Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
CosbehFox

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 2

Every Man City fan I ever speak to can't wait to tell me they were there when they were shit.

Funny that, their support has about doubled in the last 10 years so 50% of them are bandwagon jumpers.

There wasn't 50.000 of them in Maine Road in 1988 when Jari Rantanen was running around in tight shorts...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mapperleyfox said:

Every Man City fan I ever speak to can't wait to tell me they were there when they were shit.

Funny that, their support has about doubled in the last 10 years so 50% of them are bandwagon jumpers.

There wasn't 50.000 of them in Maine Road in 1988 when Jari Rantanen was running around in tight shorts...

To be fair they averaged over 28k fans in the third tier.

I went to watch Man City lose at home to CSKA Moscow a few years ago (which was fun) and the crowd booed the Champions League anthem at the start.

I believe they still do at every CL game, but I bet if you asked most of their fans why, they wouldn’t know the reason (I have asked a couple myself; one had no idea, the other said they always get ‘tough draws’! The main reason, it seems, is they reckon they got stitched up by UEFA over FFP a few years back but my impression is that it’s just general paranoia).

Anyway, I reckon it’s the same with the Ranieri chant. Their fans continue to do it because they think they’re being clever, whereas all it actually does is show them up to be ignorant, hypocritical buffoons.

30 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

I genuinely think when we won the title most fans of other clubs were happy we broke the status quo.  Now i think they see us in a different light almost as if we have had our moment in the sun and really should go back to being little Leicester.  With success comes envy.

I found in our title win there were two sets of fans. Some were happy to see the fairy tale and for another club to smash the elite. Others were jealous that it was our club and not their's so they were resentful.

When a club breaks the mould whether it be Wimbledon getting promoted and then staying in the PL for years or Man City blooding the noses of the elite people are happy for a bit but after a while you outstay your welcome. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heathrow fox said:

Promotions,cups games and local Derby’s.We've always turned up in numbers for those games.It was the 500/1000 hardcore a lot of the rest of the time.As for home support.While Man City would be getting crowds of 20000+ we would be at the -10000 mark.Pick any random weekend from that period,you will be shocked.Often way less support than teams a league below.

Watford, Norwich, QPR, Ipswich were all enjoying the best periods of their history.

Forest were too, but averaged a diabolical 18000. Clough regularly used to slag off thier European midweek crowds.

We were in a dreadful state. Skint, dreadful stadium, dull Gordon Milne football (he was actually very good but about as popular as Puel) and the ongoing threat of violence. 11,000 in Div 1 and 8,000 in Div2 was the norm. An entire generation was lost. Only 4 or 5 kids IN MY WHOLE SCHOOL YEAR followed City

• Like 2

Guest Markyblue
14 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Hang on…. Your messing with the narrative!  

Remember, Man City were practically Acrington Stanley before they got a few bob…

Well i get your sarcasm but lets be honest they hadn't won anything since the mid 70s until the oil money poured in. 

1 hour ago, Koke said:

.I know MCFC hate being told this but they literally won the lottery. Their success could have been Newcastle or Aston Villa or West Ham or Leicester, or 10 other clubs in England. 

I have more respect for Southampton finishing 5th in 15/16 than I have for Man City winning another league title. 

I dont outwardly hate them but I think their fan base have a small club mentality with their constant whining and conspiracy theories.

They probably won the Euromillions but in comparison we have won the National Lottery with our owners.

Guest Markyblue
3 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Watford, Norwich, QPR, Ipswich were all enjoying the best periods of their history.

Forest were too, but averaged a diabolical 18000. Clough regularly used to slag off thier European midweek crowds.

We were in a dreadful state. Skint, dreadful stadium, dull Gordon Milne football (he was actually very good but about as popular as Puel) and the ongoing threat of violence. 11,000 in Div 1 and 8,000 in Div2 was the norm. An entire generation was lost. Only 4 or 5 kids IN MY WHOLE SCHOOL YEAR followed City

Absolutely this. Small crowds no doubt but a good majority of them were young disillusioned and with nothing better to do than follow city home and away.

