Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Bournemouth 4- Leicester 2 post match thread.

2 hours ago, vanity said:

With respect, I think we both know that isn't quite right. Sure, we're pissed and want to label Puel an idiot for not making obvious adjustments, but the problem is not that Puel had no idea how to rectify the situation.

The problem is that Puel is stubborn AF and refused to make the adjustments.

That has been a major problem for him everywhere. It is why his team revolted when he was at Southampton, and it is an ongoing issue here. Puel is a really smart tactician, he absolutely knew what to do, but he deliberately chose not to do it bc he is absolutely certain he is right about most everything on the field. Sure, our CBs/FBs were nowhere near up for the challenge, we repeatedly played AFCB onside, and FFS, when your CBs are getting yellows playing a high line, it is typically bc they are overmatched by the speed of the attacking players they are up against.

Which is, of course, precisely what happened here. 

Cannot believe I get up at 7am on my Saturdays to watch this crap sometimes, but this team has a great deal of talent. If Puel cannot get his head out his ass, then hopefully we finally manage to pull Benitez and we can start actually challenging for top-6. We have the young talent, we have an entire squad of talented internationals, including a number of young current/future English internationals.

If Puel cannot make hay over this stretch of games, we need to make Benitez the godfather offer. He has a 6m release clause, we can give him a massive transfer budget, gerrimin.

So I’m saying he's tactically naive and has no 'plan B', whereas you say he is smart, has a plan B - but consciously chooses not to act upon it!

Sounds like we're in violent agreement (on Benitez too) as Puel's clearly not our man!

Edited by Sublime_Coatsworth
  • Like 1

A bad day.

The Minutes from roughly 20-40 were perhaps the most painful in years. 3 goals conceded, almost 2 penalties given away and fortunate Maguire wasn't given his marching orders (his status got him out of disciplinary bother a bit like Dele Alli).

I should commend the team for the late goals but when the game was in the melting pot we didn't stand up. The defence was a holy show and worryingly its about the 4th time we've conceded that many in 2018. Other than Wolves which we were quite lucky its worrying how we have conceded first in every game this season.

We didn't really gel up front either. Vardy isn't suited to this type of game. Our slow build up play makes it easy for teams to suss him out. Could say the same for Gray.

It's more frustrating than it should be given our recent history but we don't seem to be up or this fixture in recent years.tt

After good shows v Arsenal and Spurs and a decent looking transfer window I was keen to give Claude the benefit of the doubt but today has seriously challenged that. His supporters said give him time to sort out the defence but that rings hollow after today. It's baffling how Morgan is still worth his place on the team. To be conceding so many goals after so many promises just rubs salt into the wounds.

Beating Huddersfield next week wont reduce the pressure on him. Gonna be a bumpy ride I would say.

• Like 1

Allowing Bournemouth to score three goals in the first half was close to criminal.

First time in two years we've shipped this many in the opening 45.

Ricardo Pereira the main culprit in my eyes, a foot or hand in all three, be it due to terrible positioning or terrible defending.

Morgan poor (he needs to retire sooner than later or be used for cup matches only), Maguire overly and unusually agitated (I see the new contract extension has done its magic), Ndidi and Mendy mostly anonymous, Gray tried, but with no end product, got caught up by trying too much too often, Ghezzal hardly to be seen (reminds me of a featherweight boxer), Maddison taken out of the game and Vardy with little to no service.

As much as we tried to play football, the whole team collapsed as time progressed and there simply was no cohesion and no visible gameplan.

Everyone played mostly for himself, apart from Maddison, who tried to create things up front. The lack of teamwork was a stark contrast to how Bournemouth pressed and ran their lungs out, THAT's how a TEAM plays.

Our defending was mostly shocking, Maguire could've been sent off early, Morgan can't cope with the speed of the league any longer, Pereira doesn't come across as an apt defender and tries too much going forward, leaving his whole right-hand side exposed. Chilwell's crossing still leaves a lot to be desired for, but he's the only one out of that back four coming out with any credit today whatsoever.

Mendy and Ndidi failed to protect the back four and had visible issues communicating with each other, sharing their portion of the pitch, but not the responsabilities.

