Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Rachid Ghezzal signs.

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

Maybe they should have bought any old donkey, after all it's only £20m and they're billionaires. 

seriously mate are you ok?? I honestly don't think LCFC is for you maybe take a break and come back to the real world after the weekend?

2 minutes ago, sm1 said:

If we wanted to take a punt on a player,  we should've signed shaqiri for 3.5M more.

Why on earth would Shaqiri have chosen us over Liverpool?

I do agree that there are many other realistic punts I would have taken, over this Rachid dude

3 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

It’s mind boggling, the lad clearly has some ability.

Foolishly, I thought the club had had enough time to plan for Mahrez' departure and to have some contingency in place.  If you were told that we would replace Mahrez with a 'lad that has some ability' would you be pleased with that?  Diabate and Gray have some ability, is Ghazzai any better?  I doubt it but he is potentially an obstacle to their development.

Perhaps he is not the replacement and we'll bring in Hazard or Promes aswell, in which case the signing still makes no sense as we will have 5 wingers in a bloated 30+ man squad when we should be trimming it and reducing the wage bill, not to mention the inflated transfer fee.

£10-£12m down and the glaring fact is that the team is still just as weakened in that position as it was when Mahrez left.

He's 26, not a young prospect, I just fail to see any logic in this signing whatsoever.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Why on earth would Shaqiri have chosen us over Liverpool?

I do agree that there are many other realistic punts I would have taken, over this Rachid dude

He only signed for Liverpool a few weeks ago, even though once Stoke were relegated, it was obvious he'd be off. Not sure if Liverpool had an agreement with Shaqiri pre World Cup, but if not, we had ample time to activate his release clause like we did with Evans.

17 minutes ago, murphy said:

Foolishly, I thought the club had had enough time to plan for Mahrez' departure and to have some contingency in place.  If you were told that we would replace Mahrez with a 'lad that has some ability' would you be pleased with that?  Diabate and Gray have some ability, is Ghazzai any better?  I doubt it but he is potentially an obstacle to their development.

Perhaps he is not the replacement and we'll bring in Hazard or Promes aswell, in which case the signing still makes no sense as we will have 5 wingers in a bloated 30+ man squad when we should be trimming it and reducing the wage bill, not to mention the inflated transfer fee.

£10-£12m down and the glaring fact is that the team is still just as weakened in that position as it was when Mahrez left.

He's 26, not a young prospect, I just fail to see any logic in this signing whatsoever.

This dawned on me today too. I was very hopeful that he was just a squad filler, even though i don't agree with having them, but it just makes no sense at all to sign him AND another winger now. I hope I'm wrong, but I do have this horrible feeling that Rachid is the only winger coming in this window. Huge mistake if true. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

This dawned on me today too. I was very hopeful that he was just a squad filler, even though i don't agree with having them, but it just makes no sense at all to sign him AND another winger now. I hope I'm wrong, but I do have this horrible feeling that Rachid is the only winger coming in this window. Huge mistake if true. 

We were playing Musa as a winger. Rachid may be the filler and we get another. (Or Rachid is decent and most here are wrong. I can but hope at this point.)

59 minutes ago, sm1 said:

He only signed for Liverpool a few weeks ago, even though once Stoke were relegated, it was obvious he'd be off. Not sure if Liverpool had an agreement with Shaqiri pre World Cup, but if not, we had ample time to activate his release clause like we did with Evans.

Or maybe, just maybe, the bloke never wanted to come here? I mean, seriously, Leicester or Liverpool? Tough choice.

I don't hold out much hope with Rachid. I don't think anyone else was interested save Puel who knows him and he's going to be another filler for the quad. Yet another risky signing with someone with no English or Premiership experience. Having said that I think we've made 3-4 decent signings, the Liverpool 3rd choice keeper, Evans, Perriera and Maddison. The latter three all first team material.   

2 minutes ago, oxtonfox said:

I don't hold out much hope with Rachid. I don't think anyone else was interested save Puel who knows him and he's going to be another filler for the quad. Yet another risky signing with someone with no English or Premiership experience. Having said that I think we've made 3-4 decent signings, the Liverpool 3rd choice keeper, Evans, Perriera and Maddison. The latter three all first team material.   

I'm pretty sure he wasn't bought for this.

17 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Maybe some of our fans have got a bit carried away and think we are actually bigger and better then we are .

Yes we won the league but to consider us a big club who attracts big players mean we need to be winning things on a consistent basis.

We are a work in progress but not as good as some here think.

Delusions of grandeur?

