Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Leicester 1- Everton 2 post match thread.

6 minutes ago, Marutimon said:

The primary player culpable was Maendy but he can do no wrong apparently.

How so, Periera and then Amartey overcommitted and allowed Bernard to get the cross in unchallenged, and Schmeichel misjudged the cross. If you want to pass blame beyond them, Chilwell wasn't aware of Richarlison behind him. How was Mendy most culpable?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

How so, Periera and then Amartey overcommitted and allowed Bernard to get the cross in unchallenged, and Schmeichel misjudged the cross. If you want to pass blame beyond them, Chilwell wasn't aware of Richarlison behind him. How was Mendy most culpable?

What?

Sequence of events: Namphalys Mendy gives away the ball close to his own penalty area with a poor pass (something that Ndidi who gets lambasted here didn't do the entire game), which allows Bernard a free cross (with Mendy again at fault by allowing the cross in by not backing up Amartey, instead running away from the ball with his back to the ball). The ball is pinged out of the area, chaos ensues and makes it to Bernard again. Then cue Pereira, Amartey, Kasper and goal. With Mendy aimlessly wandering around after what he caused himself.

Not to mention he was caught jogging with disinterest (with a "I wonder if Sigurdsson can score from here, if I do nothing" attitude) on the second goal.

If it weren't for Morgan - Mendy was by far the worst player of the day.

See here:

https://www.goalsarena.org/en/video/england-barclays-premier-league/06-10-2018-leicester-city-1-2-everton.html   

Edited by Marutimon

I wish people would stop talking about centre backs needing pace. A good CB is spatially aware with good anticipation.

Morgan was disappointingly naïve, yes, but subbing him on for Evans would not have solved the Richarlison problem - the only 'quick' CB we have is Soyuncu, who isn't ready.

The solution is to not play such a high line against pacy forwards. It's that simple. The reason Wes makes such a silly tackle on the halfway line is because he knows that Richarlison have acres of space in behind him to run into, with no cover.

Also, Gylfi scored a worldie. Yes, we gave him too much space for it but that's because they used their extra man to drag apart an opening. We were defending well up until Wes got sent off. I could see the gap in our defence from SK2 - it was good play from Everton.

15 minutes ago, Marutimon said:

What?

Sequence of events: Namphalys Mendy gives away the ball close to his own penalty area with a poor pass (something that Ndidi who gets lambasted here didn't do the entire game), which allows Bernard a free cross (with Mendy again at fault by allowing the cross in by not backing up Amartey, instead running away from the ball with his back to the ball). The ball is pinged out of the area, chaos ensues and makes it to Bernard again. Then cue Pereira, Amartey, Kasper and goal. With Mendy aimlessly wandering around after what he caused himself.

Not to mention he was caught jogging with disinterest (with a "I wonder if Sigurdsson can score from here, if I do nothing" attitude) on the second goal.

If it weren't for Morgan - Mendy was by far the worst player of the day.

See here:

https://www.goalsarena.org/en/video/england-barclays-premier-league/06-10-2018-leicester-city-1-2-everton.html   

So you didn't watch the game then? Ndidi was guilty of giving it away in our defensive third on more than one occasion resulting in them getting shots off.

It isn't a poor pass out, he's got three closing him with no options, clearance gets blocked. He shouldn't go out to support Amartey, Amartey is supporting Periera, you don't pull your entire team across to stop one player. The second he starts coming across once Maddison has got over excited and lost his discipline. Blaming those on Mendy first and foremost is basically because you don't like him, not because he's actually at fault.

21 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

So you didn't watch the game then? Ndidi was guilty of giving it away in our defensive third on more than one occasion resulting in them getting shots off.

It isn't a poor pass out, he's got three closing him with no options, clearance gets blocked. He shouldn't go out to support Amartey, Amartey is supporting Periera, you don't pull your entire team across to stop one player. The second he starts coming across once Maddison has got over excited and lost his discipline. Blaming those on Mendy first and foremost is basically because you don't like him, not because he's actually at fault.

I think you didn't watch the game. Actually Mendy lost the ball more than once and you're conflating Mendy's poor plays for Ndidi.

Mendy - being closed down needed to pass the ball out of play or to his closest teammate. Not straight through a plethora of opponents. That's on him. There was no one blocking a pass out of play.

