Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Tunisia v England match thread

13 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Thought we actually played quite well. 

I'd drop lingard and Henderson in place of loftus-cheek and dier personally but thought on the whole we played well. 

Chuffed for Maguire. 

I th ink that's harsh on Henderson but agree regarding Lingard. Agree we played w ell.

21 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Nothing wrong about shithousing yourself to a World Cup win. Jammy as the French and Danish! ;)

Still some way to go until they reach Swiss 2010 levels :D

I'd drop Walker, he's not a centre half, all he does is run fast when it's Trippier  on the wing creating everything. Defensively suspect in the box, gave them a pen.

Everything else was OK I think, I was getting annoyed at Kane second half but all he does is score goals, which is handy. Lingard is an absolute luxury player and I'd consider Loftus-Cheek ahead of him but he's another who can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

6 minutes ago, SpazticChicken said:

I'd drop Walker, he's not a centre half, all he does is run fast when it's Trippier  on the wing creating everything. Defensively suspect in the box, gave them a pen.

Everything else was OK I think, I was getting annoyed at Kane second half but all he does is score goals, which is handy. Lingard is an absolute luxury player and I'd consider Loftus-Cheek ahead of him but he's another who can pull a rabbit out of the hat.

It's a conundrum as I think we desperately need his pace in this system but we saw his lack of defensive nous when giving the penalty away.

We got a glimpse of it today with them getting in behind Maguire a couple of times. Against more dynamic and pacy attacking sides, a back 3 of Jones or Cahill, Stones and Maguire will be hugely vulnerable. Although we'd probably try and cater for that by bringing Dier in alongside Henderson.

Plus Tripper was probably our MOTM and got forward fine.

Edited by martyn

Without reading all of the match thread, my only BIG issue tonight were the subs, or lack of. (not just talking about not bringing on Vardy-thats another issue) but why did Southgate persist with Ali for so long? It was obvious he had taken an injury and wasnt 100%. That did us no favours at all.

Also .. Where was VAR when the wrestling match kicked off in the box? 

Glad we got the 3 points, although i thought we deserved it. But Tunisia were a poor team and anything other than a win would have been shit. We will need to step up our game a hell of a lot if we want to beat Belgium.  

24 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Against the better sides we need a second midfielder, alongside Henderson.

Got to be Delph really, can turn defence straight into attack and help take the pressure off Henderson, Alli at the moment I'm not convinced with, Lingard is good but he's better behind the front two as an attacking midfield rather than central midfield, Dier is good but is too similar to Henderson in his defensive style. 

Many, many reasons to be cheerful after that. We're a young team and only 2 of our starting 11 have played in a WC before. 

On another day we'd put away those chances and could easily have won 5-0.

Tunisia were dirty cvnts who played for a draw and the ref was fvckin useless. Pickford hardly had a save to make and we were unlucky to concede a penalty.

Onwards and upwards. We hardly ever win our first match in the group stages so I for one am delighted.

• Like 4

Seen enough tournaments to be pleased with that. Kane bailed out Southgate on the ridiculous decision to put Rashford on ahead of Vardy when we desperately needed a goal though .

Edited by Max Wall

19 minutes ago, martyn said:

It's a conundrum as I think we desperately need his pace in this system but we saw his lack of defensive nous when giving the penalty away.

We got a glimpse of it today with them getting in behind Maguire a couple of times. Against more dynamic and pacy attacking sides, a back 3 of Jones or Cahill, Stones and Maguire will be hugely vulnerable. Although we'd probably try and cater for that by bringing Dier in alongside Henderson.

Plus Tripper was probably our MOTM and got forward fine.

Yup I'd keep Trippier at RWB bombing forward, just didn't see enough from Walker. Screaming at Pickford in the first 10mins also didnt come off well to me, it was a little sloppy but he was full on scowling and screaming at him for a loose ball in the air, he goes on about togetherness postmatch but he's acting a nob at the first opportunity in reality.

Maybe even Dier could come in for Walker, he's a forward thinking centre half, or at least should be. I'm not having that he's a CM just cause he was taught in Portugal, he's a CB.

The big game in the most recent Tournaments has been the second one, Sweden in 2012 was a big win, Uruguay 2014 more or less knocked us out and 2016 Euros was our only win of the Group. This next one should obviously be different with Belgium the last game but we need to take Panama as seriously as possible, dont experiment with the system, play the best 11 and shithouse a win if we need to, keep progressing, keep grinding; grow into it.

Edited by SpazticChicken
dramatical inconsistencies

1 hour ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Anyone not mentioned how good Henderson was I was shocked, never seen him in a England shirt control things like that and get us on the move 

Have to say, understood tonight why he's an auto pick for Liverpool and England for the first time.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, shen said:

Still some way to go until they reach Swiss 2010 levels :D

Unbiased opinion? I've seen enough shite from England to know when they play well and deserve to win. Tunisia were no great shakes but they gave both Spain and Portugal trouble before the tournament begun. I think England were relatively impressive.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Henderson was excellent tonight! Are you mad.

Four changes next time out. Young, Alli, Sterling and Lingard out for Rose, Rashford, Vardy and Loftus-Cheek.

41 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

I th ink that's harsh on Henderson but agree regarding Lingard. Agree we played w ell.

Problem for me with Henderson is I don't really see what he brings? He played ok tonight but his game is on as expansive as passing backwards and sideways. Whilst thats good in some scenarios against Panama it's not really what we'll need. He just doesn't really do anything for me. Wouldn't want him in when we play Belgium either. 

Had a great time winding up a Man Utd fan with "oooh Vardy would have buried that" every time Lingard missed a decent opportunity (also constantly bigging up "best player on the pitch" Maguire who incidentally had a very good game).  And we got the 3 points.  7/10 match.  10/10 night.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Seen enough tournaments to be pleased with that. Kane bailed out Southgate on the ridiculous decision to put Rashford on ahead of Vardy when we desperately needed a goal though .

It baffles me too but Southgate must have his reasons. For whatever reason he just doesn't fancy Vardy or think he suits the system or whatever.

It's frustrating as Leicester fans and to us it's bloody obvious, but I've accepted Vardy won't see much game time so I'm just going to get behind England whoever plays.

• Like 2

The rage when he didn’t bring Vardy on.

In all seriousness a very impressive first half, if Lingard had have put half of his chances away we would have absolutely romped home in this.

I’m sure if we do the same against Panama we can’t be as wasteful as we could score a fair few and then the Belgium game is a free hit.

9 minutes ago, Max Wall said:

Unbiased opinion? I've seen enough shite from England to know when they play well and deserve to win. Tunisia were no great shakes but they gave both Spain and Portugal trouble before the tournament begun. I think England were relatively impressive.

I was referring to the Danes, not England. Just having a little dig at the Swiss too because it was MC ;)

I don't think England 'shithoused' their way to a win at all. They created numerous chances and should've been out of sight after 20 mintues.

Going to be interesting to follow them :)

• Haha 1

Had a few beers. But oh well. We fully

deserved that win. Remained patient. Stuck to our guns. Didn't get into their games or get wound up by them. Should've been out of eight by half time but you can't beat a last minute winner eh? Referee wasn't the best. Was it a penalty? Some will say yes. Some will say no. Resilient. Subs did well when they came on. Cannot fault any of the lads effort. Great to start with a win.