Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Yes N'Didi

Welcome Danny Ward

Welcome Danny! Hope you can come in and give Kasper a proper competition, so he can perform to his best levels.

But that price of 12,5M £ and a 20% sell-on clause sounds extremely out of proportions for a back-up keeper. Sometimes I have this feeling, that part of our transfer dealing process is letting the other club leak stuff, because we always look like we got the short stick. Really hope the mentioned price is including all sorts of ridiculous add-ons, that will only be paid if Ward actually lives up to his full potential. 

10 hours ago, Spudulike said:

£12.5m ?? Really. As far as I know that hasn't been confirmed by either club.

Undisclosed.

A guestimate by someone, somewhere. Might be close, most probably isn't.

£12.50 is closer I would have thought, as you could get a blanket from B&M to warm the bench for less.

Edited by The Wizard

Comes across well in the interview and mentions 'keepers being good with their feet a few times.  As much as I love Kasper I do think we need a keeper more happy to play from the back.  I have no idea whether Danny is that man or not but I wish him all the best.  This thread's title and it's general content do not quite mesh so, to readdress that balance, I would just like to say welcome Danny, best of luck.  X

Edited by RumbleFox

8 hours ago, Tuna said:

Very hard to get too excited about someone who is essentially a backup keeper, he's a player with a lot of potential, impressed at Huddersfield and looking forwards could train on to be our no. 1 keeper over time. He should prove better cover and competition for Kasper than Hamer and Schwarzer were (not even bothering factoring Jakopovic into the conversation- what a bizarre signing that was). But the transfer fee - even accepting some of the money we paid would be due to Wrexham for the sell on clause - is massively, hugely excessive.

NO one now quotes the fee paid for Pickford which was nearly 3 times as much.  Yes in hindsight it looks like a bargain being probably the  england keeper for a decade but a huge gamble for a kid.  I am not saying Ward will be as good as Pickford but who knows.  Also being from the UK probably raised his price.  I am sure karius would of been the first keeper LFC would have liked to have sold but right now they couldn't give him away.

9 hours ago, Gerard said:

As I've said I don't take it as gospel but it's a bloody good guide. Do you not think we collectively as fans don't know a good player from an average or poor player. We could all see Kante was special  a couple of months before the media or other fans latched on to it. As fans are we not as good a judge as anyone when we've seen a player play for a season or more? I'd like to think I have a handle on how good or bad most of our players are. 

I also base my opinion on Klopp having him behind Karius and Mingolet and the Wales manager having him behind Hennessey. So that's Klopp, the Wales managers, Wagner (who didn't want to buy him) and the Huddersfield fans almost to a man who think he was distinctly average. I've never seen the lad play but all the signs point towards a bad buy and Liverpool look like they couldn't take our money quick enough the speed this has gone through.

Now you tell me your case on why he's worth the money we just paid for him or are you just a happy clapper who trust our scouting team implicitly despite the evidence?

You and the others commenting about him have not seen him enough to judge.  So wait and see him play for yourself to use you undoubted skill of determining if he is worth it or not.  To go off like you have with nothing more than some comments from some fans is not very logical really.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hack said:

NO one now quotes the fee paid for Pickford which was nearly 3 times as much.  Yes in hindsight it looks like a bargain being probably the  england keeper for a decade but a huge gamble for a kid.  I am not saying Ward will be as good as Pickford but who knows.  Also being from the UK probably raised his price.  I am sure karius would of been the first keeper LFC would have liked to have sold but right now they couldn't give him away.

Pickford was highly regarded through the England youth ranks and a stand out performer as Sunderland  got relegated 

Just now, HankMarvin said:

Pickford was highly regarded through the England youth ranks and a stand out performer as Sunderland  got relegated 

30 mil regarded?  really?  Did you think that was a good deal?  20/20 hindsight.