Gray frustrating with his selfish behaviour and Ghezzal needs to beef up a bit and start getting into opposing players instead of shying away.

A nightmare from start to finish, the two late goals with ten men mainly act as a simple distraction.

Again, we come out of the tunnel half-asleep before a match, give a first half away under Puel and then have to play catch-up. Haven't we learnt from last season?

Edited by MC Prussian
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Allowing Bournemouth to score three goals in the first half was close to a criminal act.

Ricardo Pereira the main culprit in my eyes, a foot or hand in all three, be it due to terrible positioning or terrible defending.

Morgan poor (he needs to retire sooner than later or be used for cup matches only), Maguire overly and unusually agitated (I see the new contract extension has done its magic), Ndidi and Mendy mostly anonymous, Gray tried, but with no end product, got caught up by trying too much too often, Ghezzal hardly to be seen (reminds me of a featherweight boxer), Maddison taken out of the game and Vardy with little to no service.

As much as we tried to play football, the whole team collapsed as time progressed and there simply was no cohesion and no visible gameplan.

Everyone played mostly for himself, apart from Maddison, who tried to create things up front. The lack of teamwork was a stark contrast to how Bournemouth pressed and ran their lungs out, THAT's how a TEAM plays.

Our defending was mostly shocking, Maguire could've been sent off early, Morgan can't cope with the speed of the league any longer, Pereira doesn't come across as an apt defender and tries too much going forward, leaving his whole right-hand side exposed. Chilwell's crossing still leaves a lot to be desired for, but he's the only one out of that back four coming out with any credit today whatsoever.

Mendy and Ndidi failed to protect the back four and had visible issues communicating with each other, sharing their portion of the pitch, but not the responsabilities.

Gray frustrating with his selfish behaviour and Ghezzal needs to beef up a bit and start getting into opposing players instead of shying away.

A nightmare from start to finish, the two late goals with ten men mainly act as a simple distraction.

Again, we come out of the tunnel half-asleep before a match, give a first half away under Puel and then have to play catch-up. Haven't we learnt from last season?

The funny thing is we actually started the game well. The first 10-15 minutes we looked the more likely. We were winning the ball high up the pitch and were showing the right intent. We completely capitulated after the second goal. We're just so damn frustrating to watch so much of the time. 

2 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I’d just give up mate.

Lemina was signed last season after Puel had been sacked. 

I hate Google... but whatever crap that comes with, he played it at Southampton, he played it at Nice, if he didn't love it, it wouldn't be this formation every week would it...

8 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

He played 3-5-2 and 4-1-2-1-2 at Nice.

He didn't always play the same formations (which makes it more frustrating he sticks to one here)

Taken from a journo based website "He favours a 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1 that is flexible depending on the opposition and type of game."

Its the last bit of that, that p***** me off the most... I've not seen any flexibility

Another tactics website:

Tactical gameplan

Claude Puel is known for his fast and counter attack football build on 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with a classical midfield composed by a centre midfielder (“8 jersey”) a box-to-box and an offensive creative playmaker.

In attack he often asks his wingers to cut inside the box to create overloads.

Can't be arsed to argue about his tactics anymore, but one thing is for certain, it is ours now, and that isn't the problem in my opinion, it's the results and performances in the last 20 games...

Edited by lcfceaves

2 minutes ago, yks said:

We lost against a midtable team, away from home, with more shots and possession than them.
Nothing abnormal, nothing to worry about.
This will happen again during the season, that's just the way it is for clubs who aren't Top 6 (and that happens to them too).

Only drama queens and people who have an agenda make a big deal of that.

That doesn't tell the whole story though does it.

We conceded the first goal again and crumbled after doing so, going into HT 3-0 down and very nearly with 10 men.

I've seen worse, and there were positives, but let's not disguise the fact that we were well beaten today and it was a horrible day at the office.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Genuinely curious as to why the Puel in lot are so fiercely defending him what have they actually seen to warrant such support? 

He's our manager in possesion,who has a special job to do.Many realise we don't want to keep starting from square one.

