Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

A couple of things come to mind

according to well informed reports, the owners and Rudkin were impressed at interview by his suggestions of how to get more from the current squad. Initially, that change worked but clearly it no longer is. Perhaps our tactical changes took time for opposition to be ready but after a few weeks they made proper prep and now we see no plan B in response. 

Ranieri found a way of playing with those at his disposal - clearly worked for one season and on occasions it could again - strange that Puel never reverts to this style as a surprise to the opposition. 

puel’s clear pursuit of the change in playing style is not something borne out of short termism. It doesn’t look like a man who is worried about what happens this season. I would say that he has been told to get it right for next season with a planned summer window . If some players are unhappy then perhaps they need to face up of feck off. 

Howver, the owners are not shy to make a decision if they think the goalposts have moved and as i said yesterday, availability of certain managers willing to come here would probably lead to his early demise. 

On 4/7/2018 at 17:45, ttfn said:

Puel is trying to revolutionise the football side of the club. 

The club, and by extension us as fans, need to back him or sack him.

At the moment we’re in this extremely frustrating halfway house whereby he has a squad of players wholly unsuited to the style of play he wants to implement.

It shouldn’t be overlooked how difficult it is to come into a new club and change the style of play. I’m sure everybody remembers our problems under Sousa as we tried to evolve away from the “up and at em” style of Pearson’s first spell which resulted in the sack after some humiliating defeats. The same thing happened to Frank de Boer at Crystal Palace. It took Guardiola (widely acknowledged as the greatest manager of his generation) a year  to coach and develop Manchester City into any sort of sustained improvement. In that context, Puel’s relative success in totally changing our style of play and producing what is overall a reasonably positive set of results is actually pretty impressive.

But it’s clear that things can’t continue as they are. As under Ranieri and Shakespeare, teams have worked out how to defend against us and to be honest it looks pretty easy. 2 banks of four, defend deep, 2 men on Mahrez, one man up front. Let Morgan and Simpson have it all they want. 

So the club needs to make a choice. Back or sack. And “back” doesn’t just mean giving him a bit more time. It means committing totally to what he wants to do stylistically. Realistically it means the end for Morgan, for Simpson and for Albrighton, all fantastic servants (and title winners!) but extremely lacking in technical ability by Premier League standards. Given that Morgan allegedly (deservedly?) wields a disproportionate level of influence this could be tumultuous to say the least.

If the club thinks that its more important to “look after” Morgan and co then fine, but in that case Puel’s not the man for the job. Personally I find that extremely dispiriting and short termist.

Super analysis. Agree with literally everything you've put and in a nutshell that's why it makes it hard for me to know if I want him in or out.

It's a gamble sacking him, and it's a gamble backing him.

But if they don't back him then those who brought him in have to go with him.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 1

Would someone please explain to me how *any* manager is supposed to evolve the playing style of a team without experimenting with different formations? Call it "chopping and changing" if you want (see https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/04/08/claude-puels-methods-create-strained-atmosphere-within-leicester/ ). But I don't see the  alternative. People want a ready-made solution where you just push a button and everything magically works, but this is delusional. 

• Like 1

Reading the Telegraph article makes me instantly think 'here we go again'! Is it the owners employing the wrong candidates? Is the squad the issue?

To me it could be a bit of both. But the squad should be strong enough to keep going and push for 7th. It's a big target that they all pretty much said they want to get back into Europe after our CL exploits. Well, now is their chance and this should be more motivation than anything else. If they're moaning then they need to look at the bigger picture, and really push for this European spot, no matter whether you like the manager or not. They should do it for the team, the fans and if nothing else themselves! Push any reservations they have till the summer. 

I personally would give Puel the summer to get the players he wants, to play the style he wants. I always thought that the summer was a big one and we may see the beginning of the end of the old guard: Wes, Simpson, Mahrez, Huth, Fuchs (who I don't want to leave as I think he's still better than chilwell at the moment) which was always going to happen at some point. I don't agree with his subs and his random selections sometimes but I'm still willing to give him the summer to see what happens. I hate the fact we've dropped points against teams that looked more than beatable, but the players need to take some responsibility as well? Sometimes I wonder if they truly do.  

