Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beechey

Ricardo Pereira

19 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

Was speaking to someone at the ground about him, how the Fuchs did we get him to sign,  by far our most technically gifted player, and forget maguire the big boys will be sniffing around for this lad, and he’d get in all the top 6 teams.

Easy we had Puel. That's the reason we got him. 

• Like 3

This is what I'm talking about by people getting carried away! Some posters think he's cost us every single point we've dropped this season, others think he'd displace Trippier at Spurs, Walker at Man City, Gomez / Alexander-Arnold at Liverpool, Valencia at Man U and Azpilicueta at Chelsea. That's about as extreme a gulf in opinion as you can get.

And it's obvious, just as it always is, that the truth is somewhere in between. Basically, he's started well but he's still got stuff to work on. He's not the best RB in the Premier League, or the best right winger, and he's not cost us every single point we've surrendered either. Early signs are that he could become a good signing if he mans up a bit.

20 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Easy we had Puel. That's the reason we got him. 

I know that was a motivation, but hopefully not the only one, as we are 4 games in and people are doubting puel.

I’m in long haul, if we can get these kids firing, get the passed it’s out, and keep signing players of this lads quality, things might look good in two or 3 years.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

I know that was a motivation, but hopefully not the only one, as we are 4 games in and people are doubting puel.

I’m in long haul, if we can get these kids firing, get the passed it’s out, and keep signing players of this lads quality, things might look good in two or 3 years.

People wanted puel out before he’d even managed a game for us. Wouldn’t listen to them as they’d probably rather see us relegated with the old regime than change. 

Edited by OhYesNdidi
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Harsh to fully blame him. Shaw's touch off his shin basically screwed Ricardo over straight away. 

And the Liverpool goal, Robertson basically ran at him and knocked him over, on another day a fouls given.

For the amount we paid and the age of him, you can't be expecting a finished article, otherwise, honestly he'd be off to a bigger team.

I’d argue for the fee we should expect more, but perhaps more can be judged on him by halfway through the season. (Especially with a prolonged run at RB)

5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Which goal against Liverpool are you talking about? The corner? I felt Maddison lost his man for that one. 

For me Ricardo has so far been my player of the season. He’s had less peaks and troughs than anyone else and even in his worst game (Liverpool) he was still good. Always a threat as either a winger or RB, rapid, good tackler and very creative. 

Don’t forget this guy is having his first ever PL season, has played with three partners (Amartey, Albrighton, Ghezzal) and played in two different positions yet still has two assists. 

He’s hit the ground running and I’m delighted with him. He’s a fabulous player and at 24, only going to improve. 

The first one in my opinion is mostly his fault. 

And i already said he should probably improve based on it being only a few games into a whole new league (after that goal there wasn’t many threats or issues down his side).

Attacking wise I have no issues with him; he’s a breathe of fresh air and I genuinely think his passing/ crossing is brilliant. 

For the most part I agree with your last sentence, he can only get better; I just hope it’s purely on the defensive side.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Morgan to blame for both goals yesterday, so sluggish to react.

can’t quite believe there’s not more people absolutely flabbergasted at morgan’s role in the first goal. ricardo should’ve definitely done better but once he’s on his arse and the ball is rolling towards wes you’d at least expect him to move, surely. you’d assume he would at least think of that? honestly one of the strangest bits of defending i’ve ever seen. 

• Like 3

The first goal was 100% Ricardo fault. Got bullied like a child. Not sure what Maguire could have done.

The second goal was Madisson.  Firmino isn't exactly a big striker. But Madisson just let him go. Thats an area of his game that needs addressing pretty quickly.

5 minutes ago, Koke said:

The first goal was 100% Ricardo fault. Got bullied like a child. Not sure what Maguire could have done.

The second goal was Madisson.  Firmino isn't exactly a big striker. But Madisson just let him go. Thats an area of his game that needs addressing pretty quickly.

Their first goal was very lucky as it deflected off Maguire straight to their player.

Yeah the new players were at fault but they're new to the league and still finding their feet.

Give them at least half a season to adapt and then see how good (or bad) we are but let's not criticise them too much while they're experiencing things for the first time.

Maybe next time Ricardo will be stronger and hopefully now Madison will be more aware in the box.

26 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I can't quite believe what I'd reading in this thread about Morgan being at fault for both goals, what an absolute pile of shit and just goes to show and people are absolutely desperate to pin everything on him. The second one isn't even a debate, it wasn't his man who scored. He challenged his player. Maddison simply shouldn't have been marking their striker with us having Maguire stood around actually marking nobody.

The first one, there are two people far more at fault, Ricardo for just getting knocked over and letting his man Waltz past him, Maguire for not picking up the man in the box when he's stood staring at him. I'm not sure what exactly people expected Wes to do, he was never going to get to that ball, he could have gone a bit tighter, but he'd have opened himself up for the much faster player to just knock it past him.

Morgan has to see danger and close down the space though. He gives the guy with the ball 5 yards to just pick a pass. Not all his fault but he’s defiantly a big factor. 

