Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
waylander

Musaaaa

On 23/06/2018 at 18:25, NewEnglandFox said:

Also being played "out of position" doesn't change your technical ability.

It doesn't, but it can make you look a lot worse. Take Wasyl - he was poor when shoved out at right back for us, commanding at CB

When people say Musa was played out of position are they referring to us playing him as a striker? Because Musa believes his best and natural position is on the wing. He stated as much in an interview with the Mercury.

Edited by fleckneymike

10 hours ago, fleckneymike said:

When people say Musa was played out of position are they referring to us playing him as a striker? Because Musa believes his best and natural position is on the wing. He stated as much in an interview with the Mercury.

No, his best position has always been as a striker. I don't care what he claims or says, but he's clueless more often than not on the wing.

12 minutes ago, Marutimon said:

No, his best position has always been as a striker. I don't care what he claims or says, but he's clueless more often than not on the wing.

Had his best spell of 2 games on the wing vs Palace and Spurs, a goal in each game. Being dropped after that destroyed his confidence.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

I dont know how much his wages are....

... but surely we can afford to have a team to look at how we need to organise when he's on the field.  Fwds are heading towards the £100m mark... we need to figure this out

I think the penny may have dropped - whatever happens let's hope its not a panic sale or (pointless) loan to some crappy Turkish or Russian outfit 

On 23/06/2018 at 09:46, The whole world smiles said:

As far as I can remember (I may be wrong so feel free to correct me) Musa has only played as a center forward once for leicester, when he came on as a sub against Everton away in the FA cup and scored twice. Obviously more of a striker than a winger where we have been playing him.

So has Puel actually seen him play in a LCFC game? Given the massive changes to our style and player pool, you'd think CP would want to at least have a decent look at him pre-season. Could be our fourth new player !

3 minutes ago, FoxFossil said:

So has Puel actually seen him play in a LCFC game? Given the massive changes to our style and player pool, you'd think CP would want to at least have a decent look at him pre-season. Could be our fourth new player !

I think I'd rather sell him.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ozvaldo said:

I wonder if Puel will play him in any pre-season games, just to give him one last chance to prove himself here?

Personally, I'd sell if we get a decent offer - and I've been a defender of Musa. I don't think it's working out for him with us, for whatever reason. 

Slagged off for months but after one half decent performance and two goals he's the answer again for some? The law of averages would suggest that if he kept kicking a football about, sooner or later he may even manage to kick one in the back of the net! I'm just hopeful of a sale as opposed to a loan deal. He's very fast, though sometimes forgets that taking the ball with him can be handy and in Premiership football, easily knocked off the ball. He appeared to do little to combat the latter core strength wise.

55 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

It's really dire when all that can be stated about a player is that he's useless or has failed.

As to your sarcasm about the "mighty Iceland" - it's wasted on me, for one. Island are a tight, combative team who are at the WC on merit. They've impressed me and I take a lot of impressing. We've seen several major teams caught short by what used to be called 'minnows' - because there are no minnows any more at World Cup level - as the global football arena has become smaller so talented players have been drawn to Europe from countries without a history of football achievement. Your tentative demeaning of Musa's exceptional first goal by scorning the quality of the opposition doesn't wash - at all.

Musa has found himself in the position many footballers at professional level have found themselves in - surplus to the situation of a team in disarray - a team twice threatened in successive seasons by relegation and a failure of two managers to rescue the situation.

You might not rate him but his loan club certainly do, and, before you diss the Russian league, lets forget this good player - crap player, good league - poor league nonsense. Anyone who makes it as a professional footballer is not a 'Sunday League player' or a 'lower league player'. This is sheer snobbery - it's found in football as well as many other aspects of English life. Jamie Vardy, Nick Pope and several other players who've bypassed the normal progression protocols prove this. It happens - if not frequently.

Suffice to say that Musa wasn't able to prove his undoubted talent at City - neither was Kramaric. It doesn't in any way prove they are not excellent footballers.

As to "someone" taking "a punt on him on the strength of scoring at The World Cup" - weren't Fenerbahce interested before the WC kicked off?

My post was directed more at the attitudes found on FT than Musa's ability.

I never called him a 'comedy footballer' but he has been labelled that and worse on this forum  My post was supposed to point out that these same people are now praising him to the roof on the strength of a brace against Iceland.  As I said, the truth is somewhere inbetween.

I did say that I don't rate him.  I don't and you can disagree, but my opinion of him is formed from watching him over several games, not just one and he has shown on several occasions awful touch and technique.  He has failed at Leicester, which is why he has to move on. I don't say that simply as a dig, but in response to several posts suggesting we should now persevere with him.

I'm not sure why you are going off on a tangent about the quality of leagues and unorthodox progression.  Second guessing what you think I was going to say.  You're right, lots of players have had to find another way of progressing, you can add Alan Smith, Charlie Austin and Ian Wright to that list, I have never suggested otherwise.

