Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Huddersfield H post match thread 3-1

Not read the thread so not sure the feeling is. For me we scored from 2 counter attacks and a free kick. The tikki takki achieved bugger all. That said im delighted that we won and wont be complaining until the next match.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Wouldn't call it an unconvincing win at all. 

You can't continuously ping the ball around for 90 minutes, this isn't FIFA. The whole point of slowing the game down is to get a breather and take the sting out the game whilst you work your way forward. 

We played a team with 11 behind the ball for large periods of the game, you can't expect every pass to cut through their team, sideways passing is needed to create openings and tire a team out.

I don’t expect us to cut through the team every time, what I would like to see is us be a bit more creative.

Even in the Utd and especially the Liverpool game, we had lots of possession but we wasn’t really hurting them, it was to comfortable.

Im not against sideways football, but we need to mix it up a bit.

We have a very decent side, Puel just needs to back his players more.

16 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Out of interest, what does everyone think about the next league lineup? Do Vardy, Nacho and Maddison all start again even away from home?

I'd probably say yes even if means we lose our width. I think they are our three best technical players and it's no coincidence all 3 scored and both Vardy and Nacho assisted each other. The other forwards are OK, but I can never picture them as consistent goal threats or scorers. Perhaps Gray in time will become one, but he's been here for a few years now and both his scoring and assists are sporadic, even he does seem to have improved this season.

A lot of people say Puel doesn't know what his best team is yet, and to be honest I don't think anyone has. It will probably take a bit more tinkering even though I kind of wish we kept the same starting lineup for 3-5 games just to bed them in. Sarri at Chelsea has deliberately had his team start the same and play the same way for 5 games and whilst they are much better man for man than we are, I think it's interesting that he's chosen this approach, saying he will play others later in the season but that for now in order for the team to learn his way, he has to keep it the same.

Well we play Newcastle away next, do Newcastle play a wide game or through the middle (genuinely not sure)? I Like how we played today. Maddison almost as an inverted winger, stationed out wide when defending, but the minute we attacked he'd drift inside, leaving Chillwell the whole wing to run into. But when he came inside, you had him, Nacho and vardy getting into positions to score or create chances. 

I love what Ghezzal brings but in that situation Gray is a lot more direct, especially with Amartey sitting behind him. 

5 minutes ago, dayday said:

I don’t expect us to cut through the team every time, what I would like to see is us be a bit more creative.

Even in the Utd and especially the Liverpool game, we had lots of possession but we wasn’t really hurting them, it was to comfortable.

Im not against sideways football, but we need to mix it up a bit.

We have a very decent side, Puel just needs to back his players more.

With 11 parked behind the ball and the centre packed, it's hard to be that creative tbh. 

Liverpool have a great team and we were always going to struggle to break them down. Utd game I can't remember the.

57 minutes ago, lanefox said:

So we win comfortably 3-1 and people still moan!

like ive said before winning the prem ruined this club nothing will ever be good enough.

were 8th with 2 winnable games coming up next 

It's not at all, I've been on this forum since the beginning and we've always had a good solid bunch of us that like to moan. The title win curbed the moaning, so not sure how that's ruined things. A few more years of shit will get us back to what we know and love.

Bad:

Conceding a stupid early goal again.

Ghezzal not really at the races.

As with Bournemouth, we were far too open to the counter again, esp. first half. Depoitre sticks that chance away for 2-2 and we're in trouble.

Struggled to break them down in the first half.

Good:

Three very well taken goals and could have had more.

Chilwell good yet again.

Amartey surprisingly good, one or two great passes from him.

Maddison, Iheanacho and Vards playing together and all scoring.

Mendy looking tidy, Wilf a bit sloppy but class in the tackle as ever.

Gray looked well up for it off the bench.

Bit more creativity/penetration from the midfield and we'll be looking good. Thought we looked much better in the second half when Mendy started to drive forward more but not sure that's really his game.

I hope those around me who keep demanding that we just get the effin ball forward soon realise that what we are doing is the better way.... playing it around (without wes’ extra touches) stretches the opposition midfield four and allows players to get between the lines on the half turn.  We are far from the finished article but I was impressed how often we found space in tight areas against a side who are generally v good at closing those spaces down 

it’s so refreshing to see us controlling the ball at home aganst ‘inferior’ opponents.  

• Like 1

It strikes me that the key to our success under Puel is tempo, when we speed up it pays divided, but it hard to know who responsible for this Puel or the players themselves. Today was definitely a game of two halves, but in the end it was pretty convincing and in this league that is good enough :) 

10 minutes ago, southfox66 said:

It strikes me that the key to our success under Puel is tempo, when we speed up it pays divided, but it hard to know who responsible for this Puel or the players themselves. Today was definitely a game of two halves, but in the end it was pretty convincing and in this league that is good enough :)

why not both? It doesn't always just have to be one or the other.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

My point is it the quality of our players or Puels management skills. I think we have very talented players, who maybe would play better under a different manager, but after winning 3 - 1, that's an argument for another day :)

Deserved win, didn't panic or lose our heads after conceding and could've had more.

Liked some of our play, felt we were poor at other times but you're going to get that. Great to see the strikers both score and also Amartey did a good job at right-back. Gray should be in ahead of Ghezzal who was poor, I felt, and possibly we need to break up the Mendy/ Ndidi partnership for games like this as neither are particularly creative although the workrate is exceptional.

Need to back it up next week.

23 minutes ago, southfox66 said:

You cannot play possession football at a high tempo non stop - you do need some periods where you fiddle around with it at the back to allow players to sort themselves out higher up the pitch.  The secret is to make the passes crisp and quick (hopefully first time) when you are looking to inject tempo - that creates spaces