Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beechey

Ricardo Pereira

11 hours ago, Shane said:

Watching MOTD, Pereira and Fraser are at similar starting positions when Begovic has the ball in his hands. 

Pereira jogs back instead of trying to get back and track Fraser.

Poor.

Didn't realise how bad this was until I watched it back. 

If his positional play is bad we can forgive him and blame the manager but no excuse at all for lack of effort.

16 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

If you thought he would be better defensively than Simpson then you're wrong. Not a bad player but I think he would be better as a wingback. 

I'm pretty sure everyone was. This is based on his price, reputation and the fact that he was declared our no. 1 transfer target.

im not sure what we've got here.

He Has looked anything but an international defender - positionally naive and too easily bullied by not even overtly physical opponents . On the other hand he is a quick tricky right sided attacker and could do well for us . It's up to management how best to utilise his qualities but pretty sure that won't be at full back . 

• Like 1

Struggled to stop crosses coming in ,often out of position, could have conceded 2 penalties.Bit worried about his positional sense, I know Simpson had his critics but that was his strength and he always got blocks in. We will more cover even against Huddersfield.Hopefully will go 3 at the back perhaps with Soyuncu to add pace to Maguire/Evans  and but that formation has not happened yet so Amartey may be in

See Ricardo as a decent midfielder with a good engine and he can be great to watch going forward  but not sure he is a wing back and there are better choices at full back

Edited by Edingleyfox

24 minutes ago, surrifox said:

I'm pretty sure everyone was. This is based on his price, reputation and the fact that he was declared our no. 1 transfer target.

He Has looked anything but an international defender - positionally naive and too easily bullied by not even overtly physical opponents . On the other hand he is a quick tricky right sided attacker and could do well for us . It's up to management how best to utilise his qualities but pretty sure that won't be at full back . 

I was never under the illusion he would be better than Simpson defensively. It was clear that Puel wanted to have full backs that offered more going forward. The irony on the other flank being that if fuchs wasn't in his 30s and had a better engine he would offer more than Chilwell.

However it seems that what has been overlooked is that playing that way needs a really mobile/clever defensive midfielder that can cover the gaps left. We seem to play with 2 yet neither seems to fit the role of covering that space.

With 3 in behind Vardy in effect and 2 over lapping full backs we shouldn't need the 2 cm bombing on they should be able to sit a bit deeper.

The whole reason we have a clamour for playing with wing backs is that clearly we are leaving our 2 not overly mobile centre backs with little or not protection and asking them to do too much.

• Like 2

On 23/08/2018 at 15:51, AKCJ said:

Ricardo is the sort of player we should have signed after we won the league. He's have been utterly perfect in Ranieri's side.

Well you’ve done it again... posted something I find utterly perplexing...

Ranieri had defenders defending and attackers attacking. Simpson was perfect in this formation.

Ricardo would have been utterly wrong in a Ranieri side. Unless he replaced Mahrez?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Well you’ve done it again... posted something I find utterly perplexing...

Ranieri had defenders defending and attackers attacking. Simpson was perfect in this formation.

Ricardo would have been utterly wrong in a Ranieri side. Unless he replaced Mahrez?

In his first season, yes. But then again we had the best midfielder on the planet.

Once we lost Kante Ranieri tried to get us to play a 'better' brand of football. That simply does not work with people like Danny Simpson.

You'd also do well to take note of the point "type of player" as in ball playing right back. Pereira is clearly having troubles adapting to playing in our side defensively but on the ball he's been very good for us. 3 assists in 5 games now, versus the 2 in 3 seasons from Simpson.

Edited by AKCJ

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

In his first season, yes. But then again we had the best midfielder on the planet.

Once we lost Kante Ranieri tried to get us to play a 'better' brand of football. That simply does not work with people like Danny Simpson.

You'd also do well to take note of the point "type of player" as in ball playing right back. Pereira is clearly having troubles adapting to playing in our side defensively but on the ball he's been very good for us. 3 assists in 5 games now, versus the 2 in 3 seasons from Simpson.

Didn’t Ranners have us playing 442 in the second season too?

:dunno:

I don't understand why we didn't start him in midfield yesterday. Out of all the sides we've played so far this season, Bournemouth are the most attacking open side after Liverpool. I think we should have gone with Amartey behind but that said hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The Ricardo situation I think is a good summary of where we are as a team. He’s definitely added a new dimension to our attack even when playing at full back but he’s unsuprisingly taking time to adjust to the physicality of the league getting knocked off the ball and caught out of position. Our league is quite simply harder and faster than the French and Portuguese leagues. 

As a team I feel we look better going forwards this season but more exposed at the back. Probably not surprising given both full backs push up so much. It’s definitely a learning curve for the team that was brutally exposed at Bournemouth. If anything their first two goals were against the run of play but all game long the high line and full backs that bombed on left acres in behind that both Wes and Maguire struggled with. 

The system definitely can work, with Spurs being a very good example of it but it can also backfire spectacularly too. 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

Clearly need a more defensive RB but for some bizarre reason Puel plays Amartey at RB when he thinks we need one, and not Simpson, who is the best on our books at present.

No point having an attacking full-back if he can't defend. 3-5-2 (which'll never happen) or drop Pereira for Simpson, simple. 

Edited by Frost
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, surrifox said:

Looks like a failed winger/midfielder that's been turned into a wingback who won't sparkle at either of his duties. It seems to be the fashion these days.The warning signs were there in the World Cup where he wasn't 1st choice. Early days though and still has to adapt in fairness. Let's just hope he's better at it than Silva and Iborra! 

19 hours ago, stulcfc said:

Time to play with wing backs every man and there dog can see that . With the players we have we should be doing better young squad I’d give Puel 3 more games then that’s it

19 hours ago, Beechey said:

By altering his role to RWB? Not obvious? Would require a tweak in formation.

12 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Clearly has a lot to offer as an attacking wing back but suspect as an RB in a back 4 - so why keep playing him as an RB in a back 4?

He IS playing as a wing back.

Chillwell and Ricardo play as wing backs in a back 4.  The cover does not have to come from a third centre half but from the 2 DMs in 4-2-3-1.  Think of the way Spurs play with Rose and Walker (Now Trippier) bombing forward.

I feel like I keep saying this almost on an hourly basis.  If anyone wants to criticise Puel, the defence, the formation or the performance at least understand the f--king basics.

http://www.soccerpilot.com/tactic/articles/introduction-to-the-4-2-3-1-formation,-soccer.html

Edited by murphy
  • Like 4

Well if he's playing RWB as you seem so keen to stress then Mendy and Ndidi aren't doing their job, it just looks like we're being caught out continously - which we are. We're more exposed down the right-hand side as well which seems no coincidence, unless he's a more advanced RWB than even your guide suggests?

He had a shocker yesterday. Completely lost in the first half.

He's more comfortable on the ball and good going forward but he's a major downgrade on Simpson defensively.

Keystone cops stuff like we had under Sousa.

Makes a good argument for Simpson to come back into the fold. Surely with Ghezzal and Maddison in front of him it couldnt do any harm even with his age.

2 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

He had a shocker yesterday. Completely lost in the first half.

He's more comfortable on the ball and good going forward but he's a major downgrade on Simpson defensively.

Keystone cops stuff like we had under Sousa.

Makes a good argument for Simpson to come back into the fold. Surely with Ghezzal and Maddison in front of him it couldnt do any harm even with his age.

Yesterday was very similar to Wolves where all their early chances came down our right flank. The difference was Bournemouth took their chances.

We have to do something defensively,...yesterday was suicidal football.

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1