Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Match of the Day 2018/19

yeh nothing more cringeworthy than watching 10 mins of highlights of a fairly even game, then 9 mins of analysis on the big 6 side before lineker goes “and a quick word for watford, they look ok don’t they” “yes gary” “next game is...” 

barely acknowledging there was even two teams playing. 

• Like 3

MOTD post match analysis was cringe.  Having been at the match, watched Sky match analysis & even MOTD highlights/commentary which showed/stated LFC were not in "cruise control" for the majority of the match, Shearer's/Keown's comments were pathetic.  Keown stating how Gomez was unflappable as he passed to VvD who back passed hurriedly to Alisson to make his mistake - even Klopp mentioned in Sky interview that Gomez should have cleared the ball first.  I appreciate we watch with blue tinted glasses & Lineker's blue bias is usually in full flow but to have this match on first & then not to analyse/discuss LCFC's contribution/play + the fact LFC had to grind out a win in second half was a joke/missed opportunity for neutrals watching.

I expected a full LFC love in on Sky match coverage with a team of Redknapp, Heskey, Carragher, Coates but at least they recognised there were 2 teams playing, were very complimentary of the Foxes play & Liverpool were lucky to go away with all 3 points.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

yeh nothing more cringeworthy than watching 10 mins of highlights of a fairly even game, then 9 mins of analysis on the big 6 side before lineker goes “and a quick word for watford, they look ok don’t they” “yes gary” “next game is...” 

barely acknowledging there was even two teams playing. 

Agreed, I am still waiting on the analysis of certain City performances :(

Then again, I can live with it. Was at the game and many comments from Liverpool fans who felt they 'got away with it' in the end.

Never like to see us lose but I have an optimism about the way Puel is going about his job

11 hours ago, NZ_Foxile said:

During the Brighton v Fulham game, the commentator said that Brighton haven’t lost a home league match since January. Sure I was there watching Leicester win at Brighton in March ^_^ :dunno:

Really? did that game go on for a full 90 mins then? :D

1 hour ago, Livid said:

I’ve totally given up on the Sunday Supplement. 

Every week pre broadcast they post the topics of discussion on Twitter. 1 to 4 are always the top 6. Five will be the current club in crisis West Ham etc. 

If anybody wants to watch 16 minutes of Liverpool coverage on SS, here it is lol

4 hours ago, Koke said:

Unfortunately that's the way it is. If you listen to Sunday Supplemented today they will also have a 1 sided coverage. 

As a side note, Liverpool do get a disproportionate amount of coverage. Chelsea also won 4 out of 4 but they don't get half the hype Liverpool do  

That's simple...and if one considers why...A new top team high potential of upsetting Mcitys applecart to Nick in for their 1st title for sometime...

Although..even more suprising Chelsea are looking again the part,with a scruffy italian.The hype for Chelsea will come,London media

would still love the Spurs dream...but the Chelsea media supporters will come forward,when they carry on with this great start..

I prefer it,when Watford,Leicester, a.n.other,come through on the blindside,and complete a top 6 ,maybe steal a 4th spot...

1 minute ago, Beechey said:

I had to turn it off after our game. Couldn't believe they focused entirely on an ordinary looking (yet victorious) Liverpool side and didn't really mention a single thing about Leicester.

Awful.

I don't think Liverpool were "ordinary looking". The movement and link play is a joy to watch - even on an off day and prior to his mistake, Allison demonstrated remarkable footwork, distribution and ability to read the game particularly in his save from Maddison's shot. However, I do think greater appreciation could have been shown in respect of City's second half performance, their ability to break up play and similarly, the attacking potential of our play. 

What I can find frustrating about MOTD is the subjectivity and sometimes the oversight. I recall a game against West Ham in 2016 in which Nordtveit committed a horrific chest high tackle on Chilwell right in front of where I was sat and in plain view of the camera. It was omitted from the highlights and consequently the subsequent discussion. I also wish that they would name and shame blatant play acting and faked injury - look no further than Keita in the dying seconds yesterday. 

Bizarrely they also didn't comment on Wan Bissaka's intentional handball other than the fact he conceded a penalty. It should have been an immediate straight red for deliberately handling a direct shot on goal that was going in. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I don't think Liverpool were "ordinary looking". The movement and link play is a joy to watch - even on an off day and prior to his mistake, Allison demonstrated remarkable footwork, distribution and ability to read the game particularly in his save from Maddison's shot. However, I do think greater appreciation could have been shown in respect of City's second half performance, their ability to break up play and similarly, the attacking potential of our play. 

What I can find frustrating about MOTD is the subjectivity and sometimes the oversight. I recall a game against West Ham in 2016 in which Nordtveit committed a horrific chest high tackle on Chilwell right in front of where I was sat and in plain view of the camera. It was omitted from the highlights and consequently the subsequent discussion. I also wish that they would name and shame blatant play acting and faked injury - look no further than Keita in the dying seconds yesterday. 

