Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

35 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

I know it's utter bollocks week in week out, but can the Beeb seriously not find someone who actually watches the games to do this feature? 

Lawro has us down to lose 2-0 at the weekend, which is a more than fair guess. However his reasoning was a little confusing:-

"Manchester United exposed Manchester City's defensive flaws with their fast counter-attacks that helped them win the derby at the start of December.

Can Leicester do the same? Well, United had Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and Daniel James running at City - with the Foxes, it is really just Jamie Vardy who does that."

I read this earlier and just laughed! Lawro  doesn’t have the football knowledge to class him as a professional pundit - the whole protection league done by the Beeb might as well be done by a 12 year old  

edit: sorry o have probably insult many 12 year olds 

Edited by srbfox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Yes said:

It was outside the top flight but Wolves once averaged 4-5k for a couple years in the 80s. Honestly if you look at the numbers most clubs were struggling in terms of support, including some that you mentioned.

Yes the 80s were dark years for Wolves. All the way down to the 4th division and back up again. Attendances were obviously affected. 

5 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Watford, Norwich, QPR, Ipswich were all enjoying the best periods of their history.

Forest were too, but averaged a diabolical 18000. Clough regularly used to slag off thier European midweek crowds.

We were in a dreadful state. Skint, dreadful stadium, dull Gordon Milne football (he was actually very good but about as popular as Puel) and the ongoing threat of violence. 11,000 in Div 1 and 8,000 in Div2 was the norm. An entire generation was lost. Only 4 or 5 kids IN MY WHOLE SCHOOL YEAR followed City

Those halcyon day’s of football in the 1980’s, they’re difficult to describe to the modern football fan, I definitely have rose tinted glasses on when I think back to that time, top flight football under Milne played before 13000 people, but I enjoyed it as a kid growing up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Guiza said:

I know it's utter bollocks week in week out, but can the Beeb seriously not find someone who actually watches the games to do this feature? 

Lawro has us down to lose 2-0 at the weekend, which is a more than fair guess. However his reasoning was a little confusing:-

"Manchester United exposed Manchester City's defensive flaws with their fast counter-attacks that helped them win the derby at the start of December.

Can Leicester do the same? Well, United had Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and Daniel James running at City - with the Foxes, it is really just Jamie Vardy who does that."

The bloke just phones it in. 

Waste of money as a pundit.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Yes said:

I wasn’t around then so obviously can’t fully judge but just looking at the numbers for Leeds that wasn’t the case either, they once averaged 13k in div 2 and no more than 17k for a year throughout that period. 

Don’t get me wrong they’re all higher than us at the time for the most part but it just seems like most clubs had the same issues with attendance in the 80s especially when they dropped into div 2.

Take away the 85/86 season and Leeds averaged pretty much around the 19000 mark.Ive checked their history.That and the season before were during the miners strike after all.

Im not disputing that crowds were down in the eighties.There are obvious social and economic reasons for that.Just that Leicester’s support wasn’t great,and fans of a certain age who follow your Man City’s etc won’t let us forget it.Really dosern’t bother me

1 hour ago, Heathrow fox said:

Even so 4/5000 in division 4 was unheard of in that period.

No, it wasn't.

Average attendances in the 4th Division (1980-89) ...

1979-80
 Portsmouth  15800
 Huddersfield Town  8700
 Wigan Athletic  5900
 Bradford City  5700
 Walsall  5500
 Newport County  5100

1980-81
 Southend Utd  6100
 Doncaster Rovers  5400
 Lincoln City  4700

1981-82
 Sheffield Utd  14900
 Bournemouth  5900
 Wigan Athletic  5800

1982-83
 Hull City  6900
 Port Vale  4800
 Bristol City  4700

1983-84
 Bristol City  7300
 York City  5000
 Reading  4500

1984-85
 Blackpool  4900

1985-86
 Swindon Town  6500

1986-87
 Preston North End  8100
 Northampton Town  6300
 Wolverhampton Wanderers  5800
 Swansea City  5200

1987-88
 Wolverhampton Wanderers  10000
 Burnley  6300
 Swansea City  4500

1988-89
 Burnley  7100
 Scunthorpe Utd  4500

1 hour ago, worth_the_wait said:

No, it wasn't.

Average attendances in the 4th Division (1980-89) ...

1979-80
 Portsmouth  15800
 Huddersfield Town  8700
 Wigan Athletic  5900
 Bradford City  5700
 Walsall  5500
 Newport County  5100

1980-81
 Southend Utd  6100
 Doncaster Rovers  5400
 Lincoln City  4700

1981-82
 Sheffield Utd  14900
 Bournemouth  5900
 Wigan Athletic  5800

1982-83
 Hull City  6900
 Port Vale  4800
 Bristol City  4700

1983-84
 Bristol City  7300
 York City  5000
 Reading  4500

1984-85
 Blackpool  4900

1985-86
 Swindon Town  6500

1986-87
 Preston North End  8100
 Northampton Town  6300
 Wolverhampton Wanderers  5800
 Swansea City  5200

1987-88
 Wolverhampton Wanderers  10000
 Burnley  6300
 Swansea City  4500

1988-89
 Burnley  7100
 Scunthorpe Utd  4500

Whoops my mistake.I always seemed to remember crowds of one man and his dog.Thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Take away the 85/86 season and Leeds averaged pretty much around the 19000 mark.Ive checked their history.That and the season before were during the miners strike after all.

