Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Tunisia v England match thread

26 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Had a great time winding up a Man Utd fan with "oooh Vardy would have buried that" every time Lingard missed a decent opportunity (also constantly bigging up "best player on the pitch" Maguire who incidentally had a very good game).  And we got the 3 points.  7/10 match.  10/10 night.

you as well lol

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, shen said:

I was referring to the Danes, not England. Just having a little dig at the Swiss too because it was MC ;)

I don't think England 'shithoused' their way to a win at all. They created numerous chances and should've been out of sight after 20 mintues.

Going to be interesting to follow them :)

Apologies. I misunderstood. Drunkenness may be to blame!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Where was VAR when the wrestling match kicked off in the box? 

Being used... They review every decision/non-decision in the studio and only refer it down if there's something the ref needs to look at again. There wasn't, or rather nothing that would have benefitted the team being wronged. Stones makes a clear foul on the Tunisian #17 first. Should end there, defensive free kick to Tunisia. With where play had gone, it wouldn't have been valuable for the ref to review. If England had got another corner it would have so the ref can give Tunisia the free kick they should have had.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Problem for me with Henderson is I don't really see what he brings? He played ok tonight but his game is on as expansive as passing backwards and sideways. Whilst thats good in some scenarios against Panama it's not really what we'll need. He just doesn't really do anything for me. Wouldn't want him in when we play Belgium either. 

Within the first 5 minutes he played an excellent ball over the top to get lingard in behind. He works hard, tidies things up, is calm and composed on the ball and can play excellent balls forward when it's on. Every team needs a Henderson type, who keeps his head and mostly keeps it simple. Our problem is we play three "runners" and there's no creativity. We can't play Alli, Sterling and Lingard and leave Henderson in there alone. Take Alli out for Loftus-Cheek and add some creative spark in there to feed the forwards along side Henderson calm keeping it ticking over style and we'll have a better balance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Being used... They review every decision/non-decision in the studio and only refer it down if there's something the ref needs to look at again. There wasn't, or rather nothing that would have benefitted the team being wronged. Stones makes a clear foul on the Tunisian #17 first. Should end there, defensive free kick to Tunisia. With where play had gone, it wouldn't have been valuable for the ref to review. If England had got another corner it would have so the ref can give Tunisia the free kick they should have had.

VAR is still based on subjective decision by an individual. To make it work, needs one man to do every game. But I accept that's impractical. If those two fouls on Kane were not penalties, then the system is floored. In both cases England players appealed, but got waved aside. Their penalty was never a foull, the forward conned the referee. 

Only four players IMO played to their club form; the keeper, Trippier, Henderson and Kane. Harry M played well second half, but the rest were basically rubbish. Sterling, Lingard, Stones (apart from a great header), Ali and Young were very poor. Hopefully, Lingard never plays again. Rashford must start over Lingard.

Anyway, three points is three points, but the days when anybody respected us are long gone. Last eight would be a decent achievement which is doable if Southgate picks the right side rather than his favourites. 

47 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

It baffles me too but Southgate must have his reasons. For whatever reason he just doesn't fancy Vardy or think he suits the system or whatever.

It's frustrating as Leicester fans and to us it's bloody obvious, but I've accepted Vardy won't see much game time so I'm just going to get behind England whoever plays.

Agreed Izz. The result is the most important thing and that was positive. My club bias got the better of me a bit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

VAR is still based on subjective decision by an individual. To make it work, needs one man to do every game. But I accept that's impractical. If those two fouls on Kane were not penalties, then the system is floored. In both cases England players appealed, but got waved aside. Their penalty was never a foull, the forward conned the referee. 

Only four players IMO played to their club form; the keeper, Trippier, Henderson and Kane. Harry M played well second half, but the rest were basically rubbish. Sterling, Lingard, Stones (apart from a great header), Ali and Young were very poor. Hopefully, Lingard never plays again. Rashford must start over Lingard.