I hope that Musa does perform at this World Cup.  Perhaps we can agree on that.

Edited by murphy

11 minutes ago, Gerbold said:

If I misinterpreted the intent of your post then I apologise.

That stated, then we were certainly in agreement on the 'timbre' of a certain number of posters on here. Lauding a player one minute and then condemning the same player two weeks later. I guess the more considered forum members have to grin and bear it but crass statements about the abilities of professional footballers are, at best, knee-jerk and at worst just plain deluded. There's an excellent half-page or so at the end of Nick Hornby's book 'Fever Pitch', where he puts the question of the relative ability and fitness of players into crystal-clear perspective.

The scouts watched Musa for two years/seasons so he had to have had some pedigree at CSKA Moscow (?) which he appears to have found again in his loan period. So it's a baffling conundrum - a player turns up at his new club and the outcome is always going to be unsure - it could be poor - to patchy - to middling - to good - to exceptional.

My point about different countries' leagues was intended to forestall any comment (from any poster) that certain leagues are 'weak'. Nevertheless, the English league, in particular, is very much a test of a player's adaptive qualities and resilience. I watched Adrien Silva last night and he was certainly more impressive playing for Portugal than for City.

One can never take the element of risk from hiring a player (or any employee - in any field). If clubs had the wherewithal to extend patience (and some do) then players might come good - however the £16.6m spend has to come good or egg lands on more faces than just the player's.

There's obviously a class-footballer in there somewhere - but careers and legends are formed on consistency. Maybe he's best off in Russia - seems to perform well there!

Clearly you can't accidentally do what Musa did the other night (certainly not the second goal, which I preferred to the first). At the same time it's fair to say he has looked pub-team standard in some games - shocking control and mishit passes. I can only put this down to confidence issues. It's easy to forget though that that if that's true, it's still a weakness in his ability, as much as lack of speed might be in someone else's. Obviously all players are affected to some extent by fluctuating confidence (I think a lot of what passes for Mahrez being 'lazy' is actually a result of a relatively fragile confidence), but can we afford to have a player who can play so badly when things aren't happening for him? How much time can we give him to see if he build up that mental strength, and will he just revert to type if he has a couple of bad games? You're potentially chewing through a fair chunk of the season finding out.

Maybe in Russia he's found a standard of football that means he makes fewer mistakes and has more chance to make amends for them. Maybe the fact that he has 'proved his point' to a degree over there means his mistakes don't weight so heavily on him.

20 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Clearly you can't accidentally do what Musa did the other night

Funnily enough my mate's 10 year old son is adamant Musa tried to hit that first time, mistimed it as it hit the side of his foot and the rest is history so they say..............

lol

Look... strickers cost loads.... maybe we need to rethink how we use musa and how the team plays when hes on.  Why not take the time to maxinise our ownership rather than sell.   It may not work.  But i have changed my mind about him... why not try to play to his strength

39 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Look... strickers cost loads.... maybe we need to rethink how we use musa and how the team plays when hes on.  Why not take the time to maxinise our ownership rather than sell.   It may not work.  But i have changed my mind about him... why not try to play to his strength

Would rather play to Vardy's strengths 

50 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

We've seen him be brilliant against Barcelona and then the rest of his time here could barely control a ball and have a terrible weight of pass. 

Let's not fall into the same trap again after a world class performance against Iceland.

Sell, sell, sell whilst his stock is high as we'll never get another chance.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gerard said:

We've seen him be brilliant against Barcelona and then the rest of his time here could barely control a ball and have a terrible weight of pass. 

Let's not fall into the same trap again after a world class performance against Iceland.

Sell, sell, sell whilst his stock is high as we'll never get another chance.

We  may be involved in his record.

Before we sell... stop think... and if we cant figure it out then cash in.  I am not agaist selling. ... but i think it possible that the set up at lcfc hasn't adjusted to maximise his impact. ... only an idea ...but one we should consider

18 minutes ago, woznotwos said:

Would rather play to Vardy's strengths 

So would i......but there may be games or parts of games where we have to optimise an alternative. Vardy is 32

Its not or.... its and

Edited by foxinsocks

Just now, foxinsocks said:

We  may be involved in his record.

Before we sell... stop think... and if we cant figure it out then cash in.  I am not agaist selling. ... but i think it possible that the set up at lcfc hasn't adjusted to maximise his impact. ... only an idea ...but one we should consider

Since winning the title and Puel coming here our buying record has been disgusting. Only Maguire and Ndidi are first team regulars and we've spent about £160m in that time.

There's nothing wrong in cashing in and reinvesting that money again. Our recruitment on the face of it has been superb since Puel arrived so I'm happy to sell a player that's failed here, thin the squad out and let Puel bring in his own players.

If we were signing Musa this summer I'd be really excited from the player I seen against Iceland but I've seen enough of him to know these performances are the exception and not the rule.