Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Wrong.

We were 14th.

We were 18th when Shakespeare got sacked.

Appleton took over for the Swansea game, won, it lifted us to 14th.

Puel won his first game which took us 11th.

It took Puel 7 weeks to get us 8th and we’ve pretty much stayed there.

So the situation when Puel came in wasn’t as bad as people make out. 

I agree it was concerning and only going one way under Shakespeare and something had to give but it was simply a tough start.

The fact our rise to 8th was so quick and the fact we’ve somehow stayed there almost unchallenged (likewise Burnley staying 7th, unchallenged despite not winning for nearly 2 months) just highlights what a bang average league/season it’s been.

Sorry, I stand corrected. When Puel was offered the post were 14th. Much closer to Europe. There is no way at that time he was tasked with getting us Europe, whether that changed further down the line or not.

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

If (as it seems) his intention is to convert us into a purely possession based side, I have to question whether the whole project is worthwhile. The quality of players required to pull this off is way out of our price range.

Whilst a worthy objective is for our players to be more comfortable on the ball than they have been in the past, speedy attack should always be a strong component in our arsenal to give us the edge over the rest of the dross outside the top six. Without that we are just Bournemouth wannabes (no disrespect to Bournemouth).

Have you watched bournemouth playing ?  They are a decent watch - Infact most PL clubs seem to be able to keep possession in a more forward moving fashion than we do. We seem to so it in our own half and just past the half way line. Other clubs work it forwards so they have good possession in the final third. Their lack of genuine quality up top and out wide is generally the reason they can’t force enough clear openings. 

Tbh, I was sometimes embarrassed by our lack of quality on the ball last season - other clubs must have been perplexed as to how the hell we managed to be champions when we couldn’t string four passes together under any kind of press. 

13 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Have you watched bournemouth playing ?  They are a decent watch - Infact most PL clubs seem to be able to keep possession in a more forward moving fashion than we do. We seem to so it in our own half and just past the half way line. Other clubs work it forwards so they have good possession in the final third. Their lack of genuine quality up top and out wide is generally the reason they can’t force enough clear openings. 

Tbh, I was sometimes embarrassed by our lack of quality on the ball last season - other clubs must have been perplexed as to how the hell we managed to be champions when we couldn’t string four passes together under any kind of press. 

Right.

We are ponderous 

It's extremely unfortunate that Amartey went down just as he was coming back into the side. Puel wants to be playing him, and he can't. It's also incredibly unfortunate that our midfield is now depleted. These are things he cannot control. What doesn't make an awful lot of sense is Morgan being back in. I think we looked our best with Drago.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

It's extremely unfortunate that Amartey went down just as he was coming back into the side. Puel wants to be playing him, and he can't. It's also incredibly unfortunate that our midfield is now depleted. These are things he cannot control. What doesn't make an awful lot of sense is Morgan being back in. I think we looked our best with Drago.

Amartey was dropped for quite some time when he WAS fit I believe? Like Drag, he came into the side, played ok and then Puel dropped him and Simmo came back in I believe? Amartey then featured once again and got injured. I think Puel is far from sure about Amartey at RB, long term.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fox1norfolk said:

I would imagine when Mr Puel was offered the post the instruction from the owners was at the minimum achieve the Europa competition after having the taste of Champions.

Around 6 weeks ago I would have thought that might be achievable, however, from the last few performances  its pretty obvious 'there's trouble at mill' and the key objective is not possible.

That's the perfect post to show how deluded some here are.

1 minute ago, ZeGuy said:

That's the perfect post to show how deluded some here are.

Has anyone called you deluded for standing up for Puel? You don't have to be so defensive.

32 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Amartey was dropped for quite some time when he WAS fit I believe? Like Drag, he came into the side, played ok and then Puel dropped him and Simmo came back in I believe? Amartey then featured once again and got injured. I think Puel is far from sure about Amartey at RB, long term.

You're correct about him being dropped, but his injury was after he was being featured over Simmo once more. I think Puel realized that Amartey was the long term answer at RB.