On the first cross Pereira wasn't close by, Mendy was and could have intervened, instead he was backing away from the ball. On the second cross - sure, but Mendy was neither here nor there - he was doing f all in no man's land with no clue as to what he should do (just highlights Mendy's terrible positional sense). Mendy offers nothing. And even the stats back that up - he can't tackle, he can't defend, he can't head, he gives away the ball too often. The only thing he has is a decent side pass and some energy.

The second - sure, Maddison overcommited, but a proper DM would sprint to intercept the ball, Mendy gingerly jogged to it. I don't know if he would have made it, but chances are he would have blocked the shot. If that was Kante or even Ndidi - I doubt there would be a goal.

This Mendy love is making you guys irrational. I don't dislike Mendy, but the Mendy MOTM comments are just so mindboggling I have to react.

p.s. On the first goal - notice the difference between Ndidi and Mendy. Mendy is ball watching the entire play. Meanwhile Ndidi sees what's happening (Perreira and then Amartey being dribbled past) and gives it his all to block the final cross. He didn't manage too, but at least he did what he was supposed to. Mendy stayed the entire play in the penalty area blocking no path and making no attempt to make himself useful.

Edited by Marutimon
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marutimon said:

I think you didn't watch the game. Actually Mendy lost the ball more than once and you're conflating Mendy's poor plays for Ndidi.

Mendy - being closed down needed to pass the ball out of play or to his closest teammate. Not straight through a plethora of opponents. That's on him. There was no one blocking a pass out of play.

On the first cross Pereira wasn't close by, Mendy was and could have intervened, instead he was backing away from the ball. On the second cross - sure, but Mendy was neither here nor there - he was doing f all in no man's land with no clue as to what he should do (just highlights Mendy's terrible positional sense). Mendy offers nothing. And even the stats back that up - he can't tackle, he can't defend, he can't head, he gives away the ball too often. The only thing he has is a decent side pass and some energy.

The second - sure, Maddison overcommited, but a proper DM would sprint to intercept the ball, Mendy gingerly jogged to it. I don't know if he would have made it, but chances are he would have blocked the shot. If that was Kante or even Ndidi - I doubt there would be a goal.

This Mendy love is making you guys irrational. I don't dislike Mendy, but the Mendy MOTM comments are just so mindboggling I have to react.

p.s. On the first goal - notice the difference between Ndidi and Mendy. Mendy is ball watching the entire play. Meanwhile Ndidi sees what's happening (Perreira and then Amartey being dribbled past) and gives it his all to block the final cross. He didn't manage too, but at least he did what he was supposed to. Mendy stayed the entire play in the penalty area blocking no path and making no attempt to make himself useful.

What an absolute load of horseshit. In the first half hour loose passes out from the back gave them three half chances, once from Maguire, twice from Ndidi - and only Ricardo, Vardy and Iheanacho misplaced a greater percentage of passes than Ndidi - bear in mind their passes as forwards will be of higher risk anyway because they're there to force the issue. Ndidi is a fantastic ball winner, and it's just as well because his distribution is usually what gets us into trouble in the first place. Meanwhile Mendy was our second most accurate passer after Amartey.

How can you possibly claim Periera wasn't close by? You admit Ricardo has just been beaten... You don't send three players out into a five yard area in case the player beats the first two - the cross coming in is because Ricardo and Amartey are beaten too easily. But, let's say Mendy goes out and gets beaten too - is it then Wes' fault for not backing Mendy up? Or is it now Mendys fault for getting beaten? How far does the fault go if a series of players are beaten?

Edited by The Doctor

17 hours ago, Bert said:

Maddison needs to play more central. 

This is the biggest problem for me. It’s obvious to get the best out of Maddison he needs to be playing central so he can dictate. But him playing central also leaves Vardy so isolated. Maddison likes to come deep and get a feel of the ball, but that leaves Vardy on his own. 

We need a change of formation which allows Maddison to play centrally and Vardy to play alongside a strike partner. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

Also, Gylfi scored a worldie. Yes, we gave him too much space for it but that's because they used their extra man to drag apart an opening. We were defending well up until Wes got sent off. I could see the gap in our defence from SK2 - it was good play from Everton.

There was an awful lot of anti Gylfi comments on here, about how we’d not want him at Leicester and all that shite.

He remains a very very capable player in a good side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Oh great, we're back to mocking someone who can't speak a second language perfectly again.

Yes its not very politically correct to do this.

