Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beechey

Ricardo Pereira

Clearly needs work on positioning,   but then it’s up to Puel on how much licence he has to go forward. I don’t think playing for Porto did him any favours, 9 times out of 10 he probably got away with being out of position, but not in the Premier League. I do think he’ll come good in time.  

For the money the club shelled out he should be much nearer the finished article than he's shown so far. Seems that the Puel is a genius brigade were a bit premature with their over the top worship of him as a transfer wizard. Simpson is still the best right back at the club and he's been frozen out by Amartey (say no more) and Pereira (signed as a right back but better playing wide right). Oh well, who are us minions to question his long term planning.

If we ignore the whole debate about wing backs and 3 at the back.

And deal with the fact Claude clearly wants our full backs to attack. Then you need a defensive midfielder that can cover the ground to close those gaps left by them getting forward.

Shame the only man with that engine left 2 years ago.:ph34r:

Just now, Shane said:

Watching MOTD, Pereira and Fraser are at similar starting positions when Begovic has the ball in his hands. 

Pereira jogs back instead of trying to get back and track Fraser.

Poor.

Puel needs to make a decision on him. He either switches formation to play to his and other players' strengths or he drops him, as he is not a RB. He is a RWB or RW

3 minutes ago, Shane said:

Watching MOTD, Pereira and Fraser are at similar starting positions when Begovic has the ball in his hands. 

Poor.

Spot on.

Time for us to change formation or play him as a winger.

He is incredible going forward, so bad defensively.

22 hours ago, Shane said:

Poor.

I never noticed that in real-time. Another point is though that Bournemouth have 3 players attacking, versus Leicester's 5 players defending. Ghezzal and Mendy too should be covering on that side, but instead he's in the 10 position. Morgan too should be seeing that massive space and moving into it to deny it, so the rest of the back 4 can shuffle over.

Instead, everyone is shit.

Edited by Beechey

2 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

Our back four has ricardo who can’t defend, chilwell who can’t defend, Maguire who’s not great defensively but is good on the ball and can bring it out and Morgan who’s a has been we’re on a hiding to nothing!

It's not really that Ricardo can't defend, because he can (he's averaging the most tackles per game in our squad), but that his movement forwards leads him to be really exposed on the counter. I refute the argument that Chilwell can't though. Seen nothing this season to show that. Easily the best of the back line today, and for most games this season, too I think.

Edited by Beechey
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

Our back four has ricardo who can’t defend, chilwell who can’t defend, Maguire who’s not great defensively but is good on the ball and can bring it out and Morgan who’s a has been we’re on a hiding to nothing!

We genuinely don’t have any good defenders.

7 minutes ago, Beechey said:

It's not really that Ricardo can't defend, because he can (he's averaging the most tackles per game in our squad), but that his movement forwards leads him to be really exposed on the counter. I refute the argument that Chilwell can't though. Seen nothing this season to show that. Easily the best of the back line today, and for most games this season, too I think.

It’s exactly that he can’t defend. Most tackles because the opposition target him I should think

7 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Ricardo is a liability when he does get back, yeah fair enough chilwell has been the best of a bad bunch but he’s not a left back

3 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

Ricardo is a liability when he does get back, yeah fair enough chilwell has been the best of a bad bunch but he’s not a left back

I think Ricardo is light weight a bit, gets pushed through a bit easy for my liking, but it isn't like he gets dribbled past regularly, and in fairness today Ghezzal didn't really get back either. Was just a woeful defensivt performance in general I think.

He'd definitely be better with fewer defensive responsibilities though.

1 minute ago, Beechey said:

I think Ricardo is light weight a bit, gets pushed through a bit easy for my liking, but it isn't like he gets dribbled past regularly, and in fairness today Ghezzal didn't really get back either. Was just a woeful defensivt performance in general I think.

He'd definitely be better with fewer defensive responsibilities though.

So after a summer we still have a generous defence and a weak attack, only we look more pretty playing it around the middle?

We see probable improvements in one game only to see that thrown away the next?

Honestly, if it were not for teams like Cardiff and Newcastle I'd be seriously worried, as it is I am still concerned.

5 minutes ago, kyleolly said:

How can we have a right back with fewer defensive responsibilities lol look back at his interview when he first signed he was asked about his best attributes and he said something like running down the wing, getting forward and putting crosses in!

By altering his role to RWB? Not obvious? Would require a tweak in formation.

9 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

So after a summer we still have a generous defence and a weak attack, only we look more pretty playing it around the middle?

We see probable improvements in one game only to see that thrown away the next?

Honestly, if it were not for teams like Cardiff and Newcastle I'd be seriously worried, as it is I am still concerned.

I think we are a top winger short of having had a very good window. I also believe that we have a decent squad with good depth, that is more than capable of a solid top 10 finish and maybe a little more with the right system.

If Puel doesn't get it right, then I think the next manager will or at least enough to keep us well away from the drop. This squad is a talented bunch and we just need a formation and tactics that gets the most out of them. 

Clearly has a lot to offer as an attacking wing back but suspect as an RB in a back 4 - so why keep playing him as an RB in a back 4?

Simpson would have done a better job in yesterday's system and that's not a dig at Ricardo more a dig at Puel for continually playing him in a position where he is clearly not comfortable. It's an absolute gimme for bright managers like Eddie Howe who totally owned us yesterday.

Edited by Paddy.