Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

2018/19 U23s, Development, U19s etc

Hopefully the signings of Benkovic and Soyuncu doesn’t stop the likes of Johnson, Hughes and Knight getting a chance with the first team. 

If we do move to 3 at the back there will be room for maybe 1 of them in the squad next season, but if we sick with 4-2-3-1 I don’t see how they can progress with us.

Soyuncu and Benkovic will need game time, Evans still has some years left in him. Fair enough Maguire might leave, but they’d still have 3 players in front of them.

Edited by Shane

2 minutes ago, brucey said:

Knight and Benkovic playing. Has poor Johnson been made to play RB in the U23s again the moment he signed his new contract?

I think it will be Knight who is playing out of position at RB....after playing all last season at CB and being one of the stand-out players.  Appears it is Knight whose career may 'suffer' as a result of Johnsons contract 'roulette'...!

5 minutes ago, brucey said:

Knight and Benkovic playing. Has poor Johnson been made to play RB in the U23s again the moment he signed his new contract?

well he's probably signed a new contract on the basis that eventually he may make it in to the first team and play regularly there but for now he'll be a back-up player and continue in the U23s.

He's not 'poor Johnson'. He's probably fully aware he wasn't going to make it straight in to the first team just because he signed a new contract.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

I think it will be Knight who is playing out of position at RB....after playing all last season at CB and being one of the stand-out players.  Appears it is Knight whose career may 'suffer' as a result of Johnsons contract 'roulette'...!

I'll be really surprised if we dont sort out loans for Johnson and Hughes, really we could do with getting all 3 of these out to test themselves at next level...

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

well he's probably signed a new contract on the basis that eventually he may make it in to the first team and play regularly there but for now he'll be a back-up player and continue in the U23s.

He's not 'poor Johnson'. He's probably fully aware he wasn't going to make it straight in to the first team just because he signed a new contract.

Think theyre more alluding to the fact that hes being played out of his preferred position in the reserves than any expactation of playing first team football

• Like 1

7 hours ago, davieG said:

https://www.lcfc.com/news/806027/johnson-no-better-feeling-than-representing-city/featured

Johnson: No Better Feeling Than Representing City

Published 27 mins ago
2 MinutesReading time
Fresh from signing a new three-year deal with the Club, Darnell Johnson has discussed the pride he feels to represent Leicester City as the Development Squad’s season gets underway.
BySam Stevens

The Foxes will open their Premier League 2 Division 1 campaign against Swansea City at King Power Stadium on Monday evening (7pm BST kick-off).

Ahead of that clash, the England youth international spoke to LCFC TV, the only place to watch every single one of the Club's Under-23s fixtures, home and away, this season.

Johnson, 19, has tasted success at international level, helping England lift the UEFA EURO U19 title last summer, while also captaining City’s youngsters at the 2018 Hong Kong Citi Soccer Sevens.

Johnson is a European champion for England at U19s level, something he still takes great pride in.

As a new season approaches, the young defender reflected on another positive pre-season which has seen him feature regularly for Claude Puel’s first team.

“It’s great to be back after waiting so long in the off-season, I’m ready to hit the season running, I want to make this season the best season I’ve had,” he told LCFC TV.

“We know Swansea is going to be tough. We played them last season and we know what they’re like because, when we played them away, we lost so we know how strong they are.

“We need to be ready for that test but we all feel ready to go.” 

There’s no better feeling than wearing the Leicester City shirt. I’ve grown up in Leicester and grown up following the team so there is a lot of pride when I pull on the shirt.

Analysing his own performances in pre-season, Johnson stressed the importance of building fitness ahead of a campaign which will involve participation in four competitions. 

“On a personal level, I needed to play in pre-season so it was fantastic,” he said. “It’s about keeping yourself fit and maintaining your levels, so I’ve been preparing myself for the new season.

“The first team involvement can only benefit me as a player because you’re playing with players who make you raise your game so that was definitely a good thing.

“I’ve been playing for the Development Squad and for England’s youth teams for a while now so I feel like more of a senior head this summer.

Johnson operated brilliantly at right back before switching to a central defensive role in the second half against Notts County.

“With that responsibility, you need to bring an ownership of your play and the team and everybody pulls together to benefit the team which is fantastic.”

Discussing the pride of playing for City, a club he has been a part of since the age of 10, he added: “There’s no better feeling than wearing the Leicester City shirt.

“I’ve grown up in Leicester and grown up following the team so there is a lot of pride when I pull on the shirt.

“Every time I put that shirt on I want to perform to the best of my ability and to showcase my talent.”

Coverage of the Under-23s begins at 6:45pm on LCFC TV, where you can watch Johnson's interview in full as well as live action from King Power Stadium.

13 minutes ago, brucey said:

Captaincy taken from Hamza and given to Darnell then.

Puel seemed to prefer Darnell at CB. If he starts at RB it'll be odd.

Where's Sam Hughes I wonder? I think I heard he was injured?

Conner Tee, who some we're excited about, is on the bench.

Edited by Foxxed

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Fine if he can't get a loan (don't see why not) then play him in the U23s, good cover in case of first team injury crisis. But at least play him at CB, if Puel favours him over Knight currently. We'll see which of the three CBs gets to play out of position.

19 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

Surely the lads that were in the u23s last season could do with a loan to league 1/2 rather than another season playing reserve football?

Hamza really benefited from last year captaining the u23s to be fair. He'd been on loan before though.

10 minutes ago, TheMightySystem said:

Laughable that after pre-season they still can't get the livestreams working for kickoff.

Up now

I am being told not available in my region.  Joke.