Bizarrely they also didn't comment on Wan Bissaka's intentional handball other than the fact he conceded a penalty. It should have been an immediate straight red for deliberately handling a direct shot on goal that was going in. 

I agree, I don't understand why the programme isn't 30/45 minutes longer, on earlier so to allow for in depth discussion on the days football. It always seems so rushed and Lineker is paid an absolute fortune so it must be a flagship programme for the BBC.

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

I think their front 3 were good, but it more or less ends there, except for Gomez who was excellent. Their midfield almost all game looked utterly abysmal (Henderson being the main culprit of bad passes). Keita coming on fixed a lot of the issues they were having though.

They weren't at their best.

8 minutes ago, Beechey said:

I think their front 3 were good, but it more or less ends there, except for Gomez who was excellent. Their midfield almost all game looked utterly abysmal (Henderson being the main culprit of bad passes). Keita coming on fixed a lot of the issues they were having though.

They weren't at their best.

Van Dijk didn't have a bad game at all and Robertson played very well. I was impressed by Milner again and as I said barring the dreadful overconfidence, Allison looked class and will be one of the signings of the season.

No they weren't at their best and neither were they against Brighton. Saying that, as we well know, three points and winning a title isn't always necessarily pretty. They got another win from a mediocre performance in the second half which is what counts. It's between Liverpool and Man City imo. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Line-X said:

Van Dijk didn't have a bad game at all and Robertson played very well. I was impressed by Milner again and as I said barring the dreadful overconfidence, Allison looked class and will be one of the signings of the season.

No they weren't at their best and neither were they against Brighton. Saying that, as we well know, three points and winning a title isn't always necessarily pretty. They got another win from a mediocre performance in the second half which is what counts. It's between Liverpool and Man City imo. 

I thought Van Dijk was solid but Gray wasn't exactly testing him. His distribution was a bit off and to me Maguire looked the far better CB on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Livid said:

I thought Van Dijk was solid but Gray wasn't exactly testing him. His distribution was a bit off and to me Maguire looked the far better CB on the pitch.

Thought Van Dijk played well and Maguire quite poor at times? Morgan looked nearly pacey next to Maguire this week who needed his outstretched arms to try and block the opposition when he got caught out cuz there was no chance he was going to catch anyone. I understand  (haven't personally seen the Man City documentary, just been told), that Guadiola in his briefing to his team sites Maguire as one of the slowest defenders in the division? Thought in comparison Van Dijk looked very athletic and slick. 

42 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Thought Van Dijk played well and Maguire quite poor at times? Morgan looked nearly pacey next to Maguire this week who needed his outstretched arms to try and block the opposition when he got caught out cuz there was no chance he was going to catch anyone. I understand  (haven't personally seen the Man City documentary, just been told), that Guadiola in his briefing to his team sites Maguire as one of the slowest defenders in the division? Thought in comparison Van Dijk looked very athletic and slick. 

agreed, thought van dijk looked comfortably the best player on the pitch. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, splinterdream said:

I agree, I don't understand why the programme isn't 30/45 minutes longer, on earlier so to allow for in depth discussion on the days football. It always seems so rushed and Lineker is paid an absolute fortune so it must be a flagship programme for the BBC.

when there’s a decent amount of saturday games it’s already on for more than 90 minutes, nobody could be bothered to watch it if it lasted much longer. most people have sky sports or go the boozer to watch two of the games anyway, you’d end up spending about an hour sat watching games you’ve already watched just to get some melon like martin keown’s opinion on them as well. 

7 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

Bardsley really is a Grade A nobber isn't he?

Yes. So is Ashley Barnes. Burnley have a number of detestable players. I guess Sean Dyche builds his team in his own image.

Like others I am fed up of coverage of the 'big' six - relentless and boring.

I think there is a market for a TV+Radio programme called "The Other Fourteen" in which the 'big' six are not discussed. Should get a few viewers. Even so a 60 minute programme would only give about 4 minutes per team.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Biggus said:

Like others I am fed up of coverage of the 'big' six - relentless and boring.

I think there is a market for a TV+Radio programme called "The Other Fourteen" in which the 'big' six are not discussed. Should get a few viewers. Even so a 60 minute programme would only give about 4 minutes per team.

I actually think there is a market for that.

Problem is it's not only top 6 fans who tune into top 6 talk. It's also casual fans and lower league fans, on top of that the huge fan bases the top 6 clubs have.

Someone should create a weekly podcast called "The Other Fourteen" where the top 6 are not mentioned in great depths. Im sure it would be quite popular.

Edited by Koke

9 minutes ago, Koke said:

I actually think there is a market for that.

Problem is it's not only top 6 fans who tune into top 6 talk. It's also casual fans and lower league fans, on top of that the huge fan bases the top 6 clubs have.

Someone should create a weekly podcast called "The Other Fourteen" where the top 6 are not mentioned in great depths. Im sure it would be quite popular.

Agreed but the only problem would be that the chat on that show or podcast would mostly likely centre on West Ham or Newcastle. 

• Like 1