Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxinNotts

Namplys Mendy

On 19/05/2018 at 14:23, Gerard said:

I was hoping this thread was a link to him moving on. :(

I was always against this signing when I looked at his stats over previous seasons. Doesn't make many tackles or interceptions and nor does he create many chances. He has good ball retentions stats but if you're not making many key passes this can be irrelevant if he consistently makes safe passes.

A central midfielder should either be a ball winner or creating key passes otherwise they are junior Lewis.

Edited for you. ☺

Edited by jayfox26

If he had gone back to Nice and started every game and had a decent season, then I'd definitely be up for bringing him back and giving him another chance, but he hasn't done that at all and similar to Kaputska, completely failed to make use of their loan away for regular football. 

Perhaps Puel can do something with him, but I wouldn't be that bothered if we moved him on, along with King and James, and brought in another top CM to play alongside N'didi with Silva pushed further up field and Iborra/Hamza used from the bench 

On 20/05/2018 at 10:49, KFS said:

If we're giving him another chance a new system could work well. How about this:

Kasper (younger replacement please)

Pereira

New CB (Dragovic please)

Maguire

Chilwell (or replacement)

N'Didi 

Mendy 

Silva

Mahrez

Diabate

Vardy

Other midfield options are: Iborra, Choudhury and I think we need another promising MF coming through. James and King moved on.

Puel  has tended to play a 4231

This formation is normally most effective with attacking full backs and 2 defensive midfielders to cover the attacking full backs, which is why looked better with Amartey and James in the side.

2 attacking full backs 2 CDMs sitting.

Against Chelsea we had:

Amartey Dragovic Maguire Chilwell

James Ndidi

Mahrez Okazaki Albrighton

Vardy

We looked well balanced and gave them a real run for their money and should have won.

That is why he persisted with James even though Iborra and Silva are better footballers, James as CDM gave us more balance.

Back to Mendy, if Mendy returns then there is a place to play in Puel's preferred formation and style.

Pereira Morgan(?) Maguire Chilwell

Mendy Ndidi

Gray Silva* Diabate**

Vardy

* Could be Nacho

** Could be Albrighton

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Why do people still think that Mendy can come into the Premiership, and shine, when he struggled to get into the Nice side? 

Just blind faith?

Nice had a pretty strong midfield. Let down in other areas. Suspect we will persevere for next season if puel stays. Squad player.

12 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Why do people still think that Mendy can come into the Premiership, and shine, when he struggled to get into the Nice side? 

Just blind faith?

Because all teams and players are different. It is about finding the right balance and chemistry and not just picking the best players. In Puel’s preferred formation he likes to play two CDMs. As I said above we looked excellent against Chelsea with James, Ndidi, Amartey and Chilwell (until he got sent off). We had pace and a threat on the flanks with a solid base and players that will cover. Iborra and Silva are better footballers, but James gave the formation balance.

Just because Mendy had an injury hit unsuccessful spell in France doesn’t mean he can’t form a good partnership with Ndidi in a formation he has excelled in before under Puel. Nice have been playing a 433 and it could just be that he doesn’t suit that formation and style. 

We have a player who has never really had a chance here, I don’t see the point in writing him off without giving him a chance. 

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wokinghamfox said:

That will probably swing it and the guy will be given a chance. Personally i think he is total garbage and would rather not waste any time on him.

What is this based on ???

How many games have you seen him play ??

• Like 2

• 1 month later...