Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Bournemouth 4- Leicester 2 post match thread.

4 minutes ago, Marutimon said:

After seeing that cross for the Albrighton I would be willing to give Ian a shot on the wings ahead of the ever terrible Gray.

Agreed. Big fan of Gray, but he has done nothing to warrant a place ahead of Albrighton so far. Still gutted we didn't go big in the window and get a top top winger in! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kingfox said:

No doubt fans will blame everything on Puel and Wes lol 

Postives - We started well for once and we ended up scoring two goals.

Today was just one of those days where everything seemed to go wrong, you can pin the loss on Puel but simple defensive errors cost us today. Yet again Ricardo showed us that he isn't a right-back, there's a reason why Puel has played him on the wing sometimes or brought Amartey on in games and pushed him forward because he's much better there, Ricardo is a better winger than he is a right-back. It also didn't help matters that Harry Maguire produced his worst ever performance for us, he was a shambles all game. Match was summed up with Wes getting sent off and Pawson proving yet again that he's a shit ref.

Of course fans should blame Puel, the high line was a tactical disaster. Our CBs are far too slow for that to be effective, and with our FBs committing to the attack, we are left with acres of space behind our CBs, plenty of room for their forwards to outrace us for through-balls. Puel dictates the strategy we employ. He got it very, very wrong today. And unfortunately, he's stubborn enough that we'll undoubtedly see him make the mistake again.

1 hour ago, lgfualol said:

I am not furiously defending him but I am just sick of us sacking managers and yearning for the past. 

Fair enough. But it is possible to want to keep some more possession but to actually want to attack before a games lost or it’s 70 minutes in. It’s surley better to progress as a club under someone who will play a more possession based game that people want but actually have some intent with that possession. 

10 minutes ago, vanity said:

Of course fans should blame Puel, the high line was a tactical disaster. Our CBs are far too slow for that to be effective, and with our FBs committing to the attack, we are left with acres of space behind our CBs, plenty of room for their forwards to outrace us for through-balls. Puel dictates the strategy we employ. He got it very, very wrong today. And unfortunately, he's stubborn enough that we'll undoubtedly see him make the mistake again.

Correct. But almost more worrying is that he had no idea how to rectify the situation,  no plan B.

Anyone with half a brain could see that given both our centre-backs were already on a yellow, and were woefully off the pace, at least one of them was going to get a red. Yet apparently this was a surprise for Puel!

34 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

The bottom line is we will never be anything more than a bottom half of the league team under Puel. We probably wouldn't get relegated but we certainly wouldn't compete for anything. Is that the direction we want for your club?

All these "didn't think we were too bad" comments every week. The point is we didn't win and we aren't going up the league.

You can't tell me the players were playing for Puel today. They looked confused, bereft of any ideas and like a team that the tactics don't suit.

Really, really poor. Let's wait until Christmas and another 10 dodgey results before we do anything about it though. Things might change.... Yeah right.

We were top half last season under Puel, weren't we?

There is plenty to criticize Puel for tactically, particularly the high defensive line IMO. But I didn't see players not playing for him, who are you referring to specifically? Perhaps it looked that way to you bc tactically Puel f'd up huge, and our positioning took Ndidi and Mendy out of their typical defensive positions, so they seemed much quieter and less effective defensively than usual. If we played AFCB again next week, and opted to play a deeper line and start Amartey at RB, I think we'd have a go. I think even starting Pereira we could have a go if we played a back 3. Though I think Pereira needs to make better decisions and not commit himself forward in so cavalier a fashion.

It was one awful game, an outlier so far. Hopefully it stays that way.

2 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Couldn't watch today as was at a family do.  Sounds like I didn't miss much?  Could anyone offer an objective, constructive summary of the performance?  Not looking for "we were shit, get rid" but some actual useful information.

Thanks

X

Bournemouth took their chances, shit ref, we were shit at the back. Scoreline flatters Bournemouth.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sublime_Coatsworth said:

Correct. But almost more worrying is that he had no idea how to rectify the situation,  no plan B.

Anyone with half a brain could see that given both our centre-backs were already on a yellow, and were woefully off the pace, at least one of them was going to get a red. Yet apparently this was a surprise for Puel!

With respect, I think we both know that isn't quite right. Sure, we're pissed and want to label Puel an idiot for not making obvious adjustments, but the problem is not that Puel had no idea how to rectify the situation.

The problem is that Puel is stubborn AF and refused to make the adjustments.

That has been a major problem for him everywhere. It is why his team revolted when he was at Southampton, and it is an ongoing issue here. Puel is a really smart tactician, he absolutely knew what to do, but he deliberately chose not to do it bc he is absolutely certain he is right about most everything on the field. Sure, our CBs/FBs were nowhere near up for the challenge, we repeatedly played AFCB onside, and FFS, when your CBs are getting yellows playing a high line, it is typically bc they are overmatched by the speed of the attacking players they are up against.

Which is, of course, precisely what happened here. 

Cannot believe I get up at 7am on my Saturdays to watch this crap sometimes, but this team has a great deal of talent. If Puel cannot get his head out his ass, then hopefully we finally manage to pull Benitez and we can start actually challenging for top-6. We have the young talent, we have an entire squad of talented internationals, including a number of young current/future English internationals.

If Puel cannot make hay over this stretch of games, we need to make Benitez the godfather offer. He has a 6m release clause, we can give him a massive transfer budget, gerrimin.