18 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Absolutely this. Small crowds no doubt but a good majority of them were young disillusioned and with nothing better to do than follow city home and away.

And most of us turned out alright in the end :thumbup:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

The mid to late 80s was a different era alright, small crowds, ramshackle grounds and crap pitches. Football had become pretty uncool. 

Italia 90 did a lot to reconnect the game to the public as did the Premier League idea. For us, the Brian Little era brought the Leicester public back in decent numbers - and then O'Neill of course.

But it wasn't all bad back then. Those that did go were louder, younger and actually a lot funnier than the present crowd - whose lack of animation is so often regretted on this forum.

Weird thing is, they're probably the same people largely. Just thirty years older...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

It was the same in my school year.The point was made that everyone’s support was poor during that time.Well ours was

a lot poorer than most.Ok we were always skint and good old Filbo wasn’t the best.We were in the 1st division for a good chunk of it though.With a half decent team for a couple of seasons.Villa and Forest apart it was the same for most of the Midlands clubs.

6 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Crowds were significantly down nationwide in the eighties sure.Loads Of social and economic reasons for that.However our support lagged way behind even the likes of Norwich and Ipswich.Let alone your Man City’s,Newcastle’s Leeds and Sheff Weds.Who weren’t all having the best of times, yet still nearly got double or nearly treble our usual home attendances.They pissed all over our away support aswell.Add Wolves to that list.

It was outside the top flight but Wolves once averaged 4-5k for a couple years in the 80s. Honestly if you look at the numbers most clubs were struggling in terms of support, including some that you mentioned.

4 hours ago, Captain... said:

And we didn't with our owners?

There is no real connection, despite some spurious claims of watching us in the 90s. Vichai wanted a football team we were available, we won the lottery, admittedly just the national lottery compared to Man City getting the euromillions on a triple rollover week. But we still lucked out massively, when you think of some the shady characters that have owned clubs like Forest and Leeds. I am pretty sure Mandaric would have sold to anyone with money.

yes we did but we don't go around pretending anything different, after the tragedy we talk openly in appreciation of everything they have done and acknowledge how lucky we got with it being them that took over

• Like 1

I know it's utter bollocks week in week out, but can the Beeb seriously not find someone who actually watches the games to do this feature? 

Lawro has us down to lose 2-0 at the weekend, which is a more than fair guess. However his reasoning was a little confusing:-

"Manchester United exposed Manchester City's defensive flaws with their fast counter-attacks that helped them win the derby at the start of December.

Can Leicester do the same? Well, United had Marcus Rashford, Anthony Martial and Daniel James running at City - with the Foxes, it is really just Jamie Vardy who does that."

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Yes said:

It was outside the top flight but Wolves once averaged 4-5k for a couple years in the 80s. Honestly if you look at the numbers most clubs were struggling in terms of support, including some that you mentioned.

Wolves did get gates of 4/5000.That was division 4 though.Leeds,Newcastle,Man City and Sheff Wed all averaged 20000+ during that decade.All spent time in division 2.For Leeds it was almost all of it.Norwich and Ipswich both regularly had bigger support.

8 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

Wolves did get gates of 4/5000.That was division 4 though.Leeds,Newcastle,Man City and Sheff Wed all averaged 20000+ during that decade.All spent time in division 2.For Leeds it was almost all of it.Norwich and Ipswich both regularly had bigger support.

I wasn’t around then so obviously can’t fully judge but just looking at the numbers for Leeds that wasn’t the case either, they once averaged 13k in div 2 and no more than 17k for a year throughout that period. 

Don’t get me wrong they’re all higher than us at the time for the most part but it just seems like most clubs had the same issues with attendance in the 80s especially when they dropped into div 2.