get lucky with a odd  win and draws. I was against him to be manager, I wanted Dyche but after the Southampton game I thought I got it wrong bit after that our team play is crap with players can't play that type of football. We were known as a threat when we were counter attacking. . but now we offer notching. 

Maybe Puel's type of football would have suited Continental teams but we play football different here, maybe Puel is a great coach then a good manager, that's maybe why the he has not gone to the top teams in Europe. I hate to seem him sacked but I'm clueless, the players seem Clueless and so does the Puel seem Clueless. We played better football under Appleton even though it was only 2 games

What has happened in the past when teams sit back against us because all we are good at is counter attacking? Got Ranieri and Shakespeare sacked. A new approach is needed.

• Like 2

There is nothing inherently wrong with using possession football, but we seem to be setting up in the same way and consistently making the same mistakes week after week. We keep having Mahrez cut infield, and expect Simpson to provide all the width down the right flank - obviously, this doesn't work very well. Yet when you see Man City lining up against packed defences, they will often keep a winger (often Sane) very wide to stretch the opposition defence. We saw Gray doing this from the right flank against Everton at home, but we seem to have given up on this. Our width comes from very deep, and by the time the fullbacks have advanced, there is 2 or 3 defenders in front of them, which results in us shuffling it to the other side of the pitch to be met with the same situation. We definitely seem to be less fluid in the setup of our attack than at the opening stages of Puel's reign.

We keep starting games at home with a low tempo, then conceding a goal and having to struggle to break down a packed defence. If we start at a high tempo, with a high press off the ball (so when we win it back it's in the opposition half, instead of on the edge of our own box), we can take the lead. Then, there is less of  a problem with slow possession football, as it eats up the clock, wears out the opposition, and if they decide to chuck more players forward to get back into the game you can still pick them off on the counter attack.

The Puel situation is a weird one. We are sat 8th and 6 points behind 7th with games against "beatable" teams coming up. If someone told me when he was appointed that this is where we would be now, I would've bit their hand off. However, the reason we are not sitting 7th at present is because of a number of lacklustre home performances. To be honest, even the games we have won recently you could associate with how bad the opposition were which allowed us to get the win over the finish line (Brighton stands out as an obvious example). Fans criticism of Puel, though in parts I do not agree with it all, is understandable. 

The issue here is, it seems the owners want to see the side develop into a dominant passing side. The off field investment (training ground/stadium) clearly shows their intention to build the club into one of the dominant forces in English football. To do this, they're not wrong in wanting the side to evolve on the playing side also. 

Puel's style suits this. However, his biggest issue is that the vast majority of the squad are not suited to that style of play. Morgan, Simpson, Okazaki, Albrighton etc. Struggle with it. If you take yesterday's game. The vast majority of it was us passing side ways and too slow. If you're going to pass a team of the park, you need quick passing to create pace with the odd bit of "genius" to carve out an opportunity. We simply cannot do that with sustained possession. 

He has signed one player to add to the squad during his tenure. A question has to be asked whether you can truly judge him with only one addition to a squad who, in the main do not suit his style.  In the same manner you could also question why better passers, who were in form were dropped for no apparent reason (Drag for example). 

The question the club has to ask is: a) is Claude Puel the next manager for the next 3-3 1/2 years and when he leaves, will we be better for it; and b) if not, who else out there can we genuinely attract who will evolve the side as the owners want. The latter is harder of the two to answer. 

Man City (albeit with a lot more money) went through a similar process not that long ago. They managed to attract Mancini as well as a different calibre of player to allow them to make the jump from mid table to one of the elite clubs. I don't know if you can sell "Leicester" in the same way as the city of Manchester to  elite players. 

It maybe a slow a process under Puel but I think he is smart enough to make us progress. For that reason, if we can't attract anything better, we should persevere and allow him to make the squad his in the summer. However, if the club, with the investment plans and money can attract a bigger name, they should do it but seriously invest into the philosophy which ever way we choose to go. Success, even in football requires some sort of consistency. 

• Like 3

Yesterday seemed to make up a lot of people's minds on him. I thought he had to go after Bournemouth, our style at home is dreadful. 

However, I've changed my mind- we're getting results away, which is tough in this league. I don't think we need to do anything drastic at home- be a bit more aggressive and get on the front foot. He deserves the chance to figure that out I think.

I personally believe he should be given time.

His brand of football requires players capable of carrying it out and at the minute, only a few can do that.

Whilst the likes of Morgan and Simpson have been incredible servants and will go down in history for what they have achieved, they simply do not fit what we’re trying to do. Give Puel a full pre season to coach and a summer transfer window to being in who he wants and I do believe we will see a successful team.