1 hour ago, Jaspa said:

First two things - we we're all over the place at the back, mainly stemming from Ricardo being out of position...

If you mean being out of position by being too far forward then you really can't blame Ricardo.  He is an attacking full back given licence to bomb forward.  If there is no cover then the centre mids are failing to do their job, it is hardly Ricardo's fault.

12 minutes ago, Dawko said:

Got the best counter-attacking striker in the League, yet we've decided to stop playing on the counter-attack.

Any other team would play to their strengths.

There's an argument that we were no longer able to play that way or at least not able to rely on it. Our ball retention in the later stages under Ranieri and under Shakespeare was embarrassing to say the least. Plus there were a fair few times today where we did play on the break, we just weren't clinical enough. I feel so conflicted at the minute as to what is the best direction to go in. 

22 minutes ago, Dawko said:

Got the best counter-attacking striker in the League, yet we've decided to stop playing on the counter-attack.

Any other team would play to their strengths.

Do you seriously think our defence could hold up being peppered for 90 minutes?

11 minutes ago, murphy said:

If you mean being out of position by being too far forward then you really can't blame Ricardo.  He is an attacking full back given licence to bomb forward.  If there is no cover then the centre mids are failing to do their job, it is hardly Ricardo's fault.

Don't like the 4-2-3-1 system myself because attacking width has to come from the full backs, therefore it can be the achilles heel in defence. And if you set up a team to press high away from home, which is ok in theory by the way, don't be surprised when you get caught with acres of space behind the back four when we lose the ball. Defensive midfielders are just as prone to be caught as the rest with the long pass as the rest of the side. Seems to me a structural problem rather than an individual one.  

Edited by l444ry

1 minute ago, Beechey said:

I don't think he's as bad as many make out, but he was sent off.

Morgan was well overmatched today, which is why he kept fouling. Puel's tactics absolutely left him out to dry, and Wes was slow and ineffective in many situations where the Cherries didn't score. It isn't that he was to blame for all the goals, it is just a reflection of his lack of speed and quality defending at this point in his career, he forces Maguire to cover a larger area than a younger CB would, which puts Maguire in difficult positions at times. Days like today, when Maguire was tired AF from playing 3 matches since last Saturday, he couldn't manage his own part of the defense, let alone cover that bit of extra ground for Wes. It may only be a few steps wider, but it is the same for our fullbacks, they need to play a bit tighter than ideal when outside Wes. We are talking about a couple yards at most for Maguire and Pereira/Amartey, but it is a cost to our defense.

31 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Couldn't watch today as was at a family do.  Sounds like I didn't miss much?  Could anyone offer an objective, constructive summary of the performance?  Not looking for "we were shit, get rid" but some actual useful information.

Thanks

X

We started brightly, Vardy was played in by Maddison a couple of time and maybe should have done better with the chances. We played too high up the pitch, unsurprisingly Ryan Fraser, Josh King and Callum Wilson all got in behind at some point. We still played fairly well but they scored form what seems like the two times they got into our half in a 10 minute spell. Puel made errors with the defensive line height and playing Morgan + Maguire together. Second half we didn't really play any better, Morgan maybe unlucky to be sent off but having him in such a high line is always going to expose him. Bournemouth switched off a bit and we scored twice as a result. Scoreline flatters Bournemouth a bit but we were also very shoddy at the back and decent-ish up top.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, l444ry said:

Don't like the 4-2-3-1 system myself because attacking width has to come from the full backs, therefore it can be the achilles heel in defence. And if you set up a team to press high away from home, which is ok in theory by the way, don't be surprised when you get caught with acres of space behind the back four when we lose the ball. Defensive midfielders are just as prone as the rest when the long pass as the rest of the side. Seems to me a structural problem rather than an individual one.  

Agreed, if we're playing with such aggressive fullbacks we need the central pairing being very comfortable covering ground and stepping out - neither of Maguire or Morgan are. Morgan's suspension should be a blessing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stadt said:

We started brightly, Vardy was played in by Maddison a couple of time and maybe should have done better with the chances. We played too high up the pitch, unsurprisingly Ryan Fraser, Josh King and Callum Wilson all got in behind at some point. We still played fairly well but they scored form what seems like the two times they got into our half in a 10 minute spell. Puel made errors with the defensive line height and playing Morgan + Maguire together. Second half we didn't really play any better, Morgan maybe unlucky to be sent off but having him in such a high line is always going to expose him. Bournemouth switched off a bit and we scored twice as a result. Scoreline flatters Bournemouth a bit but we were also very shoddy at the back and decent-ish up top.

Ta very much.  :)  Could it maybe be a blessing in disguise to be without Morgan for a couple of games?  Might be nice to see a new CB partnership?  X

Maddison is NOT the new Messiah. He can run with the ball sure, but his delivery today was woeful. 48 corners kicked straight to their distinctly average 'keeper. Vardy was awful as well, how many times was he seen ambling back to an onside position with his hands in the air giving it the "dont pass to me" sign?Looks like JV is still on his fookin holidays. Maguire, horrible as well, Matt Elliot comes to mind, turning circle of an oil tanker and zero pace.

On the bright side, Ghezzal looks promising - why the fook was he taken off and replaced with workhorse Albrighton?  Chilwell was excellent, Mendy as well. Fans were ok, at least where I was, all standing. Pawson is a car crash of a ref though, spoke to a Bmth fan walking back to the car, he said he was crap for both teams. Nice to be home by 6 though, thats what I call an away day.