Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Harvey Barnes - West Brom (loan)

He's easily amongst the best number 10s in the Championship, he's scoring and assisting with ease, his passing is regularly at eighty percent and he'll easily beat Maddisons scoring stats for the Championship and perhaps his assists too. And he's done this in about 18 games and with persistence. He's cruising.

If he stays for the rest of the season he'll get playing time, a confidence boost and probably awards. If he come back he'll get a lot less time, he'll be scoring and assisting much less if at all. But Puel will have six months to try to fit him into the team and he'll start his progress into Premier League football that much sooner.

Is he really going to improve that much more at West Brom or is it better to recall him and give him some Premier League experience?

Edited by Foxxed
Played 18 games apparently

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

Baggies fans even saying he had a quiet game by his standards. Only 35 touches. About the same as Rodriguez. He was playing as a left sided striker though.

Been playing there for a few games now. Seems to suit him well

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Baggies fans even saying he had a quiet game by his standards. Only 35 touches. About the same as Rodriguez. He was playing as a left sided striker though.

It does seem to be a toss up for West Brom of playing 3-4-1-2 with Barnes central to everything but their defence getting in to trouble with a possession style of game, to a 4-2-2-2 where they press and play a counter attack which means Barnes has less of the ball but still finds a lot of space to have 2-3 good chances a game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Foxxed said:

He's easily amongst the best number 10s in the Championship, he's scoring and assisting with ease, his passing is regularly at eighty percent and he'll easily beat Maddisons scoring stats for the Championship and perhaps his assists too. And he's done this in about 18 games and with persistence. He's cruising.

If he stays for the rest of the season he'll get playing time, a confidence boost and probably awards. If he come back he'll get a lot less time, he'll be scoring and assisting much less if at all. But Puel will have six months to try to fit him into the team and he'll start his progress into Premier League football that much sooner.

Is he really going to improve that much more at West Brom or is it better to recall him and give him some Premier League experience?

I was of the view point to leave him at West Brom till the end of the season but like you say it’s become clear that he can do the business at that level and the time is right to bring him back. We are struggling for creativity and more importantly goals and Harvey has a way of finding the back of the net. A 3-4-1-2 with Maddison behind Harvey and Vardy is something I would be keen to experiment with but playing in a 4-2-3-1 with Harvey/Maddison/Gray constantly interchanging behind Vardy could really work and make us less predictable. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

Can we recall him to play during January and then send him back if we decide to not play him again?

We could but that would be like your employer sending you to someone else to carry out a project and when you return he says 'You know what, we don't need you right now can you feck off back to the last place and get out of my hair'.

It's a balancing act. I imagine the club would only recall someone if they're certain they're going to be regularly involved. Otherwise, it could ruin their confidence.

I wonder how good his defensive discipline is. Seems to have improved under Moore from what I’ve seen. There is no point in bringing him back unless Claude is definitely going to use him on our bench and coming on regularly ...... at his age I would leave him to play every week there. He will not be a certain starter for us next season so will get plenty of bench time here.  He needs to be playing this season imo

• Like 1

This is Maddison's first season here as a young ex Championship player in a team in transition that have also gone through a fair bit off the pitch too. I wonder if he's got the stamina for an entire season as a guaranteed starter. Nothing against him of course but if does need to rest for some games it would be the perfect opportunity for Barnes. I believe 270 minutes of Premier League experience would probably beat coasting in the Championship.

• Like 1