Anyway, three points is three points, but the days when anybody respected us are long gone. Last eight would be a decent achievement which is doable if Southgate picks the right side rather than his favourites. 

Appealing doesn't make it a foul. As I said, the first appeal is easy - it's not, first offence is by England and stones. Second, maybe, but it's still a subjective decision and one you regularly see not given.  

Our penalty was clear. Walker just threw out an elbow, blame him for being an idiot, not the ref for catching him.

4 minutes ago, Brooksy said:

Phil McNultys given Maguire a rating of 5 for that. What a nob

5 is harsh but honestly in disbelief in how so many people thought he was outstanding. He made some very basic errors. One of which would of resulted in a goal from nowhere had he done it against a decent side.

• Like 3

Everyone I was with screamed for a throw in our way seconds before we won that corner. We got a win we probably deserved, the positives to take from this one is that we can learn a lot and still took 3 points. Maguire was poor but he thrives taking it out from the centre not the left. Looked awkward and I don’t blame him for that. I watched the match with fans of every club... tried to explain how good Maguire is but he made me look a bit silly. 3 points that we might not have had in the bag. 

Loftus-Cheek, he did his own job and provided more attacking intent that Alli, Sterling and Lingard combined all in 10mins. Has to start the next game ahead of Hendo or Dier. Vardy on after 70mins would have done the trick too... they wouldn’t have handled the pace and Henderson has already restored to going long. I told a Spurs fan Kane is overrated, he asked why... I couldn’t answer the question. Not a skipper but he did his job. Well done Harry Kane. 

Edit: I am steaming! 

Edited by Leeds Fox

Also thought Kane's second goal is a bit underrated. He had a pretty tight window to fire that header into but, smartly, he places it instead of hurredly swinging at it like we had been doing all damn night up until that point. So fair play to him. And we deserved it.

• Like 1

have to admit i was pretty impressed with how we started the game, slick passing etc

but i still thought certain players were wasteful, Lingard and Sterling the main ones for me, and i think that Sterling should be dropped for the next game, doesnt look half the player he is when he plays for Man City, 

Personally on Sunday i think we should start Rashford instead of Sterling, offer more directness and doesnt look as lightweight as Sterling

good to see us win and score from set pieces too

7 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

5 is harsh but honestly in disbelief in how so many people thought he was outstanding. He made some very basic errors. One of which would of resulted in a goal from nowhere had he done it against a decent side.

His stats were actually very good. 

IMG_4675.PNG

Can’t believe some are defending Kyle Walker. He was lucky to stay on the pitch imo and if he’s doing this against the likes of Tunisia it doesn’t bode well for when we play someone decent. Not got the positional sense to play centre half

Cold light of day.  We werent too bad.  Second half was worryingly turgid, I do think Southgate persevered with Alli and Lingaard for too long, and possibly Sterling

But we won and should be happy with that

I need to get over my dislike of Jlingz and Kane and Alli and Walker, and enjoy getting behind the team (would be easier if one felt Vardz would get more of a look in tbh)

Too many touches from everyone in the second half, sluggish.  Those changes came a bit late I think.

We'll learn more against Belgium

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Can’t believe some are defending Kyle Walker. He was lucky to stay on the pitch imo and if he’s doing this against the likes of Tunisia it doesn’t bode well for when we play someone decent. Not got the positional sense to play centre half

This.

it was a stupid thing to do and very nearly lost us the 3 points.

They won a game they were expected to win, Belgium will be the only test England will face in this group, and I can’t see anything but a hiding. The formation is good however the personelle not so much, Lingard should not be in Russia, let alone on the pitch! 

34 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

How was he lucky to stay on the pitch?

It's a penalty but its probably as soft as you can get.

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

How was he lucky to stay on the pitch?

It's a penalty but its probably as soft as you can get.

Its an odd one, its kind of soft, but kind of clear cut.

His arm had no business doing what it was doing.  Ferdinand described the situation correctly

Think Walker was not confident of what to do and there is definitely a bit of panic in that arm swing

He's no CB