Edited by fox_favourite

I can understand the unrest from the squad tbh in some respect with chopping and changing with team selection, some of the players need to look at themselves though as theyve been really poor this season, and one that really stuck out for me on Saturday was Danny Simpson,

It’s a snooze fest, I’ve never watched so much dull football, if we can’t win at home especially against the lower sides in the league then we’re going to be in serious trouble next season, as I’ve mentioned before we need to speed our passing up, be more positive and create chances, it’s just so tedious at the moment.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pete from the USA said:

Would someone please explain to me how *any* manager is supposed to evolve the playing style of a team without experimenting with different formations? Call it "chopping and changing" if you want (see https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/04/08/claude-puels-methods-create-strained-atmosphere-within-leicester/ ). But I don't see the  alternative. People want a ready-made solution where you just push a button and everything magically works, but this is delusional. 

Perhaps if the players performed they wouldn't get dropped as well.

• Like 1

Difficult one - a few changes need to be made but a few selections are a bit odd whilst  we seem to stick with some players too long. Puel took a brave decision to try Simpson for Amartey but of course he got injured and it backfired. Diabate seems to have jumped the queue and is ahead of Okazaki and Iheanacho and whilst he is talented he is not a number 10 and has never scored in the premier league  Fuchs seems to have been discarded and Dragovic has done very little wrong all season.Gray was in and now out again... may well be communication issue and frustration in the squad.

I do think we need a massive squad overhaul and I still think Puel is the right man to do this.

If you get a new manager in he's going to take time to learn the squad, meaning the 'old guard' get to stay another season.

Puel has a style of play he wants to play, by now I bet he's already decided who fits the bill and who doesn't. Meaning I'm sure he already has a summer wish and hit list.

There's too many players in the squad who have either decided themselves that their time is up or know that their days are numbered. Summer will be massive for us and we need managerial stability during this time. 

6 hours ago, Pete from the USA said:

Sadly this article this is all too believable. For weeks now it's looked like the team don't understand how the manager wants them to play. We know that time and again the players prefer to play a more direct and in your face style which is the opposite of what we do. This worries me a lot because if Puel loses the dressing room our form will deteriorate fast. I think the Shakespeare saga last year was bad for the team - we needed a better appointment in early to have a full pre-season to work with the team.

Despite being safe the last couple of games for Puel is massive. He's got to win over both the players and the fans. The Burnley game is huge!

9 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Heard that Man City had been interested in taking Schmeichel, but he wasn't willing to leave due to a lack of guarantee of being a first-team goalkeeper.

Man City want keepers who can play football.

kasper is shite at that and has awful distribution.

Edited by Everygamefox

10 hours ago, kingfox said:

At no point has the team given the impression that they are actively chasing "European football". They blow hot and cold and Burnley are much more consistent.

Oh, and his position may not be under threat now. But if the club management is "concerned", you can bet your ass Puel will have to walk comes the end of the season, if this run of mediocre results and pathetic performances on the pitch continue. We've all seen it before.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wookie said:

Crikey our players need to grow up and stop being so ****ing whiney. Whether Puel is sacked or not it's not healthy for the players to undermine the manager every 12 months 

Whilst I agree with the notion that employees should learn when to shut their trap and when to open it and question their own effort, it's also down to the manager to unite the team, shape it according to his vision and communicate his decisions in a clear and understandable fashion.

Pro footballers are like kids, that starts to change when they approach their 30ies. "Player unrest" happens at every club, nothing new there. It takes a bloody good teacher to handle a kindergarten, Pearson and Ranieri had that talent. I just can't envision Puel being that good at it. In Simpson terms, he reminds me of Principal Skinner.