Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Musaaaa

52 minutes ago, Babylon said:

In terms of end product I'm not sure what else he was meant to do last night really, the support wasn't there most of the time.

I'm not just talking about last night though.... 

11 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I have been a huge critic of Musa from the start, but am wondering if there is some future for him playing as a wide striker type - the sort who can get to the byline and cut back crosses in, or race onto through balls.

Any role where he is required to hold up the ball and be included in intricate passing moves is a no-no, though, he lacks too many of the basics ad should only be involved strictly on the basis that his role will get the best of his pace and dribbling ability

His touch and control was very good last night... it's baffling how you can swing between extremes so much.

Have been critical as any of Mussa during his time with us, but watching him perform at the WC does make me wonder how 'welcome' he was made to feel in the squad. I don't mean that anyone purposely isolated him, but given his cultural background and reserved nature here, it does make me wonder whether he couldn't handle the 'banter' that Vardy and co would have been dishing out. We have always known that the 'band of brothers' built over a period of time was one of our main strengths in achieving the heights we have, but the dominance of certain players I feel has been a hindrance to new folk coming in and settling in. Unless you are thick skinned or can give it back when you get the piss taken out of you, it's easy to see how he may have become isolated from the group leaders. NDidi and Harry seem to be able to roll with it and their performances show their confidence, but others like Mussa clearly haven't fitted in. I love what Vardy has done for the club, but I'll be interested to see how the team dynamic changes with a bunch of first teamers that Puel has brought in. Unless we get at least our money back with a sell on clause, I'd be keen to give Mussa another shot at least till January to see if we can get the WC Mussa to play for us.

Same old problem, needs a run of games to get going, but we can't drop someone else to fit him in. He was supposed to be a back up for vardy, but vardy never gets injured so he'll never get game time, let alone a run of games. 

28 minutes ago, holyfox said:

Have been critical as any of Mussa during his time with us, but watching him perform at the WC does make me wonder how 'welcome' he was made to feel in the squad. I don't mean that anyone purposely isolated him, but given his cultural background and reserved nature here, it does make me wonder whether he couldn't handle the 'banter' that Vardy and co would have been dishing out. We have always known that the 'band of brothers' built over a period of time was one of our main strengths in achieving the heights we have, but the dominance of certain players I feel has been a hindrance to new folk coming in and settling in. Unless you are thick skinned or can give it back when you get the piss taken out of you, it's easy to see how he may have become isolated from the group leaders. NDidi and Harry seem to be able to roll with it and their performances show their confidence, but others like Mussa clearly haven't fitted in. I love what Vardy has done for the club, but I'll be interested to see how the team dynamic changes with a bunch of first teamers that Puel has brought in. Unless we get at least our money back with a sell on clause, I'd be keen to give Mussa another shot at least till January to see if we can get the WC Mussa to play for us.

That group dynamic has shifted quite a bit since Musa went out on loan. He'd also have Ndidi and Nacho around, players you'd have thought he would have bonded with over the last few weeks. 

Of course the danger is he comes back and plays like Bobby 10 Pints, and bang goes any World Cup 2018 premium...

1 hour ago, Gerbold said:

Nigeria are, in  my estimation anyway, the best team not to progress to the knock-out rounds. Having three City players in their team has livened up this WC no end for me. It's also demonstrated that Musa is far from the 'lame duck' most of us were disappointed to conclude after his stumbling performances for the team. For me, he has been the revelation of this WC so far but, from the comments made by the BBC commentators he has featured strongly, in the past, on occasion, for the national team. looking at his stats, he's played 75 times yet only scored 15 goals - 1 in 5 games. Looks like consistency is his problem. Wilf - as has been pointed out here - has performed immensely well.

Although I've generally admired Argentina in the past - especially at the time of the '78 WC win - that fool Maradona now haunts them. He's like the drunken uncle who turns up at a 'do' and you know he's going to get all the attention (for all the wrong reasons) and he's going to drag the party down. The insistence by the BBC director of panning to him and his cronies, every time Argentina made a shot and missed, was dire television. High time the media stopped giving him attention. Him and Gascoine.

You do realize that the TV rights and therefore the TV signal from Russia are sold by a single company (FIFA) to all broadcasters? The picture on show is the same for pretty much all televising countries. There's not much editing you can do with a live feed, either.

Ahmed Musa has shown his class in I'd say 1 1/2 games at this World Cup, he's blown hot and cold again. Fantastic against Iceland, poor against Croatia and good in patches against Argentina. As flawed as his performances in the LCFC shirt.

Edited by MC Prussian

Musa's stock is probably as high as it will ever be, if we get an offer to get him off the wage bill and recover some of that transfer fee that we shouldn't look that gift horse in the mouth.

This is what Musa is, 90% frustratingly rubbish with 10% brilliance. 

1 hour ago, turtmcfly said:

That group dynamic has shifted quite a bit since Musa went out on loan. He'd also have Ndidi and Nacho around, players you'd have thought he would have bonded with over the last few weeks. 

Of course the danger is he comes back and plays like Bobby 10 Pints, and bang goes any World Cup 2018 premium...