5 hours ago, Royston. said:

Pissing away 12 mill on a back up keeper.......cos we can:schmike:

The owners have recently spent far more on race horses - now that's even more of a gamble and they are paying top dollars (just short of £1m for some of them). Liverpool have just spent £45M or so on Allison their new keeper so they are thinking they want to recoup. THey're laughing at us to be honest because our owners are now used to spending lots of dough. Makes you think we sold Riyad Mahrez cheap though...:-) 

12 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Mahrez..will not be rep!aced.

His time has gone.

In the Next few PL games,I warn you all..Dont Start or even attempt to compare.

We will (hopefully) be seeing a total different concept and system,that will not involve,a Mahrez-type

Player,or Position needing his style.....

Puel will be dedicated and loyal to the New Generation,that converts and translates,to building up a totally

New Character and ethos for this New squad..

Also that will mean watching each player and seeing them Form a New perspective for their potential.

They will like Danny Ward,be starting From scratch,and taking on the "Puel way"...

Mahrez may not be replaced like for like but the creativity we have up top is frightening - in a bad way. Nobody knows how Maddison will bed in and without any other creative additions we will be a bottom half club, which if we go on a bad run, could turn us into relegation fodder.

We need to replace Mahrez’s goals and assists and currently were relying on a Championship player to hit the ground running... BIG ASK.

3 hours ago, Hack said:

You and the others commenting about him have not seen him enough to judge.  So wait and see him play for yourself to use you undoubted skill of determining if he is worth it or not.  To go off like you have with nothing more than some comments from some fans is not very logical really.

You're right I've not seen enough to judge, in fact the only game I've seen him play was when we beat Liverpool last season in the League Cup and he was in goal and I have no recollection of his performance good or bad. 

I am judging him on the information I have at hand which I do with all our signings. I called the Benalouane signing as a probable awful bit of business before he kicked a ball for us. I also thought Mendy would be a poor buy. When people wanted Sigurddsonn I was dead set against it and I really wanted Kante when most wanted Cambiasso back instead. I thought Slimani and Iborra would be a poor VFM buy as well.

I've got a few wrong as well as I would have preferred Keane over Maguire. 

I'm allowed to have an opinion before I see a player play for us for a season and I think at £12.5m Ward will prove to be an awful buy and never good enough to take the No1 GK role. At £3m no problem if he came here as back up but at the price he has come for then it's a failure if he isn't first choice sooner rather than later here as Leicester City can't afford to buy back up goalkeepers for that price, it's terrible business.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gerard said:

Also rated behind the worst GK in the league Wayne Hennessey by the Wales manager.

Everything about this transfer looks wrong and I'd love to know how we came up that he was worth £12.5m.

Liverpool had him third choice behind Karius and Mingolet.

Wales have him behind Hennessey

The Huddesrfield fans to a man thought he was bang average Championship level when he played 43 games for them in 2016/17

Liverpool never bothered haggling and took our first offer for their now 4th choice GK

Literally nothing makes sense about this transfer. He doesn't appear to be nowhere near good enough for our No1 and far too costly to be a No2. Even the elite clubs in world football don't spend this much on their back ups. It has money spunked up the wall written all over it, I hope I'm proved wrong. 

He’s probably being brought in using a bit of foresight. He won’t be No1 straight away but Kasper won’t be here forever, so Ward could well become our No1 in the next few years.

9 hours ago, Hack said:

30 mil regarded?  really?  Did you think that was a good deal?  20/20 hindsight.

Probably, he was pretty much stopping Sunderland losing 8-0 by himself almost every single game

Edited by Bugg

31 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Probably, he was pretty much stopping Sunderland losing 8-0 by himself almost every single game

I thought the Pickford transfer fee was too much at the time especially as Sunderland had been relegated and were struggling financially.

That said there was no doubt he was a quality young PL goalkeeper. It's one thing overpaying but still buying quality like Everton undoubtedly did with Sigurdsson but it's another thing overpaying for someone who will never be good enough for the first team which I predict will be Ward's destiny.

