Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Rachid Ghezzal signs.

Let's give the guy a chance, he hasn't kicked a ball for us yet. Welcome to the club Rachid!

I think that Puel intended to not replace Mahrez and give Diabate his spot this season. However, in all of the preseason games Diabate has been disappointing and has made countless poor decisions. So although Puel likes Diabate, he knows he can't trust him as a first team regular in the short term future. That's why we've moved late for a decent but not incredible player. I think the idea is that Ghezaal starts to begin, then he and Diabate compete for a spot and eventually Diabate takes over next season or the season after. Ghezzal has been brought up through good French academies at Lyon and Monaco and knows the system that Puel wants us to play. Look at Lille at the weekend, though we beat them, all of their players tried to play good one and two touch football and their forwards looked sharp. This player has those attributes already so can be "trusted" to not keep kicking the ball to the wrong player or shooting at the wrong time. That would be the idea anyway, even though both the Monaco and Lyon fans say his decision making isn't the best.

In an ideal world I was hoping we'd get someone more inspiring as a replacement, but perhaps Ghezaal is not a replacement, but more another option. Having another player of Albrighton's calibre wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Finally, just remember that in the past we've made such "uninspiring" signings such as Robert Huth, Marc Albrighton, N'golo Kante and Jamie Vardy. And some of those players have turned out to be alright :)

• Like 1

With regards Ghezzal, as I’ve said before, if we announced the signings of Maddison and Ghezzal the day before we let Mahrez go to Man City, I think we’d all feel a lot happier than we do now, and we have the same outcome. I guess it’s just a state of mind. ?

I’m quite happy with Ghezzal coming here. I’m not buying into the direct replacement for RM shizzle. We’re replacing Mahrez with more creative options.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I can accept a punt on a young player, low cost low wages like Diabate. For what we've paid this is ridiculous, he's done absolutely nothing to warrant that price really and neither has the keeper we signed.  £20m+ on two players that won't improve the team one bit and with the keeper you could argue wasn't even needed. Insanity, that money could have been spent on a player with a chance of actually getting into the team.

It feels to me that Puel's making 'low-risk', inexpensive signings, in areas that need strengthening.  Hence I give him the benefit of the doubt that he's being quite cautious but hopefully this approach will pay off as the season progresses.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

I can accept a punt on a young player, low cost low wages like Diabate. For what we've paid this is ridiculous, he's done absolutely nothing to warrant that price really and neither has the keeper we signed.  £20m+ on two players that won't improve the team one bit and with the keeper you could argue wasn't even needed. Insanity, that money could have been spent on a player with a chance of actually getting into the team.

This. Repeatedly. I'm not sure how our recruitment policy has gone so ridiculous so quickly.

Just now, Wymeswold fox said:

It feels to me that Puel's making 'low-risk', inexpensive signings, in areas that need strengthening.  Hence I give him the benefit of the doubt that he's being quite cautious that hopefully will pay off as the season progresses.

Those two signings aren't inexpensive at all though. They'll probably cost the best part of £40m over the length of their contracts.