He and management have a plan,a plan that will take time.Slowly introducing Youth,and a new system,because the old one ran

It's course,those players have ran their course.We can't just throw all out,there are 3-4 players who can still turn out solid

Performances,maybe not consistently...

I for one don't understand the Puel out lot....We needed change,we need the youth to grow,there is no dream of hitting the ground running,

There is simply a lot of hard work to be put in.Ignorance of a few who deny that this era of PL,has a lot of good solid home teams.

We were away today...we played quite well,but blew it with defensive errors....So what..shi t happens!!! ,especially when bedding in New

Players...Too many sqwarking,like scared chickens..demanding something we have ever achieved..ONCE!!!

Puel has the responsibility and  mantle to bring this club on and forward.....

A few weeks ago the owners have put a statement..we aint  a Newcastle, neither are we a Chelsea or L'pool.

Not only the team,but the club have to find a new face a new ethos,that needs time and patience...not 1half seasons,but 3seasons +

Of course Even Puel on taking on this dynamic. needed change will have to show performance improvements,if you hadn't noticed in five games

Even when in parts we have truelly struggled..we have not been turgid,in effort of sake of trying.....

Football is football,nothing is written in the stars, it might yet go tits  up,but any major change and the persons who are given that mantel

Must be given and shown that time and Patience,with some understanding and not these repetitive immature calls for his head....

Because their  seemingly total lack of imagination, or an agenda to pump out negatives and go on righteous campaigns.

Last season I wanted a positive top 12,we got a good top 9....with 2 decent cup runs.....but dotted with turgid pathetic showings.

The results this season have been mixed,the performances have not reached any highs,but IMO turgid has not crossed yet our

Whitewash...5 games with no hangers on,mixed with experience,but now reliable on youth with ambition,but no baggage or cases

Full of neither  failure nor success....We are starting a totally new journey,now this season,nothing from last season is relevant,many

Favourites,had to find there is no future at city,changes in styles,have peeked their ideas from under the blanket....No more no less.

A small slow  clean out has been put forward and realised.....At the moment with Puel-out brigade we are at the premature

"Shoot the messenger stage".... 're-org  was needed, new mix of cards,and finding out who can help to carry the hands,

Into the very near,and not too far future....We have thrown in high pools of money,we we have had to fold on many promising

Investments...The rebuild is just starting.....We have nothing from that title season,that we can rely on,just wildcards,for various reasons

to hold onto...That still support strength of hand...I

give me a top name,and he would have the same,struggles...

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, cropstonfox said:

He will take us down.We wont finish bottom but will be scrapping around the bottom six with every likelihood of being sucked down at the end looking at our last six games.

This team wouldn't go down this season. Too many weaker teams than us and we will always score goals, which is key to staying up. 

However, even the thought of being towards the bottom, is a clear sign that this Manager is failing. We should be looking up and towards 7th and 8th not down. 

Obviously we are only 5 games in and have two wins (albeit lucky ones!) and I do believe we have some very good players. That line-up today was strong and we have players like Iborra and Silva on the bench too, so we are in good shape squad wise. It's just the system that needs tweaking, to get the best out of them. Something that Puel failed at massively today. It was very naive to play Periera and Chilwell in a back 4, with the rapidly declining Morgan too! 

My point is, if Puel can't keep us in the top 10 and well away from danger, then someone else will, as the squad we have is more than good enough. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

My worry is that we've become too easy to play against, too nice. I think we've been lacking an edge since the beginning of the season.

Too nice probably nails it.

We have 2 holding midfielders but both are a little 2 nice. 

We don't have a mean streak. I don't mean we have to have a nasty bastard. But basically Vardy and maybe Harry are the only ones with a little mean streak in them, maybe it's a bit basic but we grew up in this country talking about earning the right to play football. That meant winning the little battles 1st and then showing you were better on the ball as well.

• Like 1

I’ve wanted Puel to work for so long and there’s plenty of rational arguments to say he should be gone. 

As a defender of what to give a manager time to succeed and not become a club with a constant change of manager, it concerns me that he repeatedly makes the same mistakes in selection and tactics.

• Like 1