Im not disputing that crowds were down in the eighties.There are obvious social and economic reasons for that.Just that Leicester’s support wasn’t great,and fans of a certain age who follow your Man City’s etc won’t let us forget it.Really dosern’t bother me

Embarrassed as I am.to say it but the early to mid 80s we suffered from the tigers effect. 

Crowd trouble and poor on field performance versus,. literally over the road, boozy good natured atmosphere (at that time, anyway) and weekly wins. 

Tigers had 500-3000 in the early 70s. 10 years later they were on 13000 a week. That must've hit our crowds

• Like 1

On 19/12/2019 at 19:39, davieG said:

Man City fan.

Eds: Can't stand Leicester as a club, I still remember how small time they were in the 70's, 80's and 90's with pitifully low crowds and s**t away support. They stabbed Ranieri in the back and they have somehow managed to avoid proper FFP despite overspending their way out of the championship. Their title win is still tainted in my eyes as well, I want to smash them by at least four clear goals.

Could there ever be a more Pot calling the kettle black than this quote?

This Man City fan seems to have some anger issues to me?

I don't remember Man City being particularly "big time" during this period, 4 relegations, 1 season in Div 3.

Oh yeah, didn't we win 2 trophies between 1971 and 2000, didn't they win 1??

I like to read a good football book, maybe he should,:

Richer Than God: Manchester City, Modern Football and Growing Up - "Collapse when it came at the end of the 1970's was self-inflicted, and then the decades passed, mostly in the gloom and several shades of cock-up..........City, of all clubs, are now, suddenly, the club with the richest owner".  Oh yeah there is also a chapter called Abu Dhabi United!!

Ditto Billionaires Club - James Montague

Talking of FPP:

Aston Villa, Birmingham C, Bournemouth, Derby, QPR, Sheff Wed etc. the list goes on.

Maybe he also forgot or missed this in Nov:

Manchester City have failed in an initial bid to have the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) halt Uefa's investigation into a possible breach of Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules.

Maybe he thinks the title is tainted because we did at job on them at the Etihad in Feb 16.

Obviously letting his emotions get in the way of the facts!!!

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Embarrassed as I am.to say it but the early to mid 80s we suffered from the tigers effect. 

Crowd trouble and poor on field performance versus,. literally over the road, boozy good natured atmosphere (at that time, anyway) and weekly wins. 

Tigers had 500-3000 in the early 70s. 10 years later they were on 13000 a week. That must've hit our crowds

Yes good point.Proof we aren’t a one club Town.Ive got their equivalent of of Fossils and Foxes somewhere that shows attendances from the era.They also let them play at the same time didn’t they?Both at home.Or with a slight overlap in kick off times.

18 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Yes good point.Proof we aren’t a one club Town.Ive got their equivalent of of Fossils and Foxes somewhere that shows attendances from the era.They also let them play at the same time didn’t they?Both at home.Or with a slight overlap in kick off times.

Yeah, frequently we played on the same day with, as you say, slightly staggered kickoffs. Unbelievable now, looking back. Yet seemed normal then. 

So there was no crossover. You were either Tigers or City. And at a complete guess our crowds were 3k down on what they should've been (so 11k instead of 14k)

Knock-off the scumbags from Melton and Loughborough who turned towards forest, that didn't help either. Nor Pockets of Cov in Hinckley. 

I'd guess 1980s city fans were very much urban Leicester lads. A very different demographic to today

A few clubs were doing well in the mid 1980's, but attendances were down nationally.   Especially so in the Midlands ... you can't exaggerate just how bad it was.  

The list below shows average league crowds for the 1984-85 season:

1st Division

Villa  18289

Forest  16757

City  14530

West Brom  14121

Cov  12791

Stoke  10646

2nd Division

Brum  12522

Wolves  8376

3rd Division

Derby  10832

(bear in mind Forest's feeble attendances were on the back of a successful 8 year period, when they had finished 1st, 2nd, 5th, 7th, 12th, 5th, 3rd, 9th - won 2 League Cups, and fluked 2 European Cups )

Our home crowds were very poor in the mid 80's, but totally in line with the rest of the Midlands.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Yeah, frequently we played on the same day with, as you say, slightly staggered kickoffs. Unbelievable now, looking back. Yet seemed normal then. 

So there was no crossover. You were either Tigers or City. And at a complete guess our crowds were 3k down on what they should've been (so 11k instead of 14k)

Knock-off the scumbags from Melton and Loughborough who turned towards forest, that didn't help either. Nor Pockets of Cov in Hinckley. 

I'd guess 1980s city fans were very much urban Leicester lads. A very different demographic to today

I was an urban lad, and loved it at the time.  Born and brought up on Matthews between the 60's and the 90's, now I come in from the county and the age to match!!

Fit the demographic!!

Edited by The boy Linacre
added a line