Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Rachid Ghezzal signs.

22 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Shame to see that we can no longer pull that rabbit out of the hat.

We stopped being able to do that the moment the big TV deal kicked in, and even more the moment the world saw us just receive 60m for Riyad, a key player we need to replace

Every premier league club going into the transfer market runs like this these days:

• Like 2

My worry is that as an Algerian winger arriving in the same window that Riyad left, anything he does will be held up in comparison.

You can be a lot worse than Riyad and still be a very good player, but our fans will 100% be on his back from day one.

"Norras gurras Riyad tho worr'e", they'll be saying as he is subbed off 58 minutes into his full debut.

Edited by Nod.E

I could understand the negativity if we’d signed another Mendy style holding player but we’ve signed a lad who likes a trick, tries to do stuff out of the ordinary. If it doesn’t work then so be it but I’m always happy when we buy someone who can potentially do something special. He worked well under Puel before and there’s every chance he could do it again. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I actually like the Algerians, they're all a bit crazy.

I like the Saudis as well giving us shit on facebook when they signed Musa and their GIF's were quite funny as well. lol

Just wait until Leicester gets an Egyptian player...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Maybe some of our fans have got a bit carried away and think we are actually bigger and better then we are .

Yes we won the league but to consider us a big club who attracts big players mean we need to be winning things on a consistent basis.

We are a work in progress but not as good as some here think.

Delusions of grandeur?

Good luck to the lad. Give him a chance.

When Brighton sign Jahanbakhsh, Southampton buy Elyounoussi and given the fact we've sold Mahrez for £60m you'd think there would be some sort of notable signing, given we are a Premier League club aiming for Europe assumptively.

We have to hope someone steps up massively to get us going this season or it'll be the same as last season minus Mahrez. Fully in support of the new lad, I'm not sharpening my claws and waiting for the next game thread to pounce, just disappointed given the loss of Mahrez & our apparent ambitions.

Edited by SpazticChicken

Struggling to see any logic in this.  We seem to have bought Monaco's mistake and handed them a huge profit, they must be laughing.  That is half the Mahrez money gone on Liverpool's 4th choice keeper and a Ligue 1 flop.

Signing a player of this apparent quality seems to me to be a slap in the face to Gray and Diabate.   I wonder how they will react.

He's here now, so I will support him but I think it is yet another one in the mistake column.  I hope I'm wrong and I will hold my hands up if that is the case but to all those saying 'Don't write him off before he has kicked a ball' I say then what is the point of this forum?  I am not writing him off, it is a criticism of our transfer policy and it's quite legitimate to question that.  Surely everyone has an opinion on every player we sign?  It would be odd not to.  I was excited with the additions of Ricardo and especially Maddison, pleased with Evans and hopeful for Mepham but we overpaid for Ward and I just can't get my head around this one.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 2

He actually has a play style  that is similar to that Mahrez 

I'm sure that's the main reason why Puel targeted him. If he revived Mahrez last season, I think he can do the same for Ghezzal.

I'm actually starting to get excited despite having had some doubts at first

This post might be more at home in the 'Unpopular opinions you hold' thread, but I'm actually quite pleased with the transfer business we've done so far.

Good defensive upgrade in Evans

Pacy, skilful full-back in Pereira

Backup keeper with potential in Ward, who is arguably better than Hamer and Jakupovic

One of England's most promising young creative players in Maddison

An enigma of a winger in Ghezzal who may just need a fresh start under an understanding, astute, techically-orientated manager in Puel

£60m in for a player who hasn't wanted to be here for the last 12-24 months

Musa off the wage bill with only a smallish loss on the amount we paid for him

Some promising youngsters getting game time out on loan (e.g. Barnes, Iversen, Thomas, Moore)

Some more promising youngsters signed for the U23s

Maguire, Kasper and Vardy are still here

It's not a perfect transfer window by any stretch. We still have a lot of deadwood. We need more players capable of playing Puelball. Ghezzal was probably way down the priority list of wingers we wanted. But it's not the worst window we've had either. There are genuine reasons for optimism going into the season.

Sure, things look a bit disjointed going into the Man Utd game, but the World Cup and injuries have screwed us a bit. When all players are fit and we have a settled side, we've got a squad capable of playing good football and winning plenty of games in this league.

Also, foreign transfer windows and the EFL loan window stay open after Thursday so we're still able to farm out some of the deadwood until the end of the month. Things could (hopefully) look a bit rosier by September 1st.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Itsthejoeker said:

Some of you really come across like spoilt *****. 

The lads not kicked a football for us for us yet and you’re already willing him to be shit, support the team or **** off. 

Over the top mate. We can all have opinions and agree/disagree on players/tactics etc but it doesnt mean  we dont love the club.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Shamomoa said:

you know after all these awful videos he's going to turn out amazing right? i have confidence even if no-one else does ??

Hey for those of us that are on the fence or dislike it or hate it lets hope that happens.

Edited by Jattdogg
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

I could understand the negativity if we’d signed another Mendy style holding player but we’ve signed a lad who likes a trick, tries to do stuff out of the ordinary. If it doesn’t work then so be it but I’m always happy when we buy someone who can potentially do something special. He worked well under Puel before and there’s every chance he could do it again. 

No, that's not good enough.

We can't afford to spend £14m and shrug our shoulders if he doesn't make it.  That kind of attitude will catch up with us in the end.

We have lost our best player and we should be leaving no stone unturned trying to get the best possible and most proven replacement that we can possibly find.  We don't need squad players in this position.  Gambling on this guy is not the answer.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 3