I would say though that a manager needs to have better  communication skills than the players, so it ironic, that the position of centre back; where we have a lot of problems at the moment could be helped by giving a chance to a player who the manager deems to have too little language skills to be introduced into the team. 

18 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

We play the rb at rb and get screams of "He isn't a rb, don't play him there"

Maddion may start out wide, but if anyone notes where he actually plays, it isn't out wide

Out of the 3 centre backs we bought, 1 is on loan to get game time to prep him for next year and the other struggling with the language. Evans being the one able to be brought into the team. 

These aren't as black and white as you make out 

The language issue with Soyuncu is an excuse up there with the 'dog ate my homework sir'.

Pochettino was able to manage in England without being able to speak the language.  It seems that there is something very wrong with this Soyuncu transfer.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, murphy said:

The language issue with Soyuncu is an excuse up there with the 'dog ate my homework sir'.

Pochettino was able to manage in England without being able to speak the language.  It seems that there is something very wrong with this Soyuncu transfer.

Agree. We won the title with a manager that could barely string a sentence together in coherent English. This language issue is a smokescreen. Either Puel doesn't think he's ready for the English style of play, or even worse, just doesn't rate him.

19 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Agree. We won the title with a manager that could barely string a sentence together in coherent English. This language issue is a smokescreen. Either Puel doesn't think he's ready for the English style of play, or even worse, just doesn't rate him.

Agree,Bielsa don't speak English and look how Leeds are doing!

I thought MOTD did a good report on our game tbf.

First goal Kaspers touch took it away from Chilwell to Rich -did Chilwell scream for the ball?Morgan made two pizz poor tackles on half way because he was trying to leave one on Rich simple as that.The guy was giving him a hard time and he got sucked in a very unprofessional way. Sunday league stuff and no excuse on the half way line for gods sake..The second one he should have been off but ref gave him a chance and he messed up again .he should resign frankly puel could and should have done something but didn't .Three points gone and we wil be 12-14th at the reckoning.Is that good enough ?

Finally I think we only had the goal and one other direct shot on goal vardy header ?

12 minutes ago, dynamark said:

I thought MOTD did a good report on our game tbf.

First goal Kaspers touch took it away from Chilwell to Rich -did Chilwell scream for the ball?Morgan made two pizz poor tackles on half way because he was trying to leave one on Rich simple as that.The guy was giving him a hard time and he got sucked in a very unprofessional way. Sunday league stuff and no excuse on the half way line for gods sake..The second one he should have been off but ref gave him a chance and he messed up again .he should resign frankly puel could and should have done something but didn't .Three points gone and we wil be 12-14th at the reckoning.Is that good enough ?

Finally I think we only had the goal and one other direct shot on goal vardy header ?

Ignoring the free header Amartey had, Vardys 1 on 1 and first half header and Chillwell's right footed shot. All good opportunities to score. Don't paint the picture of us having 2 chances.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Ignoring the free header Amartey had, Vardys 1 on 1 and first half header and Chillwell's right footed shot. All good opportunities to score. Don't paint the picture of us having 2 chances.

Agreed. Chilly's shot was so so close too. Couple of inches right and it would be top corner.

Edited by CloudFox

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

What an absolute load of horseshit. In the first half hour loose passes out from the back gave them three half chances, once from Maguire, twice from Ndidi - and only Ricardo, Vardy and Iheanacho misplaced a greater percentage of passes than Ndidi - bear in mind their passes as forwards will be of higher risk anyway because they're there to force the issue. Ndidi is a fantastic ball winner, and it's just as well because his distribution is usually what gets us into trouble in the first place. Meanwhile Mendy was our second most accurate passer after Amartey.

How can you possibly claim Periera wasn't close by? You admit Ricardo has just been beaten... You don't send three players out into a five yard area in case the player beats the first two - the cross coming in is because Ricardo and Amartey are beaten too easily. But, let's say Mendy goes out and gets beaten too - is it then Wes' fault for not backing Mendy up? Or is it now Mendys fault for getting beaten? How far does the fault go if a series of players are beaten?

Like I said - according to some Maendy can do no wrong.

The Sojuncu thing is so obviously bullshit, the guy isnt ready.  

3 hours ago, Bunyip said:

Yes very strange. Did anyone else see Albrighton come on with a piece of paper with instructions to tell the other players what Puel wanted?

This happens all the time with other managers.