We can’t continue with a managerial merry go round and expect success. Stick with him and trust the process.

2 hours ago, Shefffox2 said:

Wagner has to be. The Man, done fanatic for 2 seasons with very limited resources. Surely see use as move up,and a good communicator,. As soon as Huddersfield season is decided,move fast and get it done.

Yes let's solve the problem of boring football by getting a manager whose team has managed 26 goals in 33 premier games 

12 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Talking Balls and Bentleys Roof are also pissed off with Puel..

As someone else said I think momentum is now building.

The fanbase was split with Pearson despite everything he did for the club and success built through his tenure, I think Puel has divided the fanbase even more so.

Not that it counts for (Or proves) anything, i'm merely making the comment but someone made the point after the game yesterday, he's been here nearly 6 months, no-one chants his name, there's no song, no-one's really bothered about him. We're usually chanting something regards a manager.

I think it's fair to say a majority of fans havn't 'took' to him.

Edited by Matt

6 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Talking Balls and Bentleys Roof are also pissed off with Puel..

that's because they refuse to accept the bulk of the team, which hasn't changed much, are to blame, they all got fat pay rises which coincided with them losing all the attributes that got them those same contracts, when 3 successive managers have had mostly the same problems with mostly the same 11 its not the manager.

Also some people just won't accept any change from that style even though it had stopped working

Just now, Jimmy said:

that's because they refuse to accept the bulk of the team, which hasn't changed much, are to blame, they all got fat pay rises which coincided with them losing all the attributes that got them those same contracts, when 3 successive managers have had mostly the same problems with mostly the same 11 its not the manager.

Also some people just won't accept any change from that style even though it had stopped working

The buck stops with the manager always has done, the players we have are good enough to be challenging for 7th spot imo.

I saw this post from Brown Nose, worthwhile sharing.

https://talkingballs.uk/index.php?threads/puel-out.39334/page-9

If the quality of the football is not what we should judge the manager on, it should be his results.

I would strongly argue that Puel and Shakespeare have had sufficient 'tools' at their disposal to finish 7th this season. We have a large squad with proven quality and depth. We pay the 7th highest wages, etc, etc.

Shakespeare had 21 league games, and averaged 1.38 points per game. Over an entire season, this would have given us 52 points. Quite rightly, this was not deemed to be good enough.

Puel has had 23 league games, and has averaged 1.48 points per game. Over a season, this would give us 56 points. However, this includes a very strong start. His last 15 games have returned 17 points (1.13 per game).

Puel averaged 1.21 points per game last season at Southampton (they got 46 points).

Over the last four seasons, the average points required for 7th place is 62 (1.63 per game). Given their comments and actions, I think it's fair to say that this sort of return is the owners minimum expectation.

In pure points terms, he's got to get a minimum of 10 points from the last 6 games to have any argument that he merits a chance to start next season in charge. To deliver the 1.63 over 29 games, he needs to pick up 13 points out of 18.

My guess is that Puel will finish the season with stats no better than Shakespeare had. If so, I cannot see any chance that he'll survive.

• Like 1

It’s a real tough one with Puel even Pep wouldn’t be able to do a lot with this bunch of players currently.

We have a couple of quality players mixed with a lot of bang average footballers who are now 2 years older since the miraculous title win.

The reason we surrendered possession so much and hit teams on the counter was more the fact we were never any good at possession football to begin with.

They are now being asked to develop and play passing football which is highlighting major weaknesses in players like Morgan Albrighton to name a few.

Puel needs time, we can’t change how we play overnight.

A clear out of older/deadwood or players who are just are not cut out for this style of football need to be shown the door as we will never evolve.

Otherwise we will be the new West Brom in 2 years time with older players that are no longer good enough.

Change is needed and sentiment put to one side, for new younger,hungrier players to change the way we play.

We need to accept this may take 1 - 3 transfer windows for this to happen.

All the right signs are happening off the field with the training complex and stadium expansion, it’s just going to take time, as the playing side of the football club messed up too many transfer windows to expand on the field.

In time it will get better.

30 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

what people are also missing is the owners brought Puel in to evolve the side, they aren't going to sack him without him having a summer to actually do that, the departures this summer will be as key as the arrivals, normally I would be in favour of keeping them as squad players but I think they need to leave in order for fans to accept them not being in the side and the style changing

Minus any major drops or something similar, can see him being here for a while. Developing youth teams and the training ground remodelling are both things Puel will be well in given his experience in training ground builds before (in france). He'll take some time to fully evolve the team and the owners will give him time i think/hope