Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beechey

Ricardo Pereira

2 hours ago, murphy said:

He IS playing as a wing back.

Chillwell and Ricardo play as wing backs in a back 4.  The cover does not have to come from a third centre half but from the 2 DMs in 4-2-3-1.  Think of the way Spurs play with Rose and Walker (Now Trippier) bombing forward.

I feel like I keep saying this almost on an hourly basis.  If anyone wants to criticise Puel, the defence, the formation or the performance at least understand the f--king basics.

http://www.soccerpilot.com/tactic/articles/introduction-to-the-4-2-3-1-formation,-soccer.html

If you have read any of my thoughts about the 4-2-3-1 formation on this forum you'd know full well that I believe we are modelling ourselves after Spurs in 2015-2017, when they played the same formation with wing backs. Off your high horse. Unfortunately for us, we don't control the game like they did, and we are especially vulnerable to counter attacking goals because our ball retention is nowhere near as effective. Did you just ignore the rest of my posts above that one, where I said the midfield and Ghezzal did not offer enough cover - or what? For the record, Spurs stopped playing a 4-2-3-1 primarily a while ago. They play a back 3 or a variation of 4-3-3 more often now.

And no, a 4-2-3-1 does not automatically mean wing backs. That's stupid to presume. It's a tactical decision by every manager. The deeper midfield 2 are not always defensive midfielders either.

If you're going to try and critique people's knowledge, at least understand their f--king thought.

Thanks though.

Edited by Beechey
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Beechey said:

If you have read any of my thoughts about the 4-2-3-1 formation on this forum you'd know full well that I believe we are modelling ourselves after Spurs in 2015-2017, when they played the same formation with wing backs. Off your high horse. Unfortunately for us, we don't control the game like they did, and we are especially vulnerable to counter attacking goals because our ball retention is nowhere near as effective. Did you just ignore the rest of my posts above that one, where I said the midfield and Ghezzal did not offer enough cover - or what? For the record, Spurs stopped playing a 4-2-3-1 primarily a while ago. They play a back 3 or a variation of 4-3-3 more often now.

And no, a 4-2-3-1 does not automatically mean wing backs. That's stupid to presume. It's a tactical decision by every manager. The deeper midfield 2 are not always defensive midfielders either.

If you're going to try and critique people's knowledge, at least understand their f--king thought.

Thanks though.

It's not high horse, it is exasperation.  Every time I read that we need to have three at the back in order to release Ricardo as a wing back it is like kryptonite to me because I've been trying to point out the difference for so long.  Puel has been here nearly a year and so many are ignorant of his system (not you then) and then there are three quotes on one page and that just tips me over the edge and the laptop goes bouncing off the walls. 

I am not saying that 4-2-3-1 means that you have to have wing backs, just that you don't have to have three centre halves to have wing backs.  Two different things.  And Spurs are probably the most high profile example.

FTR I would like to see a back three or five whichever way you want to look at it.  It won't happen under Puel though.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, murphy said:

He IS playing as a wing back.

Chillwell and Ricardo play as wing backs in a back 4.  The cover does not have to come from a third centre half but from the 2 DMs in 4-2-3-1.  Think of the way Spurs play with Rose and Walker (Now Trippier) bombing forward.

I feel like I keep saying this almost on an hourly basis.  If anyone wants to criticise Puel, the defence, the formation or the performance at least understand the f--king basics.

http://www.soccerpilot.com/tactic/articles/introduction-to-the-4-2-3-1-formation,-soccer.html

Honestly Rose and Walker are much better defensively than our pair.

• 2 weeks later...

Amartey and Richardo for me until Richardo is caught out of position less (and bulks up). Although we won't see him progress as a solid right back by playing him as a winger. Is there a promising right back in the academy Chilwell and Maddison could foster?

Edited by Foxxed

His positioning is worse than Sol Bamba's was and that is some effort.

Still tempted to play him ahead of Ghezzal though on the right wing.

Edited by MattP

12 minutes ago, Royston. said:

Put ricardo on the wing and bring back simpson:wub:

Homer Simpson :) hopefully puel improves Ricardo as much as he’s improved Chilwell and he can really kick start his career at lcfc next season. Can see him playing between full back and midfield this season. Amartey is a better full back option than Simpson imo. 

19 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

If Danny Simpson is the answer, you can forget about building any penetrative attacks.

....not saying that Simpson is the only answer but with Ricardo in-front of him it was the same set up with him playing with Mahrez. With Simpson not going forward he effectively made a back three when we pushed on.

I noticed a player in the under 23's called Louis Ramsey who looked very tidy going forward but is a RB. He appeared very composed put in some very early balls with pace which a lot of our wide players do not seem to understand.

I have not seen him play in the RB position but he looks tidy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lovejoy said:

Superb today.

Superb is a bit OTT. It was an improved performance from him yes (mainly because he had no defensive duties). Attacking wise he didn’t really have much of an influence on the game.

I’d still have him in the team over Ghezzal. Realistically though, whoever is at RW between Ghezzal/Pereira is a stop gap in my opinion. In January we need to sign another flair number 10 like Maddison who can drift in from the right or an actual decent right winger. 

15 hours ago, Lovejoy said:

Superb today.

Really? I thought he gave the ball away sloppily a few times BUT I do like how his pace gets us out of situations.

Not disagreeing with you entirely, and I do usually agree with your posts anyway, but I didn't think he was that good.

Does better as a winger than a right-back in this league.

I think he got away with all the praise in Ligue 1 because it's a slightly less physical league compared to the Premier League, defending there was easier in relative terms.

Too often this season, he's been outmuscled and caught out of position when playing as a right-back or right wing-back.

Him up front and Amartey behind him on the line works well.

Edited by MC Prussian

12 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Has the potential to be one of the best in his position in the league, if strengthens himself in battles and focuses on bettering his positioning area in certain situations.

Not been impressed so far myself, thought he was our poorest player at Newcastle on Saturday.

Don't want to write him off as it's far too early in his time here but he needs to improve considerably.