Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Beechey

Ricardo Pereira

47 minutes ago, shen said:

While I agree that he doesn't deserve the blame pinned on him for both goals, he does take a share for the first.

However, Morgan looked exposed and nearly cost us on two other separate occasions due to missplaced passes and it's unfortunate that he was on the end of our biggest chance at the other end. We've seen that situation several times during the last years, his struggles to sort out his feet.
Objectively, he wasn't terrible by any means, but you just sense that he is on the decline.

Yet it seems to be Morgan taking the brunt of it, with him actually being the least culpable. If it gets pinned on anyone, it's Ricardo. He doesn't muck up his challenge it gets stopped at source.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Osavo said:

This. Once Soyuncu is fit I'd like to see...

Schmeichel

Soyuncu Morgan Maguire

Pereira Mendy Ndidi Chilwell

Gray      Maddison

Vardy

With Maddison and Gray given license to roam behind Vardy. 

I don't think Gray is good enough to be given a license to roam.

If Gray plays then it'd be up with Vardy IMO.

If you wanted two 'roamers' then i'd much prefer Ghezzal or even Silva.

17 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I don't think Gray is good enough to be given a license to roam.

If Gray plays then it'd be up with Vardy IMO.

If you wanted two 'roamers' then i'd much prefer Ghezzal or even Silva.

Why don't you think Gray could play the free role behind the striker, out of interest? Gray is a fantastic dribbler and his passing has actually improved this season, and he has become far less selfish with the ball. I think that with his dribbling ability he could potentially draw defenders in, allowing Maddison more space to operate as a number 10.

Silva could never play that role imo. Firstly, he is slow and pretty lightweight, meaning defensive midfielders would push him off the ball, whilst his passing ability, going forwards especially, is not actually that good. I've rarely seen him play a genuinely penetrative pass which causes a back line problems, most of his passing is side to side. Ghezzal on the other hand could be a decent option there. 

6 minutes ago, Osavo said:

Why don't you think Gray could play the free role behind the striker, out of interest? Gray is a fantastic dribbler and his passing has actually improved this season, and he has become far less selfish with the ball. I think that with his dribbling ability he could potentially draw defenders in, allowing Maddison more space to operate as a number 10.

Silva could never play that role imo. Firstly, he is slow and pretty lightweight, meaning defensive midfielders would push him off the ball, whilst his passing ability, going forwards especially, is not actually that good. I've rarely seen him play a genuinely penetrative pass which causes a back line problems, most of his passing is side to side. Ghezzal on the other hand could be a decent option there. 

I think he's better when he faces up full backs or is on the last man of the defence.

He's a winger for me.

53 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Yet it seems to be Morgan taking the brunt of it, with him actually being the least culpable. If it gets pinned on anyone, it's Ricardo. He doesn't muck up his challenge it gets stopped at source.

same could be said if morgan wasn’t playing his own game of stuck in the mud, and had simply moved towards the ball that was rolling quite obviously towards his feet 

5 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

same could be said if morgan wasn’t playing his own game of stuck in the mud, and had simply moved towards the ball that was rolling quite obviously towards his feet 

It wasn't getting to him before Robertson got there in a million years, if he'd attempted to get there Roberton would only have had to tap the ball past him and he's through and clear into the box. Even if he'd got closer, he'd have still had the angle to make exactly the same pass, as Wes would always position himself to force a left footer onto his right, so he'd be more towards the goal side. Forcing the player to cut back to the edge of the box was the least risky thing to do. If Maguire hadn't fluffed the clearance there would be no issue.

Edited by Babylon

24 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I think he's better when he faces up full backs or is on the last man of the defence.

He's a winger for me.

I would say there's nothing preventing him facing up full-backs whilst playing a roaming role. Just because he would be behind Vardy, doesn't stop him drifting wide and isolating full backs. I get your point though, however I wouldn't want Gray out of the team at the minute, think with game time and confidence he could be a real threat going forwards for us this season. 

6 hours ago, Babylon said:

I can't quite believe what I'd reading in this thread about Morgan being at fault for both goals, what an absolute pile of shit and just goes to show and people are absolutely desperate to pin everything on him. The second one isn't even a debate, it wasn't his man who scored. He challenged his player. Maddison simply shouldn't have been marking their striker with us having Maguire stood around actually marking nobody.

The first one, there are two people far more at fault, Ricardo for just getting knocked over and letting his man Waltz past him, Maguire for not picking up the man in the box when he's stood staring at him. I'm not sure what exactly people expected Wes to do, he was never going to get to that ball, he could have gone a bit tighter, but he'd have opened himself up for the much faster player to just knock it past him.

Agree totally re the 2nd goal, Morgan not to blame at all.  For the first goal Riccardo was bowled over to easily by Robertson and should rightly take the majority of the blame.  He will hopefully learn from it and improve like Chilwell has (who physically has stood up brilliantly so far this season in 50/50 challengers).

My initial reaction to Morgan being partly to blame was that he was caught on his heels the moment Robertson got past Riccardo.  A quicker thinking and more mobile defender would have closed him down and may well have prevented him from crossing.  Wes just reacted too slowly to what was happening in front of him.

I am not in the get Wes out camp at all.  At the start of last season he played well and so far this season he has been ok, but clearly has to be at his best every game to keep up to speed with the premier league.  I hope he is phased out gracefully and replaced by the new chap from Turkey (Soyanchu) but a big ask for him as he'll need to hit the ground running.

As much as I like the idea of 3 at the back with Riccardo and Chilwell as flying wingers I also think shoe horning Gray, Maddison, Vardy and AN Other (Ghezzal, Albrighton) provides us with more attacking players for the final 3rd of the pitch.

7 hours ago, Babylon said:

Agreed. Disappointing neither of the other three defenders could prevent the damage though.

6 hours ago, hackneyfox said:

Aren't Ricardo and Chilwell wing backs?

Certainly not proper full backs in the Simpson mold.

Ricardo and Chilwell are full backs or right / left backs (whichever you prefer). If anything, Simpson is the minority and  certainly  not a proper full back. Pretty much all full backs now contribute something going forward for their team. Simpson kinda just stands next to Wes and shys away from responsibility with the ball. This has hindered us massively over the last 2 seasons.

Edited by OhYesNdidi

• 2 weeks later...

Not a defender by any stretch of the imagination, absolute car crash at right-back. Sick of even discussing the 3-5-2 switch, but surely its a better option as he's completely out of his depth currently & we can't play Morgan and Maguire together as a two. Stick Soyuncu in who has a bit of a pace to cover because whether its Morgan or Evans they simply aren't quick enough (neither is Maguire).