Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beechey

Ricardo Pereira

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

For years we have read how Simpson never gets forwards now this?  For me I can handle a few defensive lapses if it means an attacking, exciting fullback.  From what I have seen so far he looks entertaining which, at the end of the day, if what football should be about.  X

Very true Rumble, particularly when we are firmly stuck in the mid table of the division

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cujek said:

If the guy was Roberto Carlos II(which reading this thread some people think he should be) then we wouldn't be here, would He?

Let's just enjoy what we currently have and support the players as much as possible.

I mean, we essentially had (an arguably better) Claude Makalele II for the title winning season. Just because a club isn't 'elite' doesn't automatically mean it's signings cant be.

For the record, I don't think Pereira is anywhere near that level - a very good player for sure, though - and his faults are going to be exposed at times throughout the season, as with every player. But to say that because we're Leicester we can't sign the best players isn't quite right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, murphy said:

Yes you can, that is Puel's preferred system, 4-2-3-1 including two holding centre mids.  He's been here nearly a year now, really we should all be familiar with the set up.

https://www.quora.com/Is-4-2-3-1-is-the-most-efficient-formation-in-football

:appl:

This post needs way, way more attention on these forums. This is a great breakdown of the system and formation we play and use and if you read the article it will make it abundantly clear why we signed specific players and why the are doing specific jobs. 

Whether the system and formation gets us the results we want is a different topic (I’m excited to see us try it properly), but this is honestly essential reading. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Hmm. Who from our midfield can drop back to make a back three except Hamza?

Who can't? We are already seen lot of central midfielder who never play as center back could do that like alonso and luiz gustavo. 

In our squad we have makalele carbon copy in mendy, while Iborra surely capable to do it. 

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

:appl:

This post needs way, way more attention on these forums. This is a great breakdown of the system and formation we play and use and if you read the article it will make it abundantly clear why we signed specific players and why the are doing specific jobs. 

Whether the system and formation gets us the results we want is a different topic (I’m excited to see us try it properly), but this is honestly essential reading. 

You’ll have to excuse my negativity here.

The write up offers nothing but a long winded explanation of the formation. Anyone who knows football knows how the formation works, surely. 

It contradicts itself in parts. It misses out some very important points, especially in the made up situations that are used. Nothing is as black and white as that makes out.

It’s repetitive and states the obvious far too much. 

All in all, I felt like I was reading a piece of GCSE P.E coursework. Why someone would spend hours their time writing that for a blog and still fail to proof read it is beyond me. 

1 minute ago, Leeds Fox said:

The write up offers nothing but a long winded explanation of the formation. Anyone who knows football knows how the formation works, surely. 

It contradicts itself in parts. It misses out some very important points, especially in the made up situations that are used. Nothing is as black and white as that makes out.

All in all, I felt like I was reading a piece of GCSE P.E coursework. Why someone would spend hours their time writing that for a blog and still fail to proof read it is beyond me. 

It's a fair point, it's not the best written article as I guess English is not the author's first language.

When I am at the ground, there are certain things you here over and over again. Even on these forums actually. "Why do we only have one striker up top?" "Why do our fullbacks play so high up the pitch?" etc.

I think the article is decent to explain things like that.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

It's a fair point, it's not the best written article as I guess English is not the author's first language.

When I am at the ground, there are certain things you here over and over again. Even on these forums actually. "Why do we only have one striker up top?" "Why do our fullbacks play so high up the pitch?" etc.

This.

However, you forgot to mention the "wing backs must mean five at the back" mantra.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Evidently not if you read most of the posts on this forum.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... Can you actually have a wing back in a back four? 

I thought this would only apply if playing a back three. Is this just semantics or is your suggestion flawed. 

2015/16 and 2016/17 Spurs played a 4231 and their wing backs played higher than their wingers half of the time. Positional errors will occur, bit the constant overloads on the wings I think make up for it. It allows the wingers to stay wide and the wing backs to drive into the middle of the pitch to assist the midfield (Chilwell does this a lot, and Ricardo's assist last week was when he did this), or to stay wide and provide the width. It's a good system, but we need to control the game for it to properly work.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Xen said:

I mean, we essentially had (an arguably better) Claude Makalele II for the title winning season. Just because a club isn't 'elite' doesn't automatically mean it's signings cant be.

For the record, I don't think Pereira is anywhere near that level - a very good player for sure, though - and his faults are going to be exposed at times throughout the season, as with every player. But to say that because we're Leicester we can't sign the best players isn't quite right.

I think his point was more that sometimes you've got to accept that all our players are going to have limitations, with the absolute freak that is Kante probably being the only exception. If Chilwell and Ricardo never made defensive errors and put in world class crosses all game, they wouldn't be here in the first place. Same goes for Schmeichel commanding his box and kicking perfectly every time etc. Players have weaknesses, maybe Ricardo's is that he sometimes leaves too much space in behind himself, maybe he's just adapting to the team and the league.

