Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
the messenger

Puel

13 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I'm 50/50 on this issue. On one hand I think the old guard needs to be got rid of this summer with a couple of replacements, but on the other hand, from what I've seen in the past five months I don't know if Puel is the right man for the job, especially now all this is coming out.

I think I'd be more leaning to giving Puel the summer to bring his players in and see where we are come Christmas 2018.

However, if he were to go, I'd want Dyche (who probably wouldn't come if Burnley finish 7th), Rafa or Wagner.

Don't think Dyche would want a job if he did not have FULL control of recruiting.

A Mahrez-type player would not last 5 minutes with Dyche. SD does not do "hissy-fits and tantrums". Shackell found that out quick enough and Ings left with a flea in his ear.

Edited by lancyclaret
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, lancyclaret said:

Don't think Dyche would want a job if he did not have FULL control of recruiting.

A Mahrez-type player would not last 5 minutes with Dyche. SD does not do "hissy-fits and tantrums". Shackell found that out quick enough and Ings left with a flea in his ear.

Yep, im sure Dyche wouldnt want a player with actual skill in his team. Give me Ashley Barnes any day and feed him gravel. Hes a real man.

Had to laugh when you were talking about Mahrez being a prima donna and then you bring out Jason Shackell and Danny Ings to illustrate the Burnley side of the discussion lollol

How many managers nowadays even have full control of recruiting, and if they dont, its not always a bad thing.

Jason Shackell lollol

19 hours ago, Pete from the USA said:

Would someone please explain to me how *any* manager is supposed to evolve the playing style of a team without experimenting with different formations? Call it "chopping and changing" if you want (see https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/04/08/claude-puels-methods-create-strained-atmosphere-within-leicester/ ). But I don't see the  alternative. People want a ready-made solution where you just push a button and everything magically works, but this is delusional. 

.....he is playing the same formation!!  What he keeps changing is the players. He still does not know his best team. It is not working, he needs to mix our game up a bit, going back to 4-4-2 by mixing up our play with the players that are available would have been a more measured approach as what he is doing at the moment is literally the definition of insanity.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....he is playing the same formation!!  What he keeps changing is the players. He still does not know his best team. It is not working, he needs to mix our game up a bit, going back to 4-4-2 by mixing up our play with the players that are available would have been a more measured approach as what he is doing at the moment is literally the definition of insanity.

He knows his back four (although I disagree), he knows his wingers and he knows his striker, what he doesn't know is his second striker or his CM to partner Ndidi. Injuries in the CM department this season have helped nobody though.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, lancyclaret said:

You wish you had a player with his skills and don't bark up the wrong tree.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, daddylonglegs said:

If Puel is in the dug out next year with the following team then I'd be confident

Schmeichel

New RB

New CB/Drago

Maguire

Chilwell

Iborra

Silva

Ndidi

Gray

Vardy 

New RW

However - if we still line up with a pair of donkeys on the right hand side of defence then we need a different style of play. 

......more like:

Schmiechel

New RB   Dragovich  Maguire     New LB

New DM     Ndidi

Ben Arfa                                     New LW

New 10       Vardy

Pointless giving Puel new season unless he makes the changes that are required.

11 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

......more like:

Schmiechel

New DM     Ndidi

New 10       Vardy

Ben Arfa is a number 10 and your formation doesn’t need one

• Like 1

If there is any strength in the rumours that Puel does need to finish the season with a good run then he needs address the right back issue sharpish

simmo needs to be replaced by Albrighton as he shows what an overlapping full back is capable of  - that means either gray or disbate on the left. Depends if you want to stretch the pitch having two left footers that side or not. If he plays Fuchs then I would favour diabate. If he plays chilwell who gets forward more then probably gray.

can he start this without wilf in the side ? Maybe not but he needs to show the board (and players) that his ‘vision’ has legs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lancyclaret said:

I get what you're saying, Dyche is very much a disciplinarian but he'd be cutting his nose off to spite his face and he'll never do any better than he currently is with you as there's only so far Scott Arfield and Ashley Barnes can take Burnley.

8 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

......more like:

Schmiechel

New DM     Ndidi

New 10       Vardy

I think thats harsh on Chilwell, Iborra & Silva.

We also don't have Ben Arfa so pointless including him in a team. 

Don't feel like Gray is worth a go? 

And also, are you saying we need to sign a 10 (which I agree with) or a 9 to play with Vardy? The formation is a little confusing. 

18 hours ago, Bablemikey said:

I don't buy into the idea that the "old guard" are unwilling to change and will destabilise any attempt to do so.

They are professional footballers and if the changes they are being asked to make and the way they are being asked to play brings results I'm certain they would be absolutely on-board.

The problems come when things don't go well, that's when doubt comes in and undermines the managers credibility if he is unable to lift them above it. That's not just our club, its the same wherever you go.

Have you ever read/watched ‘The Damned United’?

Set many years ago of course but shows how player power can undermine a manager so readily. And Puel ain’t no Brian Clough.

22 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I think the same and it’s another reason why I’ve not been down this season and posting less on here. I’m just bored of talk about management sackings, player revolts, bringing back Pearson etc etc.