6 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

Morgan has to see danger and close down the space though. He gives the guy with the ball 5 yards to just pick a pass. Not all his fault but he’s defiantly a big factor. 

If he'd gone tighter the player would have just knocked it past him and skinned him. He's blocked the angle to make sure it couldn't go across the face of goal, he's made sure the player couldn't go around him and he forced the pass to go to the outside of the box which is normally the least dangerous option. If people are going to blame Morgan for that then they should blame Ricardo for piss poor defending that caused it, Maguire for not being close enough to Mane and then kicking the ball into him, N'didi for not tracking and Chillwell for not covering.

I think he's a very good player. I can see why we are playing him further forward though as that's clearly the stronger part of his game, he gets caught out far too many times and doesn't appear to be a great defender or tackler, two of three times Liverpool failed to move the ball across to either Mane or Robertson on Saturday whilst he was elsewhere.

You can probably get away with him in a team as dominant as Porto in the Portuguese league at full back but here I don't think we have that luxury. I think the right hand side of the attack is where he is going to play and that means we need a new right back.

11 minutes ago, MattP said:

I think he's a very good player. I can see why we are playing him further forward though as that's clearly the stronger part of his game, he gets caught out far too many times and doesn't appear to be a great defender or tackler, two of three times Liverpool failed to move the ball across to either Mane or Robertson on Saturday whilst he was elsewhere.

You can probably get away with him in a team as dominant as Porto in the Portuguese league at full back but here I don't think we have that luxury. I think the right hand side of the attack is where he is going to play and that means we need a new right back.

A right back who can both attack and defend will cost us £30-40m in this market. Hopefully puel can coach him into an all round right back. Walker was also very raw at 24.

12 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

can’t quite believe there’s not more people absolutely flabbergasted at morgan’s role in the first goal. ricardo should’ve definitely done better but once he’s on his arse and the ball is rolling towards wes you’d at least expect him to move, surely. you’d assume he would at least think of that? honestly one of the strangest bits of defending i’ve ever seen. 

Yeh it was strange that he didn’t at least close the distance between him and the ball. He’s perhaps starting to feel his age. Wes has been an absolutely fabulous player and Captain for us but it might be that his mind is starting to doubt his body.  You have to think that Evans and particularly Söyüncü will start to get more game time alongside Maguire.

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

I can't quite believe what I'd reading in this thread about Morgan being at fault for both goals, what an absolute pile of shit and just goes to show and people are absolutely desperate to pin everything on him. The second one isn't even a debate, it wasn't his man who scored. He challenged his player. Maddison simply shouldn't have been marking their striker with us having Maguire stood around actually marking nobody.

The first one, there are two people far more at fault, Ricardo for just getting knocked over and letting his man Waltz past him, Maguire for not picking up the man in the box when he's stood staring at him. I'm not sure what exactly people expected Wes to do, he was never going to get to that ball, he could have gone a bit tighter, but he'd have opened himself up for the much faster player to just knock it past him.

While I agree that he doesn't deserve the blame pinned on him for both goals, he does take a share for the first.

However, Morgan looked exposed and nearly cost us on two other separate occasions due to missplaced passes and it's unfortunate that he was on the end of our biggest chance at the other end. We've seen that situation several times during the last years, his struggles to sort out his feet.
Objectively, he wasn't terrible by any means, but you just sense that he is on the decline.

Edited by shen

15 minutes ago, shen said:

While I agree that he doesn't deserve the blame pinned on him for both goals, he does take a share for the first.

However, Morgan looked exposed and nearly cost us on two other separate occasions due to missplaced passes and it's unfortunate that he was on the end of our biggest chance at the other end. We've seen that situation several times during the last years, his struggles to sort out his feet.
Objectively, he wasn't terrible by any means, but you just sense that he is on the decline.

To be fair though it did come to him on his bad foot - both of them! ;)

13 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Just watched it back and that first is piss poor from Morgan I'm afraid. He's not the only one at fault but he's probably the most capable of stopping that goal. Shocking defending.

I would say that Ricardo and Mendy were more culpable. Ricardo falling over at the slightest touch and Mendy refusing to move despite being the closest to the ball. Also Maguire for diving in and not standing Mane up.

All round pathetic goal to concede.

3 hours ago, MattP said:

Still can't work out why we're not going with wing backs. Perhaps we will when we've got Soyuncu fit.

Offers more protection to Morgan, gives us great attacking width, allows us to play with two strikers and Maddison and it means we can play two box to box midfielders with him.

I know it's almost become a meme here, but I can't help but think that 3-5-2 is spot on for us.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Still can't work out why we're not going with wing backs. Perhaps we will when we've got Soyuncu fit.

Offers more protection to Morgan, gives us great attacking width, allows us to play with two strikers and Maddison and it means we can play two box to box midfielders with him.

I know it's almost become a meme here, but I can't help but think that 3-5-2 is spot on for us.

This. Once Soyuncu is fit I'd like to see...

Schmeichel

Soyuncu Morgan Maguire

Pereira Mendy Ndidi Chilwell

Gray      Maddison

Vardy

With Maddison and Gray given license to roam behind Vardy. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Seems painfully obvious