Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beechey

Ricardo Pereira

4 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

The first time I seem to remember seeing this sort of play was Terry Cooper of Leeds and England circa 1970.

Peter Rodrigues played right back for city in 1965 and he bombed down the wing quite often.

3 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

A name I remember well. Unfortunately I didn’t get to see City much as we’d moved to Wiltshire by then.

He was a pleasure to watch, loved to bomb forward and had a sweeping tackle that he was known for.

17 hours ago, cropstonfox said:

Steve whitworth got over the halfway line a couple of times! So did peter Roderigues!

David Nish and Steve Whiteworth were a fine pair of attacking full backs.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

He's clearly a good player, defensively after the first goal he didn't look bad.

It is annoying that in both the Man Utd and Liverpool games he's arguably cost us two goals from not being physical enough, but perhaps a longer run at RB should see some improvement.

Harsh to fully blame him. Shaw's touch off his shin basically screwed Ricardo over straight away. 

And the Liverpool goal, Robertson basically ran at him and knocked him over, on another day a fouls given.

For the amount we paid and the age of him, you can't be expecting a finished article, otherwise, honestly he'd be off to a bigger team.

1 hour ago, lcfc sheff said:

He's clearly a good player, defensively after the first goal he didn't look bad.

It is annoying that in both the Man Utd and Liverpool games he's arguably cost us two goals from not being physical enough, but perhaps a longer run at RB should see some improvement.

Which goal against Liverpool are you talking about? The corner? I felt Maddison lost his man for that one. 

For me Ricardo has so far been my player of the season. He’s had less peaks and troughs than anyone else and even in his worst game (Liverpool) he was still good. Always a threat as either a winger or RB, rapid, good tackler and very creative. 

Don’t forget this guy is having his first ever PL season, has played with three partners (Amartey, Albrighton, Ghezzal) and played in two different positions yet still has two assists. 

He’s hit the ground running and I’m delighted with him. He’s a fabulous player and at 24, only going to improve. 

• Like 1

He has been found wanting defensively a couple of times but I do think that's just part of the parcel with him annoyingly and we've got to compensate for that, because he's good enough at what he does going forward to make up for it. He should improve in time as well.

Good player. I like him.

43 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Which goal against Liverpool are you talking about? The corner? I felt Maddison lost his man for that one. 

For me Ricardo has so far been my player of the season. He’s had less peaks and troughs than anyone else and even in his worst game (Liverpool) he was still good. Always a threat as either a winger or RB, rapid, good tackler and very creative. 

Don’t forget this guy is having his first ever PL season, has played with three partners (Amartey, Albrighton, Ghezzal) and played in two different positions yet still has two assists. 

He’s hit the ground running and I’m delighted with him. He’s a fabulous player and at 24, only going to improve. 

The first goal where he was just waltzed past.

He's had a good start offensively but you could easily argue he's cost us 3 goals and 6 points so far, Simpson would be slaughtered for those mistakes, but as ever, as Ricardo is new and not been here a long time, he gets away with.

Not saying he won't improve but must say, he's a strange choice for our best player so far.

21 minutes ago, Sampson said:

He's had a good start offensively but you could easily argue he's cost us 3 goals and 6 points so far, Simpson would be slaughtered for those mistakes, but as ever, as Ricardo is new and not been here a long time, he gets away with.

Not saying he won't improve but must say, he's a strange choice for our best player so far.

That’s because Simpson offers absolutely nothing going forward so he hasn’t really got an excuse with his defending. Pereira is one of our best attacking players and like most attacking full backs you can forgive them for occasional defensive mistakes if they come up with the goods going forward. 

52 minutes ago, Sampson said:

He's certainly not been one of our best players, people have got a little carried away there (as with Maddison), but as you say there seems to be promise.

It's also a little harsh to suggest that he's cost us 6 points for those 3 goals. Partly because other people had a degree of responsibility for all of those goals (yesterday, for instance, Morgan wasn't great, and Chilwell on another day could have intervened), partly because you can only really argue that he cost us a point at Man U and a point yesterday, so 2 rather than 6, and partly because he's also provided a number of assists, which has to counterbalance his errors.

3 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

Morgan to blame for both goals yesterday, so sluggish to react.

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Morgan to blame for both goals yesterday, so sluggish to react.

Not sure, Riccardo was brush aside by Robinson and than Maguire cleared it against Mane who reacted well. So not just down to Morgan.

Second goal was down to zonal making, he started in Maddison zone who fail to track him. 

16 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Not sure, Riccardo was brush aside by Robinson and than Maguire cleared it against Mane who reacted well. So not just down to Morgan.

Second goal was down to zonal making, he started in Maddison zone who fail to track him. 

If it's zonal marking you mark the zone and if they run into another zone, that player deals with them. Tracking runs is man marking

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

Everyone sees the game differently which is why watching and following football is fun!

I see what you mean about the goal on Saturday, but though he did get out muscled (or maybe seems to have lost his balance), after that mistake Maguire and Chilwell could also have done better. So I'd say it's more of a systematic failure with our defence which sadly seems to happen to us every game until we get to about the 30 minute mark. Against Man U, I think Ghezzal lost his man, and that Shaw got a very fortunate touch to get his shot away (good finish mind) so am not too unhappy with Ricardo there. Against Wolves he did leave a lot of space in behind when he pushed up which caused Evans a lot of problems, but we didn't concede and when you push forwards in a 4-2-3-1 there are going to be gaps behind left and right FB's. We absolutely will concede goals like this during the season when teams win it back quickly and play it into the diagonal channels quickly, but if we get the balance right, the pros could and should outweigh the cons.

I'm certainly not claiming he's been faultless but I have been super impressed with his touch, his dribbling, his crossing and teamwork with whoever he's been paired with on his side of the field. He's added a new dimension to our attacking play and given that he's never played in the league, it seems like he's needed little time to adjust because he makes a valuable offensive contribution in every game. There is a video earlier in this thread that was on the LCFC site showcasing his play, and it really demonstrates how good he has been. This season the reason why we are more incisive is because of three players - Maddison, Ricardo and Chilwell. These 3 are creating lots of spaces and room for others to move into. It's not champagne football yet, but as long as the guys are practicing hard on the training ground, it should improve. Given that we've already given Man U and Liverpool a really good game, this is really exciting for the rest of the season.

There have been some other good players for the team too this season such as Chilwell, Maddison, Ndidi and Mendy but given the adaptability Ricardo has shown he's been the stand out for *me* so far. Hopefully they all come good come the end of the season!

• Like 1

On 24/08/2018 at 12:11, STUHILL said:

This guy is class! He has such quality on the ball and I can see him getting a load more assists this season. With Chilwell beginning to show consistency too, we have two very attacking full backs, which I've been wanting to see for a while now. 

Our back 4 is shaping up so nicely now, and for the future! If Mendy has a big breakthrough season for us, then we are also set for our sitting DCM's and then we have players like Gray, Maddison and Iheanacho in attack, already starting games for us, with years ahead of them to peak! 

Exciting times indeed! :wub:

Was speaking to someone at the ground about him, how the Fuchs did we get him to sign,  by far our most technically gifted player, and forget maguire the big boys will be sniffing around for this lad, and he’d get in all the top 6 teams.

Edited by Monsell1976
  • Like 1