Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxinNotts

Namplys Mendy

2 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

It really wasn't. This is one of those foxestalk myths that if enough people say it again and again it becomes fact.

he had proved his fitness as played 20+ full games Tuesday, Saturday consecutively for Barnsley on loan the end of the previous season and he'd been our stand out performer in pre season. There was genuine interest from Derby and WBA, he had less than a year on his deal.

The club had two choices sell him on the cheap or give him a new deal. Seeing as the club knew Danny Drinkwater wanted out and Shakespeare rated Matty from previous seasons and didn't rate Mendy or Ammartey it was a no brainer to give him a new deal. 

I don't know the details but I'd imagine James contract cost the club around 6 million. I doubt 6 million would have even got us half the transfer fee of an adequate replacement never mind pay his wages for 4 years.

The new contract was a sensible business decision. All football transfers and new contracts carry an element of risk and Obviously with hindsight considering his new injuries it was a possibly a mistake but he could still easily regain fitness, go on loan for 6 months then sell him and the club would easily recoup the 6 millon layed out. Or he could be knackered and it's 6 million down the drain (minus the games he played last season) but I'm sure the club and the owners aren't losing any sleep about losing that on a educated gamble and neither should you.

Still dumb in my opinion. Cheers.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Brave decision by Puel starting him.

How do people assess him that first half?

I think he did some good things, but also looked shakey and made some strange decisions and passes.

Hopefully just a few nerves that he can shake off. Interesting to see N'didi being able to push forward more with Mendy sitting.

Still think it will be a push for him to nail down that place, but here's hoping! 

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

Brave decision by Puel starting him.

How do people assess him that first half?

I think he did some good things, but also looked shakey and made some strange decisions and passes.

Hopefully just a few nerves that he can shake off. Interesting to see N'didi being able to push forward more with Mendy sitting.

Still think it will be a push for him to nail down that place, but here's hoping! 

He’s been steady. He always was tbf. He was having a good game against Arsenal, when he picked up the injury. Good to see him back. Good half from him.

41 minutes ago, NewquayFox said:

Played well today, not quite up to the Kante standard yet . Tough in the tackle and picked a few good passes out...

You would have to go a long way to find someone who is but even being compared to Kante is a huge compliment.

• Like 2

Marseille have shortlisted Leicester City midfielder Nampalys Mendy as a possible transfer target before the end of the transfer window, according to reports in France.

L’Equipe have been linked with reports suggesting the French defensive midfielder is being considered as a replacement for Frank Zambo Anguissa, according to FootMarseille.com.

The 26-year-old appeared to have no future at City after injury blighted his first season with the club following his £13 million move from Nice and he spent his second season back on loan at Nice.

However, the arrival of Claude Puel, who managed him at Nice, has seen him given another chance at the King Power Stadium and he started Saturday’s 2-0 win over Wolverhampton Wanderers, only his eighth appearance for the club. He earned praise for his performance against Wolves.

The domestic transfer window is closed but the European transfer window is still open until August 31, allowing continental clubs to sign players from the Premier League.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/marseille-target-leicester-citys-papy-1916680

Marseille have shortlisted Leicester City midfielder Nampalys Mendy as a possible transfer target before the end of the transfer window, according to reports in France.

Suggest they add some more names to their short list.  He needs to be given a chance here.   Matty James may be?

21 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Suggest they add some more names to their short list.  He needs to be given a chance here.   Matty James may be?

Not short enough he must be 6 foot 

Was surprised to see him in the starting line up. But was so pleased with his performance on the day. He has now shown us what he can do and hopefully he can remain free from injuries and will improve further with a run of games. He looked far more effective on Saturday than Silva has done so far for us.

Hoping he wasn't put in the team by Puel for shop window purposes for the likes of Marseille. 

Edited by Blue Fox 72
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gerard said:

Played well on Saturday but for the right offer I'd sell. It's a position we're well stocked in and he's not a player we can't afford to lose.

We have a few midfielders but not many that play a Puel type of game. Mendy is going nowhere !!

• Like 1

Just now, Gerard said:

As with all players that will be completely dependent on price. 

We do not need the cash so going no where at this point in time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

As with all players that will be completely dependent on price. 

Obviously if another team were to offer insane money it would be considered but Mendy is a Puel player and is very unlikely to be going anywhere. 

• Like 1

Had a great game and fitted in nicely...  slightly defensive midfield when playing alongside Wilf but would be perfect if we switch to 3 at the back.

The real sticking point for me is that he is injury prone and will never get a good run in the team ...     hope I’m wrong.