Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Snik-Snok

Stadium Expansion Plan Meeting

13 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

I've heard everything is going into getting the planning through for the training ground. Once that's sorted then its full focus on the stadium expansion. 

I think the planning app was initially expected to be submitted this month, but now may be delayed until next year. So the increased focus on the training ground app sounds legit. 

2 hours ago, Evington Fosse Fox said:

Leicester City Council planning are notoriously slow and allegedly have a Del Boy/JR Euwin attitude.

Our beloved Peter the Soulsby is no doubt scheming up a plan to capitalise with a PR stunt off the back of any outline planning permission granted!! 

Every planning department in the country has the same accusations of being slow and on the take.

There’s a set period (13 weeks) in which they must give an answer to a planning permission. The club will be proactive and all in consultation with the local authority. Probably all already submitted their fees for pre-application advice but this is never shown pubically. 

The amount of work what goes in planning permissions is incredible. Given the nature of the sites history, this will involve:- 

ground investigation for continamented land, gas monitoring (12 weeks minimum observations), flood risk assessments, foundation design details, structural implications, highway plans and alterations. The club will do this all up front and then provide to the council; therefore hoping for a smooth application. 

However, just like in the training ground scenario, you still have consultation with highways, environmental agency, the public and other bodies such as the coal authority. 

To give you an idea the company i work have just suvmitted an application for two classroom extension on the side of a school. We’ve been asked for a full traffic plan because there’s an increase of sixty kids going to school every morning. We’ve had Sports England involved because it takes 2% of their existing football pitch away. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, sylofox said:

From a football point of view surely the training ground takes priority. A state of the art training complex will have more benefits than 10k bums on seats will have in the short term. 

100%, new facilities where the players and staff are 5/6 days a week, where all the prep and training goes on. As great as it is to have a bigger ground, it'll only fill and be more in demand as the team progresses more. 

The new screens being put in are probably the start of minor alterations the club can do, whilst the big plans get passed. Obviously there will always be those that moan that there isn't progress.

51 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Every planning department in the country has the same accusations of being slow and on the take.

There’s a set period (13 weeks) in which they must give an answer to a planning permission. The club will be proactive and all in consultation with the local authority. Probably all already submitted their fees for pre-application advice but this is never shown pubically. 

The amount of work what goes in planning permissions is incredible. Given the nature of the sites history, this will involve:- 

ground investigation for continamented land, gas monitoring (12 weeks minimum observations), flood risk assessments, foundation design details, structural implications, highway plans and alterations. The club will do this all up front and then provide to the council; therefore hoping for a smooth application. 

However, just like in the training ground scenario, you still have consultation with highways, environmental agency, the public and other bodies such as the coal authority. 

To give you an idea the company i work have just suvmitted an application for two classroom extension on the side of a school. We’ve been asked for a full traffic plan because there’s an increase of sixty kids going to school every morning. We’ve had Sports England involved because it takes 2% of their existing football pitch away. 

Even the Council has problems - Underground find forces Leicester council to suspend construction of £13m Waterside primary school - https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/underground-find-forces-leicester-council-1992489

17 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Sure i read somewhere plans hopefully being submitted in January for a may start.

That would make sense but surely it’ll take a little more than 3 months so I wonder how they will manage that when next season starts.

Guest Markyblue
1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

That would make sense but surely it’ll take a little more than 3 months so I wonder how they will manage that when next season starts.

Led to believe new build will go on with  the ground still in use. Obviously will come a time when new build and present stands would have to join. Not an expert but would be similar to how Liverpool done it i suppose. 

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

:nigel: Ok Peter.

11 hours ago, Evington Fosse Fox said:

Leicester City Council planning are notoriously slow and allegedly have a Del Boy/JR Euwin attitude.

Our beloved Peter the Soulsby is no doubt scheming up a plan to capitalise with a PR stunt off the back of any outline planning permission granted!! 

They can't do much if an application hasn't yet been submitted!

• Like 1

Interesting to see the plans announced yesterday to build a 4,000-capacity "sports and convention" centre behind one of the stands at Ashton Gate: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-45550549 

Includes an indoor arena for the Bristol Flyers basketball team, along with housing, a car park and two hotels...

All part of wider plans for a "city quarter focused on sport and entertainment". Maybe we will see something similar in Leicester? 

The plans have been put forward by Ashton Gate Ltd. (an events company - not sure what their relationship with the club is?). 

Also funnily enough Bristol City are also planning to build a new training ground with a 500-seat mini stadium - their planning permission was approved last week...

1 minute ago, leicesterseddon said:

Interesting to see the plans announced yesterday to build a 4,000-capacity "sports and convention" centre behind one of the stands at Ashton Gate: 

Includes an indoor arena for the Bristol Flyers basketball team, along with housing, a car park and two hotels...

All part of wider plans for a "city quarter focused on sport and entertainment". Maybe we will see something similar in Leicester? 

The plans have been put forward by Ashton Gate Ltd. (an events company - not sure what their relationship with the club is?). 

Also funnily enough Bristol City are also planning to build a new training ground with a 500-seat mini stadium - their planning permission was approved last week...

Ashton Gate Ltd is owned by Steve Lansdowne. He owns Bristol City, Bristol Rugby, Bristol Basketball and I think s couple of other sporting teams 

54 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

The Riders got a new arena on Charter st. a couple of years ago.

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Ashton Gate Ltd is owned by Steve Lansdowne. He owns Bristol City, Bristol Rugby, Bristol Basketball and I think s couple of other sporting teams 

It's rolled into Bristol Sport. As much as the locals appreciate the investment, Ashton Gate has gone from being the dedicated ancestral home of Bristol City to some sort of mult-purpose sports complex. The new concourses are plastered with rugby images and Pep enquired if the lines (rugby) on the pitch were some sort tactical mapping.

A number of fans (football) are not happy.

Thank fook we kept the Tigers out of ours.

I like the idea of a sports complex but I wouldn't want to be sharing the facilities with the City's other sports teams. If the Football, Rugby, Basketball etc teams were all part of the same Sports Club like they are in other countries then it would make sense but seeing as they're all separate entities I don't think it would work. 

6 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I like the idea of a sports complex but I wouldn't want to be sharing the facilities with the City's other sports teams. If the Football, Rugby, Basketball etc teams were all part of the same Sports Club like they are in other countries then it would make sense but seeing as they're all separate entities I don't think it would work. 

Oh I agree with you, I don't think we should share facilities with other sports teams (and I don't think we will either...).

I only mentioned the Ashton Gate thing because the general idea of it (arena + hotels, etc) sounds similar to what some have mentioned on here. 

Personally I don't have a problem with other stuff being included in the expansion plans, but I would worry about it causing problems/delays...

Tbh I'd be happy with a bog-standard expansion to one stand, although I understand that given the investment required there may be a need for other sources of income as well in order for it to make sense financially...