Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

12 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Heard that Man City had been interested in taking Schmeichel, but he wasn't willing to leave due to a lack of guarantee of being a first-team goalkeeper.

No way is he good enough for a club like Man City. And I don't know where you've heard that from either. Can you imagine Pep going for a keeper that constantly kicks the ball out of play lol 

He's probably one of these that dictates the dressing room. He comes across as arrogant. Always blames everyone else but himself and the Lambert comment was the final straw for me. Whoever next manager is hope we get a new goalkeeper in.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 2

It's tough because Puel is changing how we play but we currently don't have the players to do it. So he needs a summer. But whoever the manager is in the summer needs several new players in because we need a new right full back, centre back, winger (Mahrez will probably go) and, in my opinion, a goalkeeper and probably another forward. I do worry about his football too (mainly the fact it's slow) but I also think it's hard to judge managers on players they wouldn't have bought.

We can't keep going through managers otherwise there is no consistency. One of the best things about Burnley is the fact they've stuck with Dyche. Even when they got relegated never once was his position under threat. My favourite recent period watching us (I'm talking periods here not just a single season) was when Pearson was here. Both times. There was a manager in charge who wouldn't take shit, I had confidence in our transfer signings, he built a squad and his staff were highly rated. We won't build a squad if we're constantly cycling through managers - other clubs have done it eventually failed, including us (how many managers did we have under Mandaric..)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, StanSP said:

'it is not thought that his position is under threat'

The key quote from that article, for me. 

Owners will stick by him and rightly so for now but the player power does have to be addressed. Somehow. 

Not what I've heard - not heard definitely one way or the other, but know they're not fully convinced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Beechey said:

Yes, nothing will pull in the international talent like Nigel bloody Pearson.

Would any players be queuing up to play for any of the managers outside the top 6 big names? Benitez, that's about it... but he's at a club that's far bigger than us anyway.

Players go where the money is most of the time.

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

My favourite recent period watching us (I'm talking periods here not just a single season) was when Pearson was here. Both times. There was a manager in charge who wouldn't take shit, I had confidence in our transfer signings, he built a squad and his staff were highly rated. We won't build a squad if we're constantly cycling through managers - other clubs have done it eventually failed, including us (how many managers did we have under Mandaric..)

Absolutely this. 

Of course, winning the PL was absolutely insane and we were all gushing with pride during that period - BUT, my longest sustained period of feeling proud of this football club was the several seasons under Pearson where it truly felt like we were a complete unit. The staff, the players, the fans, the recruitment, the sport science - we were all pulling in the same direction and I felt a closeness to the setup that I haven't felt since. I knew that players we were bringing in under Pearson were going to fit in - some of them may not have been the best player in their position but they had the right attitude and they worked hard and gave everything for the team and because of that they played well above their ability level most of the time.

Every time we embark on another ride on on the managerial merry-go-round I lose a bit of that closeness. I lose some of that pride.

Puel's vision might not work until he gets to replace some of the old-guard here. He's clearly sticking with the new style to get the players who will be staying in the right frame of mind for it next season. I genuinely can't believe we won't give him the summer and next season to see it through. If he gets the right players in the right positions then this style of football can work and will be probably be more exciting (when it works properly) and more sustainable for the future. 

I think we just need a little patience, really. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Beechey said:

He was what, 25, 26 when we got him? Not really the same as 34 (?) when we got Cambiasso, is it?

Exactly.

I gave Cambiasso, you said he wasn’t young and couldn’t build the team round him so I gave you two examples of youth who we’ve built a team around, international talent that Nigel bloody Pearson signed.

That’s why I responded with the picture.

Pure speculation this, but could it be a case that there is a clique of "old boys" who know their days at the top are numbered and will do anything to cling on?

Fuchs has been finished for a year or more as a top level player. Huth hasn't played at all this season (though doesn't seem the troublesome type at all). Then you've got Morgan who wrongly walked straight back in to the team after injury, with Simpson and Schmeichel who appear to have fallen off a cliff.

Could be completely wide of the mark of course.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

Exactly.

I gave Cambiasso, you said he wasn’t young and couldn’t build the team round him so I gave you two examples of youth who we’ve built a team around, international talent that Nigel bloody Pearson signed.

That’s why I responded with the picture.

Except Vardy and Mahrez were not internationals before they came here were they? And like it or not, replacing our two best players with more guess-buys is pretty stupid. We will need to spend big to replace either of them, with the incomings likely already internationals since they have to hit the floor running. That's my point.

The only defence for keeping Puel is to give him time to implement his so-called "possession based football." He ain't been at the club long but would have thought long enough to see a continual improvement in that area. In fact it looks like we are getting worse week by week culminating in a shambolic performance against Newcastle. Don't like sacking managers all the time but we're flogging a dead horse with Claude I reckon.     

• Like 2

To sack Puel now would be a fools errand, IMO - for most of the reasons mentioned in this thread. I wholeheartedly understand why he is being heavily scrutinized, but I'm also willing to look at our players too. Daft as I may be, it seems at times that the ability of a manager to affect the action on the pitch might be far more limited on match day than supporters realize. Managers create the weather around a club and a dressing room; and I think Claude is fighting against a very strong and entrenched storm system that's already managed to sink two gaffers.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Except Vardy and Mahrez were not internationals before they came here were they? And like it or not, replacing our two best players with more guess-buys is pretty stupid. We will need to spend big to replace either of them, with the incomings likely already internationals since they have to hit the floor running. That's my point.

Because spending big is the answer to all our problems.

Infact how many players have we signed recently for big money that have hit the ground running in recent years, not many.

We’re in danger of making this a totally different discussion here anyway.

Increasingly I find myself wanting the guy out, I backed him all the way until he dropped Dragovic for Morgan. We were playing so much better with Dragovic in the team and him doing this made me think he's bowing down to the players in order to maintain harmony. Which leads me to the point, what needs to change? Undoubtedly I think the squad needs to change, if Puel cannot cope with the Morgan situation than how can I hope he will make wholesale changes in this squad?! 

He was never a fan favourite to manage us and think he's done very little to win over the supporters, he's a club choice and until senior management see him not the correct choice I'm afraid we will only continue to question his position. Our style of football has become stale and mundane, we are struggling in games we should really get more from... I'm just ready for him to go.

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

Because spending big is the answer to all our problems.

Infact how many players have we signed recently for big money that have hit the ground running in recent years, not many.

We’re in danger of making this a totally different discussion here anyway.

Well if you look closely you'll notice I never claimed it's the solution or even that we should, I said we probably need to spend big to try and get adequate, proven replacements.

Edited by Beechey

20 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Increasingly I find myself wanting the guy out, I backed him all the way until he dropped Dragovic for Morgan. We were playing so much better with Dragovic in the team and him doing this made me think he's bowing down to the players in order to maintain harmony. Which leads me to the point, what needs to change? Undoubtedly I think the squad needs to change, if Puel cannot cope with the Morgan situation than how can I hope he will make wholesale changes in this squad?! 

He was never a fan favourite to manage us and think he's done very little to win over the supporters, he's a club choice and until senior management see him not the correct choice I'm afraid we will only continue to question his position. Our style of football has become stale and mundane, we are struggling in games we should really get more from... I'm just ready for him to go.

Were we really though?

Drew against Chelsea, good performance no doubt.

Beat a Watford in poor form, but it wasn't a great performance.

Lost to Everton in poor form.

Drew against Swansea.

With two shit performances against Fleetwood in between and a spanking against Man City.

I like Dragovic and I want to see more of him, but I think people have the blue tinted specs on about how good we were when he was in the team.

The same as people fixated on Iborra, when he blew hot and cold as much as everyone else as well, and James became the forums fall guy.

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Sadly this article this is all too believable. For weeks now it's looked like the team don't understand how the manager wants them to play. We know that time and again the players prefer to play a more direct and in your face style which is the opposite of what we do. This worries me a lot because if Puel loses the dressing room our form will deteriorate fast. I think the Shakespeare saga last year was bad for the team - we needed a better appointment in early to have a full pre-season to work with the team.

Despite being safe the last couple of games for Puel is massive. He's got to win over both the players and the fans. The Burnley game is huge!

You know, the Newcastle game wasn't so bad. I still think this loss was mainly from the Ndidi-Iborra partnership missing from midfield. Newcastle still have to face Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal so played like this was the match of their lives. Leicester fought intensely the second half and almost salvaged a point. It's not necessary or realistic to expect them to play that hard for 90 min of every game. If the Ndidi-Iborra partnership were in place I think they would have beat Newcastle even playing in 3rd gear, just like Brighton and West Brom.

Without Ndidi-Iborra in the midfield I wouldn't expect much from the Burnley match. Sorry, just saying..

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

To sack Puel now would be a fools errand, IMO - for most of the reasons mentioned in this thread. I wholeheartedly understand why he is being heavily scrutinized, but I'm also willing to look at our players too. Daft as I may be, it seems at times that the ability of a manager to affect the action on the pitch might be far more limited on match day than supporters realize. Managers create the weather around a club and a dressing room; and I think Claude is fighting against a very strong and entrenched storm system that's already managed to sink two gaffers.

Normally I would agree with you 100% as constantly changing managers cannot be good however, Chelsea provide an example that makes that questionable. The bigger issue for me is our Identity or more so the lack of it as we seem to be drifting without a plan. IF Puel is building a different style it is not a way that fills me with any confidence - agreed he may need a slight change in personnel but that does not explain the fact that we are getting out battled and out worked by bang average teams. I understand that the owners are not convinced and the players do not agree or understand all of what is being asked of them.

Personally I would like a manager that has some personality, one we can understand with a clear ethos and direction - to date Puel has done nothing to convince me that he has any of those traits.

This is another massive Summer as the difference between us and the relegation candidates has been the match winner that is Mahrez and the goals of Vardy with a distinct possibility one will go (almost definite) and the other will have some very attractive offers!!

We do need to evolve but not be bloody re-engineered - a fast counter attacking side with a great defence has its merits and can win games - Liverpool to a degree prove this without an outstanding midfield.

An upgrade on our right back and a quality number 10 would make such a difference but we will need so much more preseason now!

I am not sure I trust or have seen enough to back Puel with £150m+ to upgrade us on his methods based upon the way he has evolved one of the best squads in our history.

I think we must be patient. Instant success is all we crave and it is very hard to come by. We are bang average side. The win-draw-loss table shows that. These players were shite for Claudio in the end, the same for Shakespeare and now Puel going that way. 

Give Claude a summer to make changes and then judge a little more harshly if we aren't in the top half. 

• Like 2

At the end of Ranieri and Shakespeares reigns they couldn't seem to put their finger on what was going wrong.

With this quote from Puel, it seems he knows what's going wrong and wants to change it: 

“It is my responsibility to give them the good mentality, the good tempo, the good motivation to start stronger in our games. In the two last games it’s not enough. Our aggressiveness, our desire, our tempo in the play was poor and we have to improve all these aspects.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Were we really though?

Drew against Chelsea, good performance no doubt.

Beat a Watford in poor form, but it wasn't a great performance.

Lost to Everton in poor form.

Drew against Swansea.

With two shit performances against Fleetwood in between and a spanking against Man City.

I like Dragovic and I want to see more of him, but I think people have the blue tinted specs on about how good we were when he was in the team.

The same as people fixated on Iborra, when he blew hot and cold as much as everyone else as well, and James became the forums fall guy.

Probably best to look into the statistics in that period, from what I recall we looked tighter at the back and more assuring... as much as I like Morgan and thankful for what he's done we don't look that under him.

Saturday looked like what it was - a wander in the park for us and a do or die game for Newcastle - their second goal was a freak and a draw would have been about right. Puel's biggest mistakes for me have been believing the hype around players clearly not good enough for a top level team - Chilwell and James spring to mind (although he sussed Gray out which is a relief) - when he has proven internationals in the squad who he won't give game time to (Silva, Iborra). Dropping players in for the odd game does not build a good understanding between them and this was apparent on Saturday also - not surprised we struggled a bit in defence with no Wilf though and that was probably the difference between the loss and a win. If you are not going to be top 4 or relegation fodder you will end up in the middle and guess what - Puel has us in the middle.

• Like 3