Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lovejoy

Iborra back to Sevilla

I think it'd be a stupid move. He's a quality back up midfielder.

Are Sevilla offering more money than he cost us or trying to get him on the cheap.

Must be the only one who doesn't rate him. For me the 'composed' comments confuse composure with what you might charitably call a 'languid' style. To me his composure seems a bit forced - it's as though he thinks looking hurried would be the worst footballing sin he could commit. Whereas to me being taking too much bloody time to do anything is a much worse one.

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

That's not going to happen, N'Zonzi won't come here but him and Ndidi would be awesome in the middle together. The Great Wall of Leicester. :D

Hopefully with Puel here signings like Iborra are a thing of the past, I get the impression that he demands good value from all our signings and we won't see ready made reserve players come in who are expensive and at an age with no potential for improvement. 

I get the impression with Shakey that he was like a fat kid in a sweet shop. We signed Iheanacho for big money to put him on the bench even though we were overloaded with strikers. Iborra was a different option to most of our midfield but ultimately was bought as an expensive reserve with little resale value, a huge waste of club resources but poor managers like lots of options regardless of cost.

I think Iborra was brought in as much needed experience and game management in the middle of the pitch. We seemed to want to change style (a bit like what Puel is doing with bringing in a number 10) but we did it half heartedly. There's nothing wrong with signing experienced players at times, we've gone for Evans this summer and I think Iborra did well in his first season but as an investment it was never going to be financially rewarding.

6 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Well it all comes down to whether he is going to play or not. 

You're better off spending 20k a week on a player not playing than 60k a week. 

I'd have him as a starter personally

I think if we want to push in the league and cup competitions, then we need players of his calibre and experience in the squad, even if they aren't necessarily a starter when everyone is fit. 

I always run the scenario in my head if one of our starters gets a bad injury 5-6 month lay-off, or even just a 1-2 month absence could have a real impact if we don't have a very able replacement. I'm not suggesting we should have 25 squad players all on 60k+ wages, but we should certainly be looking at our "first reserves" i.e 3rd choice CM in Iborra's case, as being a very capable player. The same for our 3rd choice CB too. 

I just think it is a risky strategy to assume that our starting 11 will play every game and so we don't need genuine quality on the bench - "squad fillers will do" etc. We are pushing for 6th/7th in the league and could be very capable of a Cup Final too. 

Yes I understand the cost involved, and the mistakes made in the past with players like Slimani and Musa, but for me, Iborra certainly doesn't fit into that same category. He is exactly the type of player we should be able to call upon when in need. He didn't cost a huge amount, he isn't on a huge amount, and he performed well and made and impact in his first season with us.

I'd like similar options like him in other positions, such as CB/Striker etc and then we blend those types of players with the younger prospects such as Choudary, Diabate and co. That for me is the way to compete on all fronts going forward and is very doable if done smartly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, weller54 said:

I just feel for Suzie in all this!! 

You have an inordinate amount of posts that mention Suzie. Is she superseding Rachel in your stalking hierarchy?

19 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I think if we want to push in the league and cup competitions, then we need players of his calibre and experience in the squad, even if they aren't necessarily a starter when everyone is fit. 

I always run the scenario in my head if one of our starters gets a bad injury 5-6 month lay-off, or even just a 1-2 month absence could have a real impact if we don't have a very able replacement. I'm not suggesting we should have 25 squad players all on 60k+ wages, but we should certainly be looking at our "first reserves" i.e 3rd choice CM in Iborra's case, as being a very capable player. The same for our 3rd choice CB too. 

I just think it is a risky strategy to assume that our starting 11 will play every game and so we don't need genuine quality on the bench - "squad fillers will do" etc. We are pushing for 6th/7th in the league and could be very capable of a Cup Final too. 

Yes I understand the cost involved, and the mistakes made in the past with players like Slimani and Musa, but for me, Iborra certainly doesn't fit into that same category. He is exactly the type of player we should be able to call upon when in need. He didn't cost a huge amount, he isn't on a huge amount, and he performed well and made and impact in his first season with us.