8 minutes ago, Guest said:

I think his point was more that sometimes you've got to accept that all our players are going to have limitations, with the absolute freak that is Kante probably being the only exception. If Chilwell and Ricardo never made defensive errors and put in world class crosses all game, they wouldn't be here in the first place. Same goes for Schmeichel commanding his box and kicking perfectly every time etc. Players have weaknesses, maybe Ricardo's is that he sometimes leaves too much space in behind himself, maybe he's just adapting to the team and the league.

I appreciate that, and I think my second paragraph covered that.

My point was that he (and now, you) have said that those special kind of players don't play for Leicester. I was just pointing out that they have in the past and they will again in the future. They might not necessarily stay here long, but to say that they "wouldn't be here in the first place" is provably false.

• Like 2

He looks very comfortable on the ball and is a clearly a competent RB. Getting used to the Premier League is a huge task and he seems to be settling well. I would certainly argue that given that he played for Porto - the strongest team in their domestic league, the need to track back was far less prevalent for him. He certainly hasn't been exposed to the pace of the Premier League in the clubs he's played for, albeit a few appearances in the Champions League. I think what's more promising is that he definitely has the athleticism to get up and down the flank with purpose. He'll be a huge asset for us and I can see why we paid that amount for him. 

Guest MattP
5 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

For years we have read how Simpson never gets forwards now this?  For me I can handle a few defensive lapses if it means an attacking, exciting fullback.  From what I have seen so far he looks entertaining which, at the end of the day, if what football should be about.  X

Right with this, far prefer an attacking full back creating than a rigid one.

Just look at the two best teams in country, Man City and Liverpool, both have a full back prone to errors but who can also create goals. That's the way to go.

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Ricardo's attacking should make us harder to defend against. It'll help us stretch play against sides who could sit back and defend against us easily. His presence alone will open gaps for others.

Ricardo is the sort of player we should have signed after we won the league. He's have been utterly perfect in Ranieri's side.

3 hours ago, Xen said:

You seem very confident Pereira will show himself flawed, though he has looked our most dangerous player so far. He's the sort of talent that typically winds up playing for a better-quality club, let's not crap on him just yet.

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Ricardo is the sort of player we should have signed after we won the league. He's have been utterly perfect in Ranieri's side.

Doubt it. Looks like Ricardo actually likes 2o 1. Attack 2. Play with the ball on the floor rather than watching it go from our back 4 to their CBs in one big punt. 

Edited by OhYesNdidi

2 hours ago, vanity said:

You seem very confident Pereira will show himself flawed, though he has looked our most dangerous player so far. He's the sort of talent that typically winds up playing for a better-quality club, let's not crap on him just yet.

Every player has flaws. Riyad often went missing, Vardy is hotheaded, Kante can't (couldn't?) shoot.

I'm not crapping on Pereira by any stretch of the imagination. He looks like he's going to be an absolutely fantastic player for us. But there will be times when his attacking play costs us defensively. Same with Chilwell. On the balance of things though, I'd much rather have him in the side than not.

8 hours ago, murphy said:

Evidently not if you read most of the posts on this forum.

I should have understood to be fair. It’s not a bad write up and it does explain the intricacies to the average person. I just felt like I was being patronised reading it.

Maybe I should’ve thought twice before posting with a bad day ahead :sweating:

8 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Quite right Strider. I’m no football oracle but I suppose having enough knowledge to understand the system is more than most people. I only usually pay attention to posts on here from people who actually seem to have a bit of knowledge. There are plenty who don’t. 

• Like 1

On 20/08/2018 at 16:20, StriderHiryu said:

The role of a fullback in the modern game has changed beyond recognition. 10 or so years ago the top coaches realised that fullbacks get on the ball uncontested more than any other position on the pitch and that taking advantage of this fact by creating 2v1 overloads for crossing and passing opportunities revolutionised the way football is played.

Who have been the best fullbacks over the last 10+ years in world football? Roberto Carlos, Cafu, Marcelo, Dani Alves, Ashley Cole, etc. Of that lot only Cole I’d truly rate defensively yet they will all go down in the history books as some of the best ever in their position. We had an extremely good defensively minded right back in Danny Simpson but in the modern system our manager uses that is not enough. Ricardo has played two games and has two assists. How many did Simpson have in the entirety of last season?

I’m not trivialising the art of defending and I would guarantee we will concede goals this season because Chilwell or Ricardo will be out of position just like we will concede goals by trying to play out from the back and giving it away. But to truly reach elite levels of play these are attributes the team need to develop. “Sit deep against Leicester to nullify the counter attack” is how teams adapted against our title winning team. Now we are adapting back!

The first time I seem to remember seeing this sort of play was Terry Cooper of Leeds and England circa 1970.

• Like 1