Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Huddersfield H post match thread 3-1

33 minutes ago, NaijaFox said:

Not sure we are disagreeing on that (albeit “much better” is a tad bit hyperbolic) as I pointed same out to the poster criticizing Mendy earlier.

Nonetheless, both bring different attributes to the game (even though they seem to reprise same role) and I personally think that many on FT have now become  pre-conditioned to exaggerating Wilf’s errant passing (not that he helps his own case, but in reality it’s barely a couple per game), particularly given that he often gets the most touches per game (and in today’s game, tried more passes than Mendy), and seemingly takes his other attributes for granted (when as the stats show, passing aside Mendy shows little of none of those attributes in the same measure). Accordingly, while some may moan about Wilf in “general play”, suffice it to note that we would probably see considerably less of said general play without him. Just saying.

If I’m honest my main gripe with Wilf today was a lack of aggression at times. Not getting close to 50/50s etc but it was an off day for him, nothing more nothing less so relax.

I actually hate some of our fans.

One guy behind me, when Huddersfield scored, 'Sack Puel now'. As if no team has ever comeback and finished a game off after conceding early.

The guy next to him, when Iheanacho was played through, 'he's useless'. Obviously goes on to slot past Lossl. Muted celebration from the guy who's face had gone embarrassingly red.

Absolute berks the both of them who just would not stop berating and bemoaning any decision a player made constantly throughout the game even when we were well in control in the 2nd half. It's exhausting listening to them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

One of my biggest concerns right now is the apparent will of some of our 'fan base' for us to lose games to try to justify the Puel out stance they have.

Surely we all should want him to succeed, behind the football that is evidently not good enough at times, there seems to be an identity for how the squad is built over a substantial period of time. If we lose Claude, we potentially lose all that has been built so far as well. 

We have to improve further yes, bar that defeat to Bournemouth we have lost to Man U and Liverpool , hardly a disaster. We have a spine of players who are good enough for the top 6 on a consistent basis in my opinion with Kasper, Maguire,  Ndidi, Maddison and Vardy. So it would be nice for us all to take a step back and understand who we are, because for all but one amazing fairy tale season, this club is in the best place it's ever been, so just relax!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Livid said:

It was an odd one. Good result although they looked very poor. 

Started slow......again!

The possesion football is very nice but we seem to run out of ideas when we get to the 18 yard box. We seemed a bit shot shy in the first half. 

Looked much more balanced and threatening when Gray came on.

Amartey had a great game although I don’t think i’ll ever be as relaxed with him playing as I was when Simpson was RB.

We finally have a free kick taker! 

Generally I know it’s a work in progress with Puel but it’s painfully slow progress. We seem to be inching forward rather than in giant strides. 

Happy with the 3 points but I think it’s going to be a long season for us. 

Feel the same with Armartey, which is perhaps a tad unfair!

Slow or fast it is progress - it is forward. We've spent many a year watching us go backwards, so I'm going to enjoy our evolution.

I don't think progress cant be viewed as the squad in isolation; if there is visible progress in our own squad its because we are progressing and improving faster than clubs around us who are also trying very hard to improve and progress. So far this season we've demonstrated improvements - we've had one bad performance/result and lost to Liverpool and Manure. We are doing ok and there is plenty of opportunity to push on much further.

Hope this makes sense - I know what i was trying to say :-)

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

een virtually every conceivable style and type of game in my 40+ years away, at Filbo and the King Power but what I'm seeing at the moment doesn't excite me.

Celebrating winning throw ins sums it up

winning 3-1 doesnt excite you? jesus..

• Haha 1

Alot of sideways passing today, controlled the game against a very poor side who will more than likely get relegated but we did what we needed. As ever looked best when on the counter attack. 

Gray needs to start over Ghezzal and Maddison (who is sheer class) more central. I love the pairing of Ndidi and Mendy but its not very creative so we need to utilise Maddison better.

Evans looks completely lost of confidence and Amartey is just as bad as Simpson going forward, we kept going down that side and it was painful to watch at times. I would give Ricardo another shot as he is a much better outlet and Amartey was just as dodgy defensively at times by giving the ball away. 

Out of interest, what does everyone think about the next league lineup? Do Vardy, Nacho and Maddison all start again even away from home?

I'd probably say yes even if means we lose our width. I think they are our three best technical players and it's no coincidence all 3 scored and both Vardy and Nacho assisted each other. The other forwards are OK, but I can never picture them as consistent goal threats or scorers. Perhaps Gray in time will become one, but he's been here for a few years now and both his scoring and assists are sporadic, even he does seem to have improved this season.

A lot of people say Puel doesn't know what his best team is yet, and to be honest I don't think anyone has. It will probably take a bit more tinkering even though I kind of wish we kept the same starting lineup for 3-5 games just to bed them in. Sarri at Chelsea has deliberately had his team start the same and play the same way for 5 games and whilst they are much better man for man than we are, I think it's interesting that he's chosen this approach, saying he will play others later in the season but that for now in order for the team to learn his way, he has to keep it the same.

Edited by StriderHiryu

All's well that ends well.

Mendy has been our most consistent performer this season - much sharper and more reliable than Ndidi - and was easily our best player in a generally ropey first half. Others followed his lead after the interval thankfully and we were good value for the win by the end.

Those three excellent finishes should give Iheanacho, Maddison and Vardy real confidence going forward. Let's hope so anyway because we have a couple of very winnable games coming up.

Edited by Hammo

18 minutes ago, lanefox said:

So we win comfortably 3-1 and people still moan!

like ive said before winning the prem ruined this club nothing will ever be good enough.

were 8th with 2 winnable games coming up next 

well it isnt just me who thinks that then, some of our fans expect the earth and more now tbh since we won the league and still kind of live in cloud cuckoo land with it if they think we are anything what we was when we won the league

a win is a win in the premier league, you can only beat the teams in front of you so to speak, it was a typical performance this season, go behind and then we start playing, thought we could and should have won by more, Evans shaky but grew into the game, thought Amartey played well at RB, certainly good to get back to winning ways even if it doesnt please all LCFC fans

20 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I actually hate some of our fans.

One guy behind me, when Huddersfield scored, 'Sack Puel now'. As if no team has ever comeback and finished a game off after conceding early.

The guy next to him, when Iheanacho was played through, 'he's useless'. Obviously goes on to slot past Lossl. Muted celebration from the guy who's face had gone embarrassingly red.

Absolute berks the both of them who just would not stop berating and bemoaning any decision a player made constantly throughout the game even when we were well in control in the 2nd half. It's exhausting listening to them

It just reflects the general population at large. Some people are just incredibly negative and an emotional drain on all around them. Its very very rare that somebody that negative will ever achieve success or anything notable - you just cant if you don't have a positive outlook. Most highly negative people know deep down that they will never amount to a hill of beans and they resent those around them that do succeed and they belittle those that try - its a window for them to see their own failures and they know it and are subsequently bitter about others success or efforts. 

Seeing people for what they are makes it easier to understand where they are 'really' coming from and it makes it easier to ignore their self pity. 

Anyways, Happy days!!

• Like 3

Think Puel obviously sees something in Ghezzal and feels he just needs prem time. Hence him starting but with the ever reliable albrighton waiting in the wings.  Need to find a way to blood players but albrighton has to be in the team.

Chilwell was defensively better than ive seen for some time but despite his runs and positive attack play his final ball was always woeful today. 

Amartey looked good today...but then he so often does again poor opposition and then definitely less so against better teams.

Maddison superb again.