Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Patrick Roberts

3 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

any movement with this rumour?

Hopefully not. We don't need a potential player. We need someone who has already delivered in a  European league that's not Scotland 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NasPb said:

Hopefully not. We don't need a potential player. We need someone who has already delivered in a  European league that's not Scotland 

We won the league with nobodies and rejects. We then bought proven champions league players who floped. If our scouting, coaching and sports psychology is good enough we won't need to rely on team and competition name to decide if someone is good enough.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

We won the league with nobodies and rejects. We then bought proven champions league players who floped. If our scouting, coaching and sports psychology is good enough we won't need to rely on team and competition name to decide if someone is good enough.

I'm not saying we need to buy Champions league talent.. Just players who have done well across Europe and who could really take us to another level. This lad is a potential player. Like gray. 

13 minutes ago, NasPb said:

I'm not saying we need to buy Champions league talent.. Just players who have done well across Europe and who could really take us to another level. This lad is a potential player. Like gray. 

..hope he's NOT like Gray! 

8 minutes ago, NasPb said:

Yeah taking a chance on players with potential is just silly look how bad Vardy Kante, drinkwater and Mahrez turned out, we only won one title and made over 100 million pound in profit selling some of them ?

13 minutes ago, NasPb said:

We bought players who had done well across Europe and thought they could take us to another level, but they failed miserably

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

So, wait a second...

Roberts is 21, has played well for Celtic whilst on loan, played in the Champions League, scored in the Champions League, and he could take us to another level - he‘s highly rated. And English.

I think it stems from fear, people were concerned that we will struggle without Mahrez. Signing a name makes them feel more safe and comfortable.

We don't have a great track record of replacing key players down the years, Lennon > Matt Jones, Heskey > Akinbuyi, Kante > Mendy etc

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Don‘t see what the problem is.

Some folks are questioning Jahanbakhsh‘s qualities, just because he‘s at an Eredivisie team, FFS.

Let's be honest a high percentage of players from the Eredivisie have struggled in the PL.

6 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I think it stems from fear, people were concerned that we will struggle without Mahrez. Signing a name makes them feel more safe and comfortable.

We don't have a great track record of replacing key players down the years, Lennon > Matt Jones, Heskey > Akinbuyi, Kante > Mendy etc

Let's be honest a high percentage of players from the Eredivisie have struggled in the PL.

Agree the replacing key players point -add in Lineker> MarkBright

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

We have, on the other hand, a rather great track record of "unearthing gems" and introducing youngsters, people from lower leagues and handing a chance to older players/has-beens that were practically written off at their previous clubs.

Huth, Simpson, Fuchs, Vardy, Mahrez, Kanté, Albrighton, James, Wasilewski, Konchesky, De Laet, Drinkwater, Knockaert, Morgan, Nugent, Oakley, Wellens, Hume, Berner, Gallagher, Dyer, King, Howard, Dickov, Scowcroft, Sinclair (well...), Heskey, Taggart, Claridge, Savage, Lennon, Izzet, Nalis, Guppy, Cottee, Marshall, Parker, Iwan Roberts, Elliott, Walsh... look at how they thrived at LCFC.

You have to replace players at some stage, and our current regime doesn't strike me as inept as or as ill-equipped as the one in the Nineties. Let's not forget that we tended to be a seller's club for a long period due to monetary constraints (and later, administration). The sportive situation today is completely different, and so are the financial circumstances.

And why bringing up Mendy still? Guy's been highly unfortunate with injuries - who knows what could've been if he hadn't clipped his foot against Arsenal...

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Agree with some of that but the club made it clear that Mendy was never supposed to be a Kante replacement. Different type of player.

45 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

A high percentage? I wouldn't say so, no more than there is with other leagues. Don't get me wrong, there's some guff signings from there, but not a high percentage. For every Van Wolfswinkel or Afonso Alves there's a:

Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Toby Alderweireld, Jan Vertonghen, Thomas Vermaelen, Christian Eriksen, Davinson Sanchez, Luis Suarez, Robin Van Persie, Gio Van Bronckhorst, Dirk Kuyt, Arjen Robben, Jaap Stam, Giorgino Wijnaldum, Marc Overmars, Nwanko Kanu, Moussa Dembele, Wilfried Bony, Dusan Tadic, Solomon Kalou, Park Ji Sung or Graziano Pelle.

Zlatan and Bergkamp passed through there as well.

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, foxpleasure said:

Agree with some of that but the club made it clear that Mendy was never supposed to be a Kante replacement. Different type of player.

Why did we play the same way, with the exact same system then? Just with someone not so good replacing Kante (King, Amartey and Mendy). 

18 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

A high percentage? I wouldn't say so, no more than there is with other leagues. Don't get me wrong, there's some guff signings from there, but not a high percentage. For every Van Wolfswinkel or Afonso Alves there's a:

Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Toby Alderweireld, Jan Vertonghen, Thomas Vermaelen, Christian Eriksen, Davinson Sanchez, Luis Suarez, Robin Van Persie, Gio Van Bronckhorst, Dirk Kuyt, Arjen Robben, Jaap Stam, Giorgino Wijnaldum, Marc Overmars, Nwanko Kanu, Moussa Dembele, Wilfried Bony, Dusan Tadic, Solomon Kalou, Park Ji Sung or Graziano Pelle.

Zlatan and Bergkamp passed through there as well.

Now list the bad ones....

4 hours ago, NasPb said:

How much European football experience did Vardy, Mahrez, Ndidi, Maguire and Ngolo have when we bought them?

• Like 4

I’m all for buying players with potential and promoting the youth team players but you have to have a balance of more experienced and older players also . Filling a whole squad with young potential is very dangerous in my eyes . Yes the squad could go of like a rocket but it also has the potential to just fizzle out with a puff of smoke like a cheap firework  or worse go off in your hand 

I haven't said there aren't bad ones – I've said there's been some guff - I just think that saying a high percentage of transfers from that division have struggled is hyperbolic.

Depends on what you classify as "high percentage" - if @coolhandfox thinks that something between 5 and 20% is a "high percentage", then that's his subjective point of view.

Even though a vast majority of people would probably argue against that kind of logic.