I'd like similar options like him in other positions, such as CB/Striker etc and then we blend those types of players with the younger prospects such as Choudary, Diabate and co. That for me is the way to compete on all fronts going forward and is very doable if done smartly.

He will cost us a fortune, don't be mistaken to think he was cheaper than a player like Ndidi or Maddison.

We don't know what we signed in players like Ndidi (£15m) or Maddison (£22m) but even if both those player were relative failures we probably get half our money back two years later by selling them on so the cost is Ndidi (£7.5m) and Maddison (£11m). This isn't the worse case scenario as both could be useless whether that be as players or injury but we also have the tremendous upside that these players could be £50m+ players.

Compare that with the signing of Iborra which was a little risk signing but with no potential upside either, only downside. As soon as we bought him we knew he''d be a bad value buy with his amortisation. He was a player who had been a reserve for Sevilla in the last few years and was almost 30. It was obvious this was always going to be a terrible buy value wise with next to no chance of getting our money back as we'll no doubt find out if he goes to Sevilla and their value of him will be a lot less than they received less than a year a go. 

PS - Last interaction with you on the subject. lol

Edited by Gerard

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think Iborra was brought in as much needed experience and game management in the middle of the pitch. We seemed to want to change style (a bit like what Puel is doing with bringing in a number 10) but we did it half heartedly. There's nothing wrong with signing experienced players at times, we've gone for Evans this summer and I think Iborra did well in his first season but as an investment it was never going to be financially rewarding.

The difference between Evans and Iborra is one has come here to be first choice for a bargain fee, the other came here for a much larger fee to be a squad player. I've no problem whatsoever with Evans coming here, playing three seasons and leaving on a free at the end of it after playing 100 games for us. 

Evans is a tremendous signing as things stand now as he's a top quality centre back and will bring a lot to this club and we should get VFM, that was never going to be the case with Iborra.

15 minutes ago, Gerard said:

He will cost us a fortune, don't be mistaken to think he was cheaper than a player like Ndidi or Maddison.

We don't know what we signed in players like Ndidi (£15m) or Maddison (£22m) but even if both those player were relative failures we probably get half our money back two years later by selling them on so the cost is Ndidi (£7.5m) and Maddison (£11m). This isn't the worse case scenario as both could be useless whether that be as players or injury but we also have the tremendous upside that these players could be £50m+ players.

Compare that with the signing of Iborra which was a little risk signing but with no potential upside either, only downside. As soon as we bought him we knew he''d be a bad value buy with his amortisation. He was a player who had been a reserve for Sevilla in the last few years and was almost 30. It was obvious this was always going to be a terrible buy value wise with next to no chance of getting our money back as we'll no doubt find out if he goes to Sevilla and their value of him will be a lot less than they received less than a year a go. 

PS - Last interaction with you on the subject. lol

Value on the pitch counts too!!! :frusty:

Football is a results business as well, not just a money making one. As many have pointed out, Iborra was not signed to make a profit on. He was signed to help us win games, which he has done and rather well too.

I would totally understand your stern stance on this if we had signed him and he hadn't played all last season, or played and been a disaster and instantly dropped i.e Musa. BUT he has been a good signing so far and there is more to come no doubt. All for £12 million. A starter (last season for 20 games) in the Prem who performed well and scored goals, for £12m? In this day and age? What is the issue?! :blink:

You seem obsessed with the business side of it all. You are definitely an accountant lol

P.S Mine too! I shudder when I see 'Gerard quoted you in a topic' :sweating:

Edited by STUHILL
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

I just feel for Suzie in all this!! 

I have it on good authority she's quite upset.

GoingNowhere.JPG.d63807df568599ec8e9d244e2e4c0f43.JPG

But confident he is going nowhere.  Relax everyone.

• Haha 1

Goodness me... I had Mahrez as my wallpaper on my laptop... once the fiasco happened in January I switched to Iborra. I need to think very carefully about who I switch to next time (I am sure there would be some suggestions from here though ;)!)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

We had a chat over breakfast this morning and he assures me it’s all just paper talk. :yesyes:

So glad you are keeping him fit and active. The Sports and Science Boys will be delighted.

• Haha 1