I'm hoping he just gets a chance with all the new players and like you said, there is clearly a bond with Nacho and Ndidi. The last two games have shown he clearly has more talent than the headless chicken we saw, but equally, he was always under pressure to perform in the small cameos at the end of matches where he basically tried too hard and the fans didn't cut him any slack.

1 hour ago, turtmcfly said:

Musa only left on loan in January, the three of them were here together for the first half of the season. Even then, I get the impression from their social media that Wilf and Nacho are much closer to each other than they are with Musa, both at our club and with the national team. Them two are always doing something together and Musa is always nowhere to be seen. Musa is a bit of a hero at the moment but I still feel he is generally an outcast here and with Nigeria.

Not much point keeping him as a wide forward who can get it up the byline but without end product, we already have Gray who can do that. I get the feeling though that we'll now delay a decision on his future until Puel gets another look at him in preseason. Do the players who get knocked out earlier report back earlier as well?

4 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

Vardy was useless when he joined. The situation is definitely similar

Really quick, poor first touch, poor finishing, played out of position. I'd be fine giving him another year. 

Sorry mate, Vardy’s finishing was never poor. 

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, daddylonglegs said:

Vardy was useless when he joined. The situation is definitely similar

It's couldn't be more dissimilar

Musa came in after playing in the Champions League, Vardy came from the non league. 

2 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

Sorry mate, Vardy’s finishing was never poor. 

I mean... it was

57 minutes ago, MattP said:

Musa came in after playing in the Champions League, Vardy came from the non league. 

When you quote half of my post it isnt. They're similar. They were both written off after a year and have similar playing styles. 

1 hour ago, MattP said:

The biggest change in Vardy’s game has undoubtedly been his first touch. 

He could always finish (although this has been honed to) but his first touch was dodgy when he first joined us. This has improved dramatically since being here.

Im not sure how people can swing their opinion so quickly. 

We were told before he signed by CSKA fans that he can do wonderful things but they were usually surrounded by terrible displays. The premier league is a far too strong league to carry someone like that in your squad. If your ambition is to stay in the league then yes a player like that is worth the gamble as they will win you a few games but if you want to be a GOOD, top half team then you need consistency as you need to grind out the results week in, week out. This is what we aspire to be, so why are we even considering him an option?  

This season should have been a lesson for us as we had a great opportunity to finish 7th but we didnt have that consistency, I want quality players that I can rely on on a regular basis, not someone who we have to wait 5 games to get the 'real player'. You simply cant afford too many off days and no matter how confident Musa is he will always have too many. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Im not sure how people can swing their opinion so quickly. 

We were told before he signed by CSKA fans that he can do wonderful things but they were usually surrounded by terrible displays. The premier league is a far too strong league to carry someone like that in your squad. If your ambition is to stay in the league then yes a player like that is worth the gamble as they will win you a few games but if you want to be a GOOD, top half team then you need consistency as you need to grind out the results week in, week out. This is what we aspire to be, so why are we even considering him an option?  

This season should have been a lesson for us as we had a great opportunity to finish 7th but we didnt have that consistency, I want quality players that I can rely on on a regular basis, not someone who we have to wait 5 games to get the 'real player'. You simply cant afford too many off days and no matter how confident Musa is he will always have too many. 

Yeah, I think that probably hits nail on the head.

His negatives outweigh positives.

A real confidence player AKA mentally weak, probably not what we need.

Same goes to Ian Nacho.

32 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Yeah, I think that probably hits nail on the head.

His negatives outweigh positives.

A real confidence player AKA mentally weak, probably not what we need.

Same goes to Ian Nacho.

Perhaps. Or he form was affected by his mother dying. I agree with the point a few pages back though: he was bought as a cheeky punt incase Vardy left. Not sure he's suited as a winger here.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Vardy struggled, then found out what it took at championship level and was a success. He struggled again when he stepped up, then he found out what it took at premier league level and was a success. It can take players time to adapt, Silva at the end of the season talked about how different and how demanding football was here.

Doesn't mean Musa would succeed, but this mentality of he's not been a it straight away, get rid, needs to change.

43 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Vardy struggled, then found out what it took at championship level and was a success. He struggled again when he stepped up, then he found out what it took at premier league level and was a success. It can take players time to adapt, Silva at the end of the season talked about how different and how demanding football was here.

Doesn't mean Musa would succeed, but this mentality of he's not been a it straight away, get rid, needs to change.

As you say Musa or any other player may never come good.

If a player may not succeed then there has to come a time when that player is moved on.  In the case of Musa, he has had three successive managers that have not selected him, often not making the bench and by all accounts has not set the U23s alight.  

It's been 2 years with Musa.  If he is still miles away from the first team which he seems to be, then that is plenty of time to say that enough is enough.  

Lots of our fans are scared to death to sell anyone in case they might become good elsewhere.

If you have faith in your recruitment ( I'm not saying we should) then using the market frequently to buy and sell is a positive thing.

52 minutes ago, murphy said:

As you say Musa or any other player may never come good.

If a player may not succeed then there has to come a time when that player is moved on.  In the case of Musa, he has had three successive managers that have not selected him, often not making the bench and by all accounts has not set the U23s alight.  

It's been 2 years with Musa.  If he is still miles away from the first team which he seems to be, then that is plenty of time to say that enough is enough.  

But these comments have been going on for about 18 months, like that were about Mendy and many others.