Good luck to the lad. Give him a chance.

This is a player who is no better than we've currently got, we've done this every window for the last few - stock piling more crap we need to get rid of, who eat into the wage bill.

Work in progress? The sagrada familia will be finished before this squad is if we keep going on at this rate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Abrasive fox said:

This is a player who is no better than we've currently got, we've done this every window for the last few - stock piling more crap we need to get rid of, who eat into the wage bill.

Work in progress? The sagrada familia will be finished before this squad is if we keep going on at this rate.

I think there are probably over 80 league clubs who would love to have our squad.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Alex007 said:

Leonardo Jardim believed he could change Ghezzal into a decent football player...

And I think Puel has the same idea... 

Jardim never gave him a chance and Puel knows him since he was 17 when he was Lyon manager between 2008/12. Ghezzal could have been a smashing player with Lyon but his elder brother Kader got involved and messed up his relashionship with the club by asking unreasonably high wages. There are enough videos of JM Aulas imploring him to sign a 5 years contract until he signed for Monaco... 

Edited by Blue Collar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HarryDee8 said:

We should have gone bought big, a proper tried and tested prem league player who can dribble and pass. I would have had a punt at martial. puel would get the best out of him.  We cant just buy good team players. Need a star name in there

Martial lol

Okay mate.

• Haha 1

The amount of incorrect attempts at spelling his surname on here is ridiculously funny. Can't be bothered to hunt through the thread and see if I've misspelled it too but I probably have.

I think I'm going to love this bloke one way or another. I genuinely hope his wife/girlfriend prints this thread out and pins it to their living room wall. That's all the motivation he should need.

1 minute ago, Max Wall said:

The amount of incorrect attempts at spelling his surname on here is ridiculously funny. Can't be bothered to hunt through the thread and see if I've misspelled it too but I probably have.

I think I'm going to love this bloke one way or another. I genuinely hope his wife/girlfriend prints this thread out and pins it to their living room wall. That's all the motivation he should need.

But if  he needed more motivation he could print out what the Monaco fans think of him too.  

Could we all be wrong?

I hope so.

Monaco are used to wide men like Thomas Lemar, Martial, Mbappe etc so of course this guy is deemed terrible by their standards. They are a Champions League club..This is not me saying he is great but he could be somewhat useful for us. 

Edited by Koke
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, norwichfox said:

And we're all hoping Puel is a certain Manager.....

I know exactly what you mean. 

There is a big assumption here that Puel is ‘a certain manager’ who will always get the best out of ‘certain players’

It’ll be interesting to put this to the test.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sm1 said:

If we wanted to take a punt on a player,  we should've signed shaqiri for 3.5M more.

Shaquiri isn’t a punt really. You know exactly what you’ll get. Motivated and played in the right way, you’ll get quality.

I think Liverpool have stolen him from Stoke.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, murphy said:

But if  he needed more motivation he could print out what the Monaco fans think of him too.  

Could we all be wrong?

I hope so.

I know.

I think after being a little disappointed yesterday (more with what seemed like an increased fee than anything else), I'm just looking to be positive about it now. I actually wasn't that vocal about the player from memory, just our alleged negotiating tactics.

Anyway, he's here, he's ours and 99% of us want it to work out for him and the club.

I don't suppose there's any point going over any misgivings again, this thread is all the reminder any of us need.

I've seen your opinions on here and generally they align with mine, this occasion is not really different tbh.

Although some of the posts on this thread yesterday made me laugh, I did get to the point of feeling really sorry for Ghezzal last night. So often players performances are connected to confidence and, he'd have to be made of steel if he read this thread and didn't feel affected by his new clubs fans opinions of him. If it turns out to be a mistake, it's the clubs not his.

We all hope the less than flattering comments we've heard won't apply here and ours is the club for him and his career.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Shaquiri isn’t a punt really. You know exactly what you’ll get. Motivated and played in the right way, you’ll get quality.

I think Liverpool have stolen him from Stoke.

I'd agree he isn't a punt at that fee. I know he played for Stoke, but, at this juncture, I really didn't think he would ever come to us once Liverpool came in for him.

A couple of weeks ago, I was of the opinion that I'd prefer someone else. I'd take him in a heartbeat now. All that tells me is that I'm a little disappointed with our transfer exploits since Maddison, Evans and Pereira were confirmed.

Shame really, as the early arrivals gave a lot of us what appears to be a false expectation of a few more coming in that would improve the starting 11..

It's also a shame that the (majority?) of fans will start the season feeling a little deflated. That should never be the case.

• Like 1