37 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Wasn't Simpson injured and Amartey stepped in and played well and when Simpson came back he was dropped for the game but in that same game Amartey got injured?  Something like that i think?? 

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Wasn't Simpson injured and Amartey stepped in and played well and when Simpson came back he was dropped for the game but in that same game Amartey got injured?  Something like that i think?? 

Correct.

• Thanks 1

On 08/04/2018 at 22:17, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Bullshit.

If the manager can’t get a team consisting of Silva, Mahrez, Diabate, Gray and Vardy to get more than one shot on target then the tactics are wrong.

Its his remit to make this work with what he’s got.

If he can’t get his tactics right or motivate the players he should go; as that’s what he is employed to do.

Your correct, I should have added that some of his starting line ups have been strange, and could have been more emphasis on attacking especially with the list of players you mentioned. We should be more attacking especially at home.

I think his hands are tied a little till the summer and once a few players have came in and added to the style of football he is trying to play, it will be hit and miss for now.

I feel given time the football will improve.

wether he gets that time remains to be seen, as reading the posts on here Puel really is dividing opinion.

But we’re both entitled our opinions on how things need to change for the better.

Which way it will go in the summer  weather that be players or the manager remains to be seen, but we all want what’s best for Leicester to progress on the field.

41 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I say again. I don’t think Puel sees Amartey as his attacking wing-back. Do you? A player with a bit of guile and a cultured right boot (or left)

Perhaps not, but I would think that he’s at least planning on keeping him around. Maybe “long-term”

is a stretch, but he’s far more adept than Simmo up the pitch.

5 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Whenever I have seen Bournemouth play I have been impressed with what they have managed to achieve and I’m certainly not disparaging them. Like you I’ve found the “lump it over the top” style that we had morphed in to uncomfortable to watch.

My point is that if we want to threaten to consistently achieve anything above 8th we’d need more than a purely possession oriented style, and speed of attack can give us the edge, as it has in the past.

Perhaps I’m being unrealistic to even aspire to that In today’s money driven league.

5 hours ago, Webbo said:

Has anyone called you deluded for standing up for Puel? You don't have to be so defensive.

You have to be massively deluded to think that a manager was appointed for a minimum of Europa league whilst the team was flirting with the relegation zoneand made Bournemouth look like Barcelona. The levels here are off the charts.

Edited by ZeGuy

1 minute ago, ZeGuy said:

You have to be massively deluded to think that a manager was appointed for a minimum of Europa league whilst the team was flirting with the relegation zoneand made Bournemouth look like Barcelona. The levels here are off the charts.

Some people might think its deluded to think Puels doing a good job. It's debatable either way, taking one side doesn't make you cleverer than the other.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Some people might think its deluded to think Puels doing a good job. It's debatable either way, taking one side doesn't make you cleverer than the other.

Debating about Puel doing a good job or not is perfectly reasonable, thinking that he was appointed to get us at least in the Europa League in his first season is not. 

7 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

Amartey is a complete bomb scare that after 2yrs has never had a run in the team,  has zero technical ability and who 100000% isn’t an attacking right back.

My biggest problem is that we don't appear to have a plan in place. I realize that Puel joined us partway through the year and is working with an existing team. That said, he really hasn't  shaken things up too much & the fact that Morgan is his go to guy really bothers me. 

3 minutes ago, Albert said:

Amartey is a complete bomb scare that after 2yrs has never had a run in the team,  has zero technical ability and who 100000% isn’t an attacking right back.

We've been through this before. Amartey is a very capable player who looked good at the RB slot until a hamstring injury sidelined him. Remember that he was playing out of position & still looked good.

2 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

We've been through this before. Amartey is a very capable player who looked good at the RB slot until a hamstring injury sidelined him. Remember that he was playing out of position & still looked good.

“A very capable player”?!?!?! He’s not had a run in the side since he’s signed and looks a complete panic attack anytime the ball comes near him. If you honestly think he’s got the ability to be a regular in the side you’re deluded. Bring on as a sub for 10mins to give us legs yes, starting 11 no chance