ST Holder L’pool supporter mate of mine reckons he was being held back by Klopps misguided stubborn loyalty to Karius and Mignolet and is a good signing. Frustrated he wasn’t getting a chance. Like myself has seen him playing for Lpool U23’s and looks quality...

Edited by HalewoodFox
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I thought the Pickford transfer fee was too much at the time especially as Sunderland had been relegated and were struggling financially.

That said there was no doubt he was a quality young PL goalkeeper. It's one thing overpaying but still buying quality like Everton undoubtedly did with Sigurdsson but it's another thing overpaying for someone who will never be good enough for the first team which I predict will be Ward's destiny.

Yes we overpaid, but 12m is the new 2m in this inflated market. Yes Ward may never be good enough for the first team, but what club signs a 2nd choice keeper with a view to them becoming 1st choice when they already have a solid 1st choice keeper?

The only teams with two keepers who could be first choice are United and Burnley. (Romero not as good as De Gea, but still a quality keeper). Hell even Man City don’t have a quality back up keeper to seriously challenge their 1st choice.

Ward has been signed as second choice, back up. That doesn’t mean he’s muck and should be written off. It means he has a specific role in the squad - to be called upon if our 1st choice gets injured.

1 minute ago, Shane said:

Yes we overpaid, but 12m is the new 2m in this inflated market. Yes Ward may never be good enough for the first team, but what club signs a 2nd choice keeper with a view to them becoming 1st choice when they already have a solid 1st choice keeper?

The only teams with two keepers who could be first choice are United and Burnley. (Romero not as good as De Gea, but still a quality keeper). Hell even Man City don’t have a quality back up keeper to seriously challenge their 1st choice.

Ward has been signed as second choice, back up. That doesn’t mean he’s muck and should be written off. It means he has a specific role in the squad - to be called upon if our 1st choice gets injured.

It really isn't. The market is the market. Too many people use it as a soft excuse to justify overpaying. We're in a global market and there is no such thing as a PL tax, if we offer the same as Bundisliga, La Liga or Serie A clubs the bids get treated the same.

There is so much wrong with your post if you think we can justify spending £12.5m on a player to be "signed as second choice, back up". You realise that we'll be the first club in history to buy a GK whose role is predetermined to be back up for £12.5m? He's not a "wonderkid" like Real Madrid spent £7.65m on the 19 year old Lunin this summer or the £18m Barcelona spent on Ter Stegen a few years a go but who plays all Champions League and Copa Del ray cup matches.

Anyone who thinks it's justifiable for a club like ours to spend £12.5m on someone we'll always consider a No2 is clueless.

I haven't seen him play so I can give an opinion until I see him. What I will say though is that the last few keepers we were linked with haven't done to bad for themselves, Pickford and Lunin. For whatever reason we didn't get either, maybe because of the price. But it does prove our judgement has been very good in identifying them. So Im willing to back the club's judgement until I see him play.

Liverpool's judgement of keepers is shit so who knows.

At the end of the day it's a judgement call, that's the nature of the business. We may have overpaid but then again he may prove a bargain in time. He may need a season to settle and adjust, but he has a big opportunity here to fit in with the new squad and grow together. 

Here's hoping he becomes a new hero while here.

He will be the best Ward we've had in goal since Gavin. I'm not sure why everyone assumes he will be back up. There must be at least 1 person who sees him as the future successor to Kasper otherwise we surely wouldn't have bothered? 

Anyway, I hope Wrexham enjoy whatever windfall they gain from this and it helps them return to the Football League. 

Obviously a lot of money and his worth has been created away from the clubs he signed for.

Over 8 years

Wrexham 0 Appearances

Liverpool 2 Appearances

Loans 70 Appearances

Our most valued development players have all experienced playing in the lower leagues be it signed  from or loaned to.

Something we should be addressing more.