Its ‘same shit, different day’ and has been for too long now. 

We need to clear out some of the older players, sign some good younger ones and knuckle down to playing some football. Puel needs at least a transfer window to try to properly evolve us.

Totally agree. I'm fed up with the constant negativity and calling for managers head , revolts etc. Sane shit, everyday.

Edited by Koke

He's worth staying with until October or so at least.

The  football we're playing now is not to my taste and I'm not convinced by him fully but we'll fall into the west brom/sunderland/Southampton trap if we go changing the manager so soon.

He's brought us from relegation candidates to possible Europa league hopefuls. It's not a Pardew type decline.

We're at a crossroads though definitely. Other than Fuchs none of the starting 11 from 2015/16  have been benched and we need to start moving on. Claude hasnt really dealt with phasing older players out.

We gave Claudio and shakey a transfer window to prove themselves.have to do the same for Claude. Something tells me it's not looking good mind.

18 hours ago, mod hero said:

Sheena actually does. You can find her up the cereal isle

Maybe you should take Sheena up the Oxo tower so that she can enhance her experience? :ph34r:

Edited by Blue Fox 72

6 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

He's worth staying with until October or so at least.

The  football we're playing now is not to my taste and I'm not convinced by him fully but we'll fall into the west brom/sunderland/Southampton trap if we go changing the manager so soon.

He's brought us from relegation candidates to possible Europa league hopefuls. It's not a Pardew type decline.

We're at a crossroads though definitely. Other than Fuchs none of the starting 11 from 2015/16  have been benched and we need to start moving on. Claude hasnt really dealt with phasing older players out.

We gave Claudio and shakey a transfer window to prove themselves.have to do the same for Claude. Something tells me it's not looking good mind.

I don't think we were ever relegation candidates, we just had an unusually tough set of early fixtures.

I think that Puel suffers from his apparent lack of charisma.  Fans don't have the patience with him that they might have with someone they could relate to.

I think the best thing he could do would be to spell out his vision to the fans.  I'm sure/hope it is not what we are seeing at the moment.  This is more a transition.

I would imagine when Mr Puel was offered the post the instruction from the owners was at the minimum achieve the Europa competition after having the taste of Champions.

Around 6 weeks ago I would have thought that might be achievable, however, from the last few performances  its pretty obvious 'there's trouble at mill' and the key objective is not possible.

I genuinely believe that there are some still pining for Nigel Pearson. I think there were many that had a metaphorical love affair with the man, that rejoiced when he told the media to sod off and when he ranted at the fan.

Whether this is right or wrong to feel this way, is subject to debate, but I’m sure that a number of  our fans have compared everyone since to Nigel and his unique ways. Some would love to have him back here. One thing is for sure, he wouldn’t entertain any notion of player revolts and all that nonsense.

Edited by Col city fan

13 hours ago, st albans fox said:

If there is any strength in the rumours that Puel does need to finish the season with a good run then he needs address the right back issue sharpish

simmo needs to be replaced by Albrighton as he shows what an overlapping full back is capable of  - that means either gray or disbate on the left. Depends if you want to stretch the pitch having two left footers that side or not. If he plays Fuchs then I would favour diabate. If he plays chilwell who gets forward more then probably gray.

can he start this without wilf in the side ? Maybe not but he needs to show the board (and players) that his ‘vision’ has legs. 

I know Albrighton is very popular amongst our fans, but the guy can't actually defend at all. A willingness to get back should not be confused with being competent, and he's actually poor defensively.

That said, Simpson needs binning ASAP. It's a real shame Amartey is still not fit.

1 hour ago, Fox1norfolk said:

I would imagine when Mr Puel was offered the post the instruction from the owners was at the minimum achieve the Europa competition after having the taste of Champions.

Around 6 weeks ago I would have thought that might be achievable, however, from the last few performances  its pretty obvious 'there's trouble at mill' and the key objective is not possible.

Even though we were 18th at the time? :blink:

• Like 4

If (as it seems) his intention is to convert us into a purely possession based side, I have to question whether the whole project is worthwhile. The quality of players required to pull this off is way out of our price range.

Whilst a worthy objective is for our players to be more comfortable on the ball than they have been in the past, speedy attack should always be a strong component in our arsenal to give us the edge over the rest of the dross outside the top six. Without that we are just Bournemouth wannabes (no disrespect to Bournemouth).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

Even though we were 18th at the time? :blink:

Wrong.

We were 14th.

We were 18th when Shakespeare got sacked.

Appleton took over for the Swansea game, won, it lifted us to 14th.

Puel won his first game which took us 11th.

It took Puel 7 weeks to get us 8th and we’ve pretty much stayed there.

So the situation when Puel came in wasn’t as bad as people make out. 

I agree it was concerning and only going one way under Shakespeare and something had to give but it was simply a tough start.

The fact our rise to 8th was so quick and the fact we’ve somehow stayed there almost unchallenged (likewise Burnley staying 7th, unchallenged despite not winning for nearly 2 months) just highlights